Page 1 of 2
hello!

I want to play with very heavy metal sound, black metal, death metal, thrash metal, etc

1) do I need a specific guitar or any would do?

2) I was told I need the Line 6 Spider amplifier, is it the best? the III or the IV?

3) do I need extra equipment? anything good with various sound effects?

4) also can I play drums and piano by scratching my guitar?

thanks!
Quote by guitaror
hello!

I want to play with very heavy metal sound, black metal, death metal, thrash metal, etc

2) I was told I need the Line 6 Spider amplifier, is it the best? the III or the IV?

thanks!

hard to tell if this is a joke or not.
Quote by monwobobbo
hard to tell if this is a joke or not.

My vote is on joke. More and more posts these days seem to be of this sort.
Quote by guitaror
hello!

thanks!

^This is what happens when one smokes Killer Weed!

At least; I hope it is!

TS; please tell us that you are not serious about this!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
^This is what happens when one smokes Killer Weed!

At least; I hope it is!

TS; please tell us that you are not serious about this!

or at least share
line 6 amps are the biggest pieces of crap on the market. go with either a marshall or peavey. if you go with a peavey, it needs to have been made after 2000. for metal, a shecter will do very nicely, as they are cheap, adaptable, and sound good. also, as far as effects, get a wah and a phaser.
1) Any good quality guitar with decent humbuckers. Dean, Ibanez, Kramer, LTD, Jacksons, and Schecters are all good for metal.

2) Blackstar amps are really good. People will suggest a marshell, but they don't sound good. Line 6 amps and peavy amps are pretty cool because they have nice effects built into them.

3) Almost any pedal from BOSS or Digitech will do. if you want a wah pedal, use a crybaby.

4) doing scratching sounds on your guitar is helps with the rhythm
1. Guitar with humbuckers
2.The line 6 is shit.
3.You don't need anything else besides maybe a noise gate,
4.No, you can't.

Quote by tycoonman123

2) Blackstar amps are really good. People will suggest a marshell, but they don't sound good. Line 6 amps and peavy amps are pretty cool because they have nice effects built into them.

EDIT:And Marshalls eat Blackstar alive.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
the line6 will be good for now, has some effects. When you know how to play a bit, invest in a better amp and guitar. You can pick one up super cheap, get the III I guess price wise.
can you suggest me a complete setup, with maybe two-three alternatives?
I think among SS amps Line 6 aren't bad... one good thing about modelling amps is that you can try out which kind of sound you like, and base a later, more expensive purchase on that.

edit: I don't think they're the best though, at least not for my taste. I have a Spider and a Vox VT, and I prefer the latter. It's a hybrid amp, which means it uses a valve to produce more natural overdrive, just feels and sounds better to me.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Feb 14, 2015,
I am really confused

Someone says "Any good quality guitar with decent humbuckers", which are these humbuckers? You mean the EMG81-85 bridge? Well, someone else in this forum told me that any humbuckers would do and I should more select a proper amp, than humbuckers, like a Line 6 Spider III.

I am not looking to play in concerts or something, so that I would need very powerful amps etc, I will only play at home, I just want it to sound right

The other one says "you will only need a noise gate", the other one says I will need a pedal or a crybaby (I don't know what is this at all and google doesn't help)

Where can I get some serious advice?

It is impossible to go to a store and try, because the store will have limited variation, and I won't be able to make the best out of each equipment, and the set up will vary, etc etc, it's simply impossible, I need objective facts
Last edited by guitaror at Feb 14, 2015,
Objective fact: when it comes to the question of "What gear do I need for _________ type of music?", there are no objective facts.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by guitaror
I am really confused

Someone says "Any good quality guitar with decent humbuckers", which are these humbuckers? You mean the EMG81-85 bridge? Well, someone else in this forum told me that any humbuckers would do and I should more select a proper amp, than humbuckers, like a Line 6 Spider III.

I am not looking to play in concerts or something, so that I would need very powerful amps etc, I will only play at home, I just want it to sound right

The other one says "you will only need a noise gate", the other one says I will need a pedal or a crybaby (I don't know what is this at all and google doesn't help)

Where can I get some serious advice?

It is impossible to go to a store and try, because the store will have limited variation, and I won't be able to make the best out of each equipment, and the set up will vary, etc etc, it's simply impossible, I need objective facts

dude what you need is to put together a coherent ?. your original post comes off like a bad joke or that you are a total noob. this post is no better. you certainly don't need a powerful amp to play at home.

you want help fine. i don't want to waste my time on nonsense. so can you put together a statement that is serious.
Quote by monwobobbo
dude what you need is to put together a coherent ?. your original post comes off like a bad joke or that you are a total noob. this post is no better. you certainly don't need a powerful amp to play at home.

you want help fine. i don't want to waste my time on nonsense. so can you put together a statement that is serious.

This.

TS, read the first post here and get back to us.
Well you have a problem then, because there are no "objective facts" when it comes to music, because each person likes a different tone, different guitars and everything in between. Still, i guess we can answer some of the questions.

First, humbuckers are pickups that look like this:

They are generaly considered better for high gain sounds because they dont produce as much humming as single coils. Get a guitar with this kind of pickups. Yes, EMG 81 and 85 are also humbuckers, but you dont really need those for metal.

As far as amp and effects go, everybody likes different things. In my oppinion, the best choice for you would be a Peavy Vypyr Tube. It has a bunch of effects on it, so you dont need any more pedals, and it can produce some nice tones. And since it is very flexible, it will allow you to find what kind of tone you like with time.

For the guitar, like i said, get something with humbuckers. The best way to buy a guitar, is to go to a guitar store and try some out. Its much more important for the guitar to fit nicely into your hand, than for it to have the "objectively the best" pickups or whatever. Just try a bunch out and see what feels best for you, and you will deal with the tone later at home. Common "metal" brands are Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, LTD, so i would start there.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Common "metal" brands are Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, LTD, so i would start there.

Other common ones include Dean, BC Rich, Fernandes. DBZ, Minarik, Oktober, and a bunch of others are out there, too.

guitaror, part of the reason why there are so many different recommendations is because there are hundreds- if not thousands- of guitar makers. There are even more pedal makers. Pickup and amp makers are also quite numerous.

And- depending on the makers' design goals- that equipment will vary greatly in tonal flexibility.

Result: there are literally more combinations of gear that will deliver the tones you want than can be listed. Some will be easier to work with- thus "better"- but even the most common combos will number in the double digits, and may cover a wide range of gear. And prices.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 14, 2015,
TS needs this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/this_craigslist_guitar_advert_is_utterly_bonkers.html

But seriosult, don't get a Spider, it is crap. There are better amps available for the same price with similar features.

Don't buy a noise gate. They are really only needed for live playing/recording. You won't sound that noisy if you are playing at a low volume. And also, usually modeling amps have some kind of noise gates built in. Don't buy one unless you use extremely high gain and high volume.

You don't need any effect pedals. Modeling amps have all the effects you need built into them.

Going to a store and trying stuff is the best way to figure out what you like. Yes, you have less options than buying online but I think it's more important to be able to try stuff than have a lot of options (that you can't try). Music stores still usually have some variety.

And yeah, it's about opinions. There are no objective facts. Get a versatile modeling amp like Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube. Get a guitar that feels good in your hands. Most guitars can do most genres.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
What's your budget?

There are no objective facts but at the same time there are rough rules of thumb which can be helpful (especially for a new player who has no clue about guitar gear), and if you look at what most people use when playing in a certain genre, there normally is some correlation between the type of tone(s) required and the type of gear which is used.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
guys, I can't find a used Peavy Vypyr Tube
so can you suggest me an alternative?
remember, I want to play death metal, black metal and have as many effects as possible
thanks!
Quote by Knarrenheino
I don't believe anyone would create a forum thread as a joke

Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by guitaror
remember, I want to play death metal, black metal and have as many effects as possible
thanks!

budget and where you are would help. peavey 6505+ combo would be your best bet. as for fx well perhaps a muti-fx unit would be the plan. either that or your going to have to decide what you actually need and get pedals as you can.
Quote by guitaror
thanks!

Then get a new Peavy Vypyr tube. You still haven't given a budget.

If you spray your guitar with aerosol cheese you will get a good piano and drum sound. It's an industry secret.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Last edited by gorgthemeatpile at Feb 20, 2015,
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Then get a new Peavy Vypyr tube. You still haven't given a budget.

If you spray your guitar with aerosol cheese you will get a good piano and drum sound. It's an industry secret.

vypyr tube is currently out of production so he can't buy new. Dude shhh....... don't tell about cheese whiz tone.
Quote by monwobobbo
vypyr tube is currently out of production so he can't buy new. Dude shhh....... don't tell about cheese whiz tone.

Few know that Eddie Van Halen's "Brown Sound" was named after the aged aerosol cheese that had hardened in his guitar's electronic cavities.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Few know that Eddie Van Halen's "Brown Sound" was named after the aged aerosol cheese that had hardened in his guitar's electronic cavities.

Looks legit.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
come on guys don't destroy my thread

my budget is rather limited, I am looking for a bargain around 50 pounds
Then stop looking, because you will not get anything decent for that amount of money. MAYBE you can get some sort of used POD, but it will be an older generation. The best thing for that money is to get a behinger guitar link and some amp sims on your computer. LePou has some great free ones. But you wont get any good amps, modelers, multi fx or whatever for that money.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by guitaror
hello!

thanks!

you mean the thread that started like this? really.

sorry if folks need a little fun here and there. you want to be taken seriously well start acting serious. we're more than happy to help but you have to do your part.

50 pounds might get a pocket POD
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 21, 2015,
Quote by gorkyporky
Then stop looking, because you will not get anything decent for that amount of money. MAYBE you can get some sort of used POD, but it will be an older generation. The best thing for that money is to get a behinger guitar link and some amp sims on your computer. LePou has some great free ones. But you wont get any good amps, modelers, multi fx or whatever for that money.

you are wrong, on ebay a Peavey Vypyr 15 sells for less than 50 pounds

isn't this the amp you recommended me?

I am talking for 50 pounds just for the amp, not with a guitar included
Quote by guitaror
you are wrong, on ebay a Peavey Vypyr 15 sells for less than 50 pounds

isn't this the amp you recommended me?

I am talking for 50 pounds just for the amp, not with a guitar included

that is the lowest end vypryr. 15 watts and doesn't have any fx just a couple of amp models. for a total beginner amp it's fine past that not so much.
I don't care much about the wattage, I will only play at home in low volume

but I need as many fx as possible

maybe a Roland Micro Cube is the golden ratio?
you need a bigger budget to get what you want. why exactly do you feel that you need a bunch of fx?
I need many fx to experiment
but if I can get them from another equipment to attach it to the amp or even with software that's fine by me

why exactly I need a bigger budget to get what I want?
Quote by guitaror
I need many fx to experiment
but if I can get them from another equipment to attach it to the amp or even with software that's fine by me

why exactly I need a bigger budget to get what I want?

cuz you won't find an amp that cheap that has what you want. even if you get a multi-fx unit to go with the amp as you suggest that requiers more money.

how long have you been playing?
Quote by guitaror
I play classical guitar many years

how bout electric and specifically death metal etc.
Page 1 of 2