I never thought I would create a thread asking for pickup help...but here I am.

I bought an Ibanez RG921QMF this week and it's loaded with Dimarzio/IBZ pickups. No doubt they'll get the job done but I'm already thinking of tweaking with this guitar a little bit. I've never had a guitar with Dimarzios before so I would like to keep with that and upgrade to a better pair. Problem is I have no idea what sounds good.

I have/had guitars with JBs, 81s, and Invaders so I'm looking for a tight high gain sound. I'm thinking of staying passive with this guitar and any Dimarzio that can get a tight punchy sound is best. The best passive in my arsenal to my ears is my PRS with the Tremonti treble which is similar to a JB so anything along the lines of those.

As far as the neck pickup goes I just use it for clean and the occasional lead when I want that tone. My sound for this particular guitar with my band is ranging from Breaking Benjamin to August Burns Red (hell I hate to self promote but our reverbnation is in my sig...think of what pickup would do that sound).

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys.
i love the crunch lab/liquifire combination. i ave it on my 2570ESVL Prestige.

the crunch lab isn't extremely high output, but its tight. the liquifire screams on a good lead.

my 3550MZ prestige came with ToneZone/Air Norton, and its great, i like the CL/LQ more for leads though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
From those I'm leaning towards the TZ/AN combo based on Dimarzio's website description. Just more of the fact it emphasizes the Tone Zone's low end. Me and the other guitarist often play a game of "hot potato" with the leads and rhythms during a song so having something to fill in the sound helps too along with having note clarity.
Quote by JBailey23
From those I'm leaning towards the TZ/AN combo based on Dimarzio's website description. Just more of the fact it emphasizes the Tone Zone's low end. Me and the other guitarist often play a game of "hot potato" with the leads and rhythms during a song so having something to fill in the sound helps too along with having note clarity.

it does have a little bit more low end, but i don't like where the mids are as much as the CL.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You could go with the old trusty Super Distortion, it has mids, but more bass and treble than mids. I used on in a LP clone for years and it always sounded good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've always heard that was pretty strong. The Invader I had turned me off to super hot passives so idk. The crunch lab option is good. The Evo set is standing out in my head right now...specifically the Evo2 in the bridge. Any opinion on that? Description wise it's checking the right boxes.
Quote by JBailey23
I've always heard that was pretty strong. The Invader I had turned me off to super hot passives so idk. The crunch lab option is good. The Evo set is standing out in my head right now...specifically the Evo2 in the bridge. Any opinion on that? Description wise it's checking the right boxes.

I honestly have very little experience with Dimarzio pickups. I had the SD and what ever come in the Ibanez JS1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I hear ya. I hate that how ever many guitar stores I've been to that none of them really have guitars with Dimarzios. Otherwise I'd practice what I preach and go and try some.
Yeah, I have deff seen more guitars with Duncans in them over the last 20 years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're into a bit scooped mids, I can recommend Steve's Special. It's a very nice pickup.
And so is Crunch Lab I'd go for Air Norton in the neck, love mine.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I really like the FRED in the bridge. It was Joe Satriani's pickup before the Mo' Joe. I like it because it's got a very pronounced middle and tight bass, so leads cut through the mix nicely and rhythms sound defined and even across the strings. I REALLY wish they made a 7 string version
Quote by JBailey23
I never thought I would create a thread asking for pickup help...but here I am.

I bought an Ibanez RG921QMF this week
I have/had guitars with JBs, 81s, and Invaders so I'm looking for a tight high gain sound. I'm thinking of staying passive with this guitar and any Dimarzio that can get a tight punchy sound is best. The best passive in my arsenal to my ears is my PRS with the Tremonti treble which is similar to a JB so anything along the lines of those.

The Dimarzio Steve Vai Evolution set is the best all around H-S-H set they make. If you like trebly pickups that are tight and can cut. So much of it depends on your amps and cabs but if you like the JB this will be in your wheelhouse. I would skip the Evo2 and go for the Evo.

The Evolution positions 2/4 are amazing for clean and are hum cancelling. Work well in basswood and mahogony. Coil split of the Evo bridge is a legit single coil sound.
Last edited by shredcat at Feb 13, 2015,
Quote by CorrosionMedia
I really like the FRED in the bridge. It was Joe Satriani's pickup before the Mo' Joe. I like it because it's got a very pronounced middle and tight bass, so leads cut through the mix nicely and rhythms sound defined and even across the strings. I REALLY wish they made a 7 string version

I love the fred, did not like the Mo Joe. The Mo Joe was too fat and the top was rounded off.
I'm really thinking of going with the Evolution bridge and neck pups. They just seem versatile for what I need...I think lol. Last night was the first time i tried the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups with the band and with my 6505+...they sounded good but maaaaan they were super hot. That was literally the highest I've ever ran my decimator.
^ bear in mind evos (well, the bridge anyway) are pretty hot too. If you don't want hot there are other things I'd consider before an evo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Really the first thing you need to do is get used to working with the pickups you've got - you can't make an informed decision on whether or not to upgrade and if so with what until you know what the guitar's already capable of and where the shortcomings are.

You've said they're super hot pickups, if that's an issue for you then like Dave pointed out the Evos are likewise super hot so they're unlikely to be the answer. The fact is you're going to have to learn to dial your amp in differently to get the best out of the guitar as it currently is, I wouldn't worry about pickups until you're in a position to make a more informed decision.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I know this! I'm just curious about the brand and "shopping" around so I can make an informed decision.
Last edited by JBailey23 at Feb 14, 2015,
The problem is you're kind of putting the cart before the horse. Pickups aren't exackty cheap and you need to be absolutely certain of the problem you're looking to solve with them. However you're not even at the stage of even knowing if there's a problem there to solve in the first place.

If you start getting bogged down in other people's opinions before you've even made your mind up about your own guitar then all you'll do is taint your own experience. The danger is that you'll convince yourself there's something "wrong" with it rather than discovering things for yourself. It takes time to get to know a guitar so focus on that. For all you know the guitar might already be perfect for your needs, but you won't find that out without a bit of time and experimentation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've been around the block awhile, and I agree with everything you're saying. Like I said in my first post "they'll get the job done" and you're right that they may be just fine. Besides having to tweak with my gain and gate settings they sat well in the band mix with my eq still being set for my other guitars. All I wanted to do with this thread was get some feelers out there for something on down the road to consider. I'm the farthest thing from an impulse buyer. Hearing everybody's opinion of their particular pickup got me to look deeper into some things and take in to account what I know with the guitar right now. Ain't no harm in learning, right?

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck like some guys around here
Evos are not "super hot". They have more note separation than most hot pickups and the top is open, almost alnicoish. Output alone does not tell the whole story.