I'm looking to buy a new, unloaded 4X12 (straight). I've heard good things about the Mojotone so I'm leaning there and otherwise looking in that price range ... around $400. Also the Avatar Vintage. Both look to be Marshall 1960 sized (or close ... a good thing). Son Set Beach has a 4X12 but I know nothing about the company and it's a smaller cab ...Orangeesque

Gotta be ply, no MDF or PB. I already own two beaters that are part mdf and part ply.

I've been out of it a while so I may be missing a lot here. So what's the word on the 3 I mentioned, especially the Mojo and Avatar. And what else is out there?

Thanks
The Avatar is just fine and there are a huge number of builders who will cobble together a 4x12 from birch plywood (Kerry Wright, Mills Acoustic, etc.). Most are about 30" x 30" x 14" deep with four holes for speakers and a stick in the center (to keep the back panel from ringing at a frequency that corresponds to the diagonal measurement of the back). Only the cheapest crap is MDF these days, though there is the occasional manufacturer that puts the speakers on an MDF baffle.

Here's another thought, however. Dunno where you are, but here in LA we're seeing 4x12s going for around $200, loaded, used. Pop it open, check the wood and construction quality, make sure you don't have a nest of cockroaches ( a story for another thread), chuck (or sell) the speakers you don't want and fill it up with whatever you like.
I'm about as far from LA as you can get. Must be nice to have your pick at $200. I've been watching for 3 months but there is nothing going around here.
mills, whitebox, emperor, splawn...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't know anything about Mojotone.

Something in my head tells me to steer clear of Sunset Beach cabs. Can't remember specifically but there was something fishy about them.

Just based on my experience I'd tell ya to call Dave at Avatar and order up a 4x12 with your custom colors and ask for the convertible back.

You may also find that a 212 will be more than sufficient as well.

Where are you located BTW?

dspellman - can you link us to some loaded cabinets for $200? My brother in law is in Cali and looking for one. Thanks,
Im pretty much in the middle of nowhere, Florida. Not very close to any major city. I hate craigslist but nothing close has shown up anyway. I watch the GC's but I'm looking for something nice for once, not something I have to get recovered and GC isnt offering any bargains on like new condition stuff. I'd sell off the drivers if something loaded showed up and the sale of the speakers would get me back to budget, but it's looking easier just to buy a new cab.

Mojotone is one of my parts sources, good stuff. Just never looked at their cabs until now. As mentioned, I've pretty much been out of it for a long while. If I dont find anything, it's looking like Mojotone or Avatar are the best bets for the budget. I'm not looking to spend the money on a "boutique" cab.

I can get a Jet City cab, loaded, for cheap. Supposed to be ply but that doesnt mean jack on it's own. Could be garbage ply and poor construction. I'd have to buy sight unseen and I'm not seeing people raving over their cabs.

Thanks
There are a few nice cabs at reasonable prices from GC

here is a mint Marshall 1960A for $349
www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Used-Marshall-1960A-800-Lead-Series-Guitar-Cabinet-110926529-i4184451.gc

Where in FL are you at?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A good used Peavey 6505 cabinet may be an option. GC has them in the $299 range. Solid construction and swap in whatever speakers you want.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
A good used Peavey 6505 cabinet may be an option. GC has them in the $299 range. Solid construction and swap in whatever speakers you want.

you can find better cabs with better speakers for less.

i would just go avatar and be done with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you can find better cabs with better speakers for less.

i would just go avatar and be done with it.

That's looking like the best bet. Thanks
Quote by DG45
Mojotone is one of my parts sources, good stuff. Just never looked at their cabs until now. As mentioned, I've pretty much been out of it for a long while. If I dont find anything, it's looking like Mojotone or Avatar are the best bets for the budget. I'm not looking to spend the money on a "boutique" cab.

Oh Sorry. I meant, I know who Mojotone is, I just had never heard of their cabs.