Hello

Here is my situation, I currently have a guitar but it's a bad one and in a poor state, sometime the amp looses connection and I get no sound etc.

I am taking guitar lessons and I should buy a new one. Now I can't decide if I should buy a floyd rose or a fixed bridge.

I play songs in drop D (90% of the time) and I was thinking about buying a floyd rose because i use the tremolo in the solos , problem is I can't drop D my floyd rose and if I buy the pre-tuned in drop D I won't be abble to practice in my lessons, the 3 option would be the fixed bridge but then I don't have the tremolo .

What should I do?
Quote by Thrashangel
Hello

Here is my situation, I currently have a guitar but it's a bad one and in a poor state, sometime the amp looses connection and I get no sound etc.

I am taking guitar lessons and I should buy a new one. Now I can't decide if I should buy a floyd rose or a fixed bridge.

I play songs in drop D (90% of the time) and I was thinking about buying a floyd rose because i use the tremolo in the solos , problem is I can't drop D my floyd rose and if I buy the pre-tuned in drop D I won't be abble to practice in my lessons, the 3 option would be the fixed bridge but then I don't have the tremolo .

What should I do?

Depends on your budget. If you can only afford a cheap double locking trem, don't buy it. It will bring you nothing but grief.
We'll need to know more to give you any detailed advice, so budget, what style you play, roughly where you are(nearest city)....(read [url="https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696[this thread[/url"]).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Thank you for the fast reply, my budget is abour 500 euros or 650 dollars. I play metal, things like early metallica, pantera, megadeth, slayer, and I don't live in the US, but to get the guitar won't be a problem.
I would get something like a used LTD or something. Do you have any preferences(Floyd, Kahler, active, passive etc)?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Well, around your price range, something like an Ibanez s520 might suit. There's also the Jackson soloist that comes in about there.

I wouldn't rule out used, but that depends a great deal on your local market.

EDIT: As for the tuning, if you get one with a licensed FR, a drop d-tuna should take care of that, though ofc it will add to the cost.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Feb 13, 2015,
Quote by Thrashangel
Well I would like to get the floyd problem is the tuning w/ the nuts and all.

If you'd buy used with that budget tuning wouldn't be a problem. Have you looked at any guitars you fancy?

Quote by slapsymcdougal

EDIT: As for the tuning, if you get one with a licensed FR, a drop d-tuna should take care of that, though ofc it will add to the cost.

A d-tuna? How would that help? I think you meant tremsetter.
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Feb 13, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
If you'd buy used with that budget tuning wouldn't be a problem. Have you looked at any guitars you fancy?

A d-tuna? How would that help? I think you meant tremsetter.

He said in his OP he likes to play in drop d, but will need to be in standard for lessons. The drop d tuna is an easy way to switch between the 2.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
He said in his OP he likes to play in drop d, but will need to be in standard for lessons. The drop d tuna is an easy way to switch between the 2.

Oh, yeah. But if TS will want to pull up as well as down then he'd be screwed.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Oh, yeah. But if TS will want to pull up as well as down then he'd be screwed.

As an alternative, there's always a hardtail and a digitech whammy.
Quote by Diemon Dave
is there a reason that you can't do your lessons tuned to drop D? it's only one string that is different and you can transpose what is played there easy enough. just wondering.

D - tuna seems like a reasonable compromise. ok you can't pull up not that big of a deal.
I will consider the D-tuna and I will ask my teacher if it would be ok to play in drop D
get a second hand variax with a trem. Detune at the turn of a knob. Simples.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
As an alternative, there's always a hardtail and a digitech whammy.

True, or IMO I'd just get a second hardtail guitar for TS's alternate tunings. That's what I would do if I had the money. Something cheap and decent like the Harley Benton series.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
True, or IMO I'd just get a second hardtail guitar for TS's alternate tunings. That's what I would do if I had the money. Something cheap and decent like the Harley Benton series.

It's the money that's the issue. His budget is 500 Euros(according to google, just shy of $570), so even a budget brand like HB will eat up about a 1/3 of his available cash.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's the money that's the issue. His budget is 500 Euros(according to google, just shy of $570), so even a budget brand like HB will eat up about a 1/3 of his available cash.

True. I'd just get a hartail guitar for now TBH.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
True. I'd just get a hartail guitar for now TBH.

Yea, will probably get the best bang for buck that way.

Just had a squizz through Thomann, there's a fair bit in that price bracket.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by crackerjack123
get a second hand variax with a trem. Detune at the turn of a knob. Simples.

One Variax comes with a Floyd (just one) -- the JTV-89F. It's a helluva guitar, but thin on the ground used. Maybe one or two on my eBay today. But it's a great solution.
If your taking lessons and need to be in E standard I would just go for a hard tail right now. If you plan on staying in drop D all the time then it might be benificial to learn everything in Drop D. Of course talk with your teacher and see what he/she thinks about that. I just bought my first guitar with a DL trem and ive been playing since 2001. I can't wait for it to arrive im going to keep it in E standard for now and use my fixed bridge DOT for alternate tunings.