I am on a budget for a new shredding machine. Big fan of Metalica and am looking to get a good heavy metal tone. The ESP ltd snakbyte is a bit to costly for so I am looking at the lower end of the market.
I think both the Epiphone 1984 EX and the EX-360 look like pretty decent guitars but which is superior to the other in terms of build quality and most importantly sound. The Epiphone is running a EMG 85/81 where as the ESP is running EMG 60/81
So which produces a better Metalica tone?

Also I have heard that the epiphones fret board can be a bit to thick and wide

My current gear:
Jackson warrior js32
Marshall MG15FXMSDM
Bad monkey distortion pedal
Metalica tone ..

Which one?
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
You're not going to get a good tallica tone with that amp. So plan on upgrading to a good high gain tube amp first like the 6505 combo. As for the guitars I can't speak for the epi, but if you look around you should be able to score a used 1000 series Ltd if you're patient enough. The ex that I tried though was a good guitar and well built but still not up to par with my 1000 series Ltds.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Feb 13, 2015,
Out of the two I'd go for the Epi. But the biggest difference to your tone would be a new amp. I disagree with the 6505 recommendation. It sounds too modern for Metallica.
Perhaps a Marshall JCm900 combo or something similar would be good?
Or a Jet City.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
The Epiphone is a really good guitar for the money. But I think the smarter thing to do is to get a used Gibson Explorer.

I think the 6505+ is a great amp for what you want. It'll do modern Metallica really well. The Jet City is a good recommendation as well, if you live in Europe.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Perhaps a Marshall JCm900 combo or something similar would be good?

Not a great-sounding amp imo.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Epiphone is a really good guitar for the money. But I think the smarter thing to do is to get a used Gibson Explorer.

I think the 6505+ is a great amp for what you want. It'll do modern Metallica really well. The Jet City is a good recommendation as well, if you live in Europe.

Not a great-sounding amp imo.

I didn't mean a Dual Reverb. I mean the Sl-x or whatever it's called. Oh, and If TS doesn't have money for an LTD snakebite(which costs 800 quid), I doubt he would have the money for a Gibson. Finding one would be a miracle.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I said he could get one used. You can find those for about $600, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by ScalaMania
Epi Explorer + 6505 combo.

Good Game.

Honestly, if you like metal you cant go wrong with a 6505.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3