Hello all, fairly new to this so if the answer is on here and im repeating im sorry. just wondering about what angle people approach writing fairly technical melodeath songs from on guitar. on my travels through the internet I have found ways to get from beginner to intermediate in the techniques part and can pull them off fairly well but Its like the world skips a stage and I cant find anything to help become more advanced, just wondering if some one could shed some light on riff and song composition or recommend a tab or two that could help get up to spec in this area. two bands to check out that im aiming at who are fairly local to me if you have the chance to check out are Cryostorm and Cambion. thank you.
Hey man. I'm a huge fan of heavy metal, and have recently begun writing my own riffs for variety of styles. Here are a tonne of tips for ya.
Now, know that a jump from intermediate to advanced is a bigger jump than beginner to intermediate. Im intermediate I'd say, but I find many handy sweep picking guides and whatnot. If you're looking for tonnes of interesting advanced stuff, I highly recommend looking up "ZeGuitarist" (He's a user on here) and his "Ultimate Guide to Guitar", its super helpful.
Rocksmith! I know Rocksmith gets a lot of hate for being untraditional, but that's just by selfish righteous pricks mainly. I've never taken guitar lessons, but a year on Rocksmith has me playing better than people I know who've been under a teacher for years, and it teaches a number of advanced techniques. Not to mention, it teaches you TONNES of different styles of song, which is essential when writing your own music. The higher your understanding of the music you like, the better your riffs will be.
Guitar Tone! I know you can just write riffs to any tone, sorta.. But I find when writing thrash or death, throwing on a super distorted tone will make a hell of a difference and inspire me to no ends!
Tuning. Yes, tuning! How many black metal songs you heard in standard tuning? Because I can't think of any! What you need is drop tunings. And no, not drop D. It's just not metal enough I find! I play in either Open C, (which could take some learning), Drop C or even Drop B. You'll find these tunings add an extra depth to your playing. Shred some power chords and you'll have a death metal song in any time. Throw a simple two hand tapping sequence over the top and suddenly its melodic! Add in some growling (Doesn't even have to have lyrics! Just growl), and voila, METAL!
I'm sure there are far more experienced people than me out there for this, but I hope this helps.
MileyAK
That was legitimately one of the all around least helpful responses I have heard in a long time. Most of it was largely unrelated to what was being asked and the stuff that was even somewhat related:

Tuning. Yes, tuning! How many black metal songs you heard in standard tuning? Because I can't think of any!

...was completely inaccurate (since the vast majority of black metal is played in standard). And that wasn't even particularly relevant to what TS asked.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
That was legitimately one of the all around least helpful responses I have heard in a long time. Most of it was largely unrelated to what was being asked and the stuff that was even somewhat related:

...was completely inaccurate (since the vast majority of black metal is played in standard). And that wasn't even particularly relevant to what TS asked.

Y'know, you could have just said, "Man, you've got it all wrong. That's not what he's asking" instead of being a knob about it. That was totally unnecessary and if you're such a bloody metal god, why don't /you/ answer his question?
MileyAK
Quote by theogonia777

Because frankly, I'm sure he doesn't find your complaining all that helpful either.
MileyAK
I don't know about that. I tend to find people telling me to avoid bad information to be just as helpful as receiving good information. In fact, bad information can hurt a lot more than good information can help in many situations.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
milesak cheers for that ill look into him and try a few of those, and theogonia777 thank you ill bear that in mind. my guitar is stuck in drop C for now cus of the Floyd so id be using that. im gratefull for any and all tips you can offer.
Tuning is really not particularly important. There are technical death metal bands such as Atheist that did pretty much everything in standard. That being said, drop C, D standard, and C# standard tend to be particularly common tunings.