So I've been playing for a little while with this cheap made-in-China guitar (Ibanez gio series) that I've had for a few years. I never dedicated time to practicing until more recently and it recieved quite a bit of abuse over the years. At this point it's fallen apart for the second time in a row (internal wires coming loose, cable jack straight out falling off).

I took kind of a weird approach to learning guitar, I imagine that a lot of people just start with learning tabs and stuff. Me, I've done a good deal of practicing with different theory concepts, I know all my scale shapes and stuff pretty well, know a good deal of chords, I'm currently working through a music notation foundational book. So I can play some stuff and I've practiced a good deal, but I haven't done much work in the musical styles I really am interested in.

So my question is should I just get my current guitar repaired and hope it holds out for a while? Since I don't really have experience playing the stuff I'm interested in I'm not sure if I'd be in a good position to know exactly what kind of sound I want just trying out guitars in the store. Or does it not matter and I'd be better off finding a guitar to my tastes in the store? I've read and watched several guides on buying a guitar, do you have any additional miscellaneous advice? Thanks!
Last edited by RowanF at Feb 13, 2015,
If the guitar plays ok and the hardware has gone junky, bring it to a tech and get it fixed up. If you're after a new feel, hit the store. Buying used can be tough if you haven't been playing too long
If you're set on getting a new guitar I'd get a Yamaha Pacifica. They're made of decent materials and the pickups will let you play anything.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
It will probably be cheaper to buy a new entry guitar than to fix that one. The Pacifica suggestion is a good one for a strat style guitar.

It really depends on your budget. A used Made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Strat with HSS (Humbucker in the bridge) would be a good choice for a bit more.

Used Epiphone Les Paul is also pretty common.

Not knowing where you want to go, just buy a guitar that you like the looks of and it inspires you to pick it up.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'd vote for getting a new guitar, unless you're seriously attached to this one. Get something you like, something that will make you want to play. Look online for some options and then see if you can try them out somewhere.
Another vote for new. After a certain point, you're just costing yourself time, money and grief with repairs.

First and foremost, look for something that feels good in your hands and against your body. If it isn't comfy, you won't play. Then look at quality of construction (by inspection and by reputation). Make sure the knobs, switches & tuners operate smoothly, without hitches.

Things like pickup sound is relatively minor- those you can always swap out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for the posts. Last time I had it fixed it was pretty straightforward, the dude literally took it from my hands and fixed it in 2 minutes right in front of me, free of charge. It's a little more ****ed up this time, though. Still, I'll try out some guitars while I'm there and if I like one I'll get it.
Quote by RowanF
So my question is should I just get my current guitar repaired and hope it holds out for a while? Since I don't really have experience playing the stuff I'm interested in I'm not sure if I'd be in a good position to know exactly what kind of sound I want just trying out guitars in the store. Or does it not matter and I'd be better off finding a guitar to my tastes in the store? I've read and watched several guides on buying a guitar, do you have any additional miscellaneous advice? Thanks!

No affln., but if you are thinking of getting a new guitar the big internet stores are selling the PRS SE Tremonti singlecut wraptail guitar for a little over five bills, new. It comes in black or trans cherry red and has full binding of body, neck, and headstock. It's a very nice looking guitar. All mahogany.

The SE's are great guitars and this would probably really hit all the tones that you like.

I have not played one of these and only mention it because it is very inexpensive for a PRS SE and is supposed to be a great guitar.

I have the PRS SE Tremonti Custom that is black/grey with a green background tint and has a tremolo and maple wide/thin neck and twin HBs. It is a great guitar.

It might be an excellent choice for you, I don't know. Maybe you can find one to check out, or buy one and return it if you don't like it.

There are a lot of great guitars available out there right now, but this one seems to stand out as a super value so I thought I'd mention it. You might want to check it out on the web page of one of the big internet places.

It is different enough from your Ibanez that I think it might keep you interested and motivate you to want to play.

It's just a thought man. I know I dismissed PRS SE's for years until I got a mint used Singlecut Tremolo one in vintage sunburst for 200 out the door. It is still one of my favorite guitars and sounds great stock. I have had it for three or four years and I always like picking it up.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's always exciting to get a new guitar that is an upgrade from your old one.

It's all up to you, as always, but something to consider.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Thanks for the post man, I'll look into it. Just looking at Google Images that guitar does really appeal to me aesthetically.
I would make you decision on your budget, if its going to cost more for a repair than a new guitar it's a no brainer. But if you have a bit of money for a new guitar go for it.

Personally I've had an Ibanez RGA with stock EMG pickups for a while and i love it, never had a problem with it. Heaps of my mates love their Ibanez's as well.

Hope this helps
Quote by RowanF
Thanks for the post man, I'll look into it. Just looking at Google Images that guitar does really appeal to me aesthetically.

Check out the SE Tremonti singlecut that is very reasonably priced here, no affln.
Click on this link. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PRS-TR-LIST
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Last edited by DuffB at Feb 15, 2015,
Thanks Duffy and Mentos. Duffy, I think I'd prefer to test stuff out with my own hands before I get it, but if I see any of those guitars at the store I'll definitely try one out.