Hello

Bands like In flames, Amon Amarth, At the gates, Entombed, Carcass etc
I had ask about bass guitars a few days ago...now its on ebay one used SR505, for really good price. But I don't know, it will be advantage the 5 string...or just harder to play, becouse of wider neck.
A 5 string bass guitar, usually, has a low B string, so that would be the 5th string, not the 1st string. And yes, bands like those you have mentioned use the low B quite a lot as far as I know, so it would be probably best to get a 5 string bass if you're going to play their songs.
I'm sorry if I had wrote a incomprehensible sentence...
Yes, I know that they use the 5th(B) string...but I don't know that they use the first string or not on 5 string bass...So if I buy a 4 string bass, and tuned in C or B, then will be mis the +1 string or not. I hope you understand my question
Quote by venndi88
I'm sorry if I had wrote a incomprehensible sentence...
Yes, I know that they use the 5th(B) string...but I don't know that they use the first string or not on 5 string bass...So if I buy a 4 string bass, and tuned in C or B, then will be mis the +1 string or not. I hope you understand my question

To be honest, I don't know if they use the first string or not too much. All I know is that the B string is really useful for that type of music.

Personally, I would get a 5 string bass. It's more versatile in my opinion, you would have both B and G strings (5th and 1st). Since I have long fingers, the wider fingerboard isn't a problem for me. You should try to play a 4 string and a 5 string at a local store and see which one feels more comfortable for you. And remember, if you're going to downtune a 4 string bass, it would need a setup, like a truss rod adjustment and a bigger string gauge.

Still, the difference isn't THAT much, and with some practice, you would be able to play a 5 string as well as a 4 string, even if your fingers aren't too long.
AFAIK, Jeff Walker uses a 4-string, just to state that out

The wider neck isn't hard to adapt to. I mean, I thought that too as a 6-string guitar player, but I am very used to my 7-string now. It's not much.

And, as DanyFS has said, there are lots of advantages to 5 strings.

Now, that Ibanez bass however has a very thin neck.. which you can grow used to, but if you're not sure, remember that you've been warned.
Also, if you're interested in that specific bass, try to ask if it has any truss rod problems. My friend had the 6-string version of that bass and well.. let's just say that it turned out to be quite a lemon after a while.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Feb 13, 2015,
The intention of the 5-string is to extend the range of the guitar AND to allow you to do patterns without changing position on the neck. If you simply retune a 4-string, you're doing neither.

If you have good technique to start with, a wider neck won't give you problems. If your technique sucks to start with, it will.
^This man is correct, although I disagree with the last part.
Sure you can get used to playing on a 5-string, then when you want to play your 4-string again you'll need to go through a similar process. I know it's entirely possible to be more than comfortable on both, but I just don't have the time to devote to that cause when I'm busting my balls trying to fire off licks over Giant Steps or Spain and not sound like I'm about to die. Basically I need to play whatever I'm most comfortable with. Which is 4-string Bass, namely my Jaguar.

The only reason they exist is to be able to play more notes in one position, the low B is a nice bonus.
Now you may just not like 5-string basses, that's fine, neither do I, so I set-up one of my basses to BEAD (it's ok I have enough to do what I want with them) and with a proper set-up and a set of .60-1.20 it plays fantastically, and gets a good lot of use. Plenty of bass players will have a B tuned bass in their set-up, on the other hand, plenty of bass players will have a 5-string, it's entirely up to you.

If you're having trouble with position changes on your left hand, or for any other reason you might want to lean towards a five, definitely consider a 5-string (because having that extra string will eliminate the need to move around your left hand as much.)

If you have trouble string skipping, or for any other reason you want to lean towards a four, definitely consider tuning it down and giving it a good set-up (I for example float my thumb to anchor on the bottom string or on the body close to it, so when I play a 5-string if I stop paying attention I suddenly start playing a 5th below :?)
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Last edited by ZaccB at Mar 9, 2015,