Ok so, First off I'm new to the this site... Well actually the forums, been using the "site" for years for tabs, and the information I discovered on these forums helped me alot so Thanks guys!

I've been playing guitar for little over a year. Always had one but really just got over the frustration last January and really just committed.. That's when I decided to upgrade from a Marshall 10W amp to a Fender FM212r. Now that I'm better and found and what music I like to play I decided to go with a Krank Rev jr. Pro 20W. Got a good deal on it and I'm really excited to go tube. But not just ready yet to go with a cab. I will if I have to but really the fender looks like it could possibly do the job. So I wanna connect the two and wanted your guys input on it.

Questions now.

The Fender is a 100W RMS 4 Ohm wired in parallel so 2 50W 8 ohms speakers.

Now the Krank is a 20W output.. So in order to hook them up together would I be able to get away with hooking up one speaker from the Frontman directly into the speaker jack on the Krank set to 8 ohms? Which again would be a 50W RMS speaker with a 20W RMS head.

Further more. What if I use "Send" from the Krank and plug it into "PWR IN" of the Fender, Would this be a better setup? Would I be "BY-PASSING" anything that is of advantage of the Krank amp?

I tried searching and really didn't find what I was looking for and my amp is expected to come in any day now. Really cant wait for it to be honest.

So what are your guys thoughts on this?
Quote by thenewguy330
Ok so, First off I'm new to the this site... Well actually the forums, been using the "site" for years for tabs, and the information I discovered on these forums helped me alot so Thanks guys!

welcome

Quote by thenewguy330
I've been playing guitar for little over a year. Always had one but really just got over the frustration last January and really just committed.. That's when I decided to upgrade from a Marshall 10W amp to a Fender FM212r. Now that I'm better and found and what music I like to play I decided to go with a Krank Rev jr. Pro 20W. Got a good deal on it and I'm really excited to go tube. But not just ready yet to go with a cab. I will if I have to but really the fender looks like it could possibly do the job. So I wanna connect the two and wanted your guys input on it.

the speakers on that frontman aren't great, but it'll get you by until you can save up for a cab.

Quote by thenewguy330
The Fender is a 100W RMS 4 Ohm wired in parallel so 2 50W 8 ohms speakers.

Now the Krank is a 20W output.. So in order to hook them up together would I be able to get away with hooking up one speaker from the Frontman directly into the speaker jack on the Krank set to 8 ohms? Which again would be a 50W RMS speaker with a 20W RMS head.

yes. switch the krank over to 8 ohm operation and use one of the speakers on the frontman.

you also have the option of rewiring the cab in series and making the cab 16 ohms, then you can run the krank in 16 ohm and use both speakers.

also, you can get speaker cables with spade connectors, this one is expensive as hell but i have found much cheaper versions

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/monster-cable-performer-600-combo-amp-1-4-to-faston-speaker-cable
Quote by thenewguy330
Further more. What if I use "Send" from the Krank and plug it into "PWR IN" of the Fender, Would this be a better setup? Would I be "BY-PASSING" anything that is of advantage of the Krank amp?

you would still want the krank plugged into it's speaker jack. the power amp on the krank really should have a speaker plugged in whenever it is on.

you would be bypassing the Krank's power amp though and you would be using the frontman's power amp instead. the frontman's power amp would probably be less 'colorful' at than the Krank. this may be preferable, but i doubt it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 13, 2015,
If it were me I would rewire the spkrs in series and run in 16 ohm. Those are "lowest bidder" speakers in the 212 though so you will soon want to get a nice cab matched to your amp to really find your tone. Avatar has lots of good choices for reasonable $$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for the replies

I didn't think of the whole series thing but I guess that would work aswell. It's alright though that there 100 watts? or it doesn't really matter?

And for speakers or cabs.. When I'm ready for a speaker upgrade which I've been way past due.. I'll upgrade those and store them in the FM for the time being. I'm a DIY kind of guy so I might just build a cab of some sort.
Last edited by thenewguy330 at Feb 13, 2015,
Quote by gumbilicious
also, you can get speaker cables with spade connectors, this one is expensive as hell but i have found much cheaper versions

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/monster-cable-performer-600-combo-amp-1-4-to-faston-speaker-cable

Damn, thats expensive.
And just a note...
Compare the 3rd and 4th picture.
Does something look a little "off" to you?
Does to me.
Maybe I'm just distrusting of Monster Cables.
Although I do have, and am satisfied with, one of their power conditioners.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 13, 2015,
I would also figure out a killer way to transition the speakers from one amp to the other. Radioshack goes a long way lol.
Quote by thenewguy330
Thanks for the replies

I didn't think of the whole series thing but I guess that would work aswell. It's alright though that there 100 watts? or it doesn't really matter?

Speaker power ratings mean "maximum recommended power" so anything below 100w is safe to use.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by CodeMonk
Damn, thats expensive.
And just a note...
Compare the 3rd and 4th picture.
Does something look a little "off" to you?
Does to me.
Maybe I'm just distrusting of Monster Cables.
Although I do have, and am satisfied with, one of their power conditioners.

i generally just make my own, a few bucks at radio shack (like the thenewguy mentioned)

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i generally just make my own, a few bucks at radio shack (like the thenewguy mentioned)

FYI radioshack is in bankruptcy and most (if not all) stores are closing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cajundaddy
If it were me I would rewire the spkrs in series and run in 16 ohm. Those are "lowest bidder" speakers in the 212 though so you will soon want to get a nice cab matched to your amp to really find your tone. Avatar has lots of good choices for reasonable $$.

Or you could just remove the amp chassis from the FM212 and put a sized and cut piece of board in there to fill in where the amp's control panel was (to make the Fender "cabinet" look better) and just use the old amp as a real, dedicated two by twelve cabinet.

Doing this amp cabinet conversion to just a plain speaker cabinet with the amp chassis removed would look good.

Then you could put some real good new replacement speakers like Eminence twelve inch ones right in there where the stock junk speakers are and have a very nice Fender style cabinet. Some Eminence "Swamp Thang" twelve inch speakers or some "Texas Heat" speakers would bolt right up to the old speaker mounts when you remove the old speakers. There are a lot of other great Eminence speakers too, at very low and affordable prices at places like musiciansfriend.com oramericanmusical.com that you can get for about 65 dollars each. Even buy one at a time if you want to spread the expense out over time.

Two real nice Eminence speakers like the "Swamp Thangs" would make that newly converted Fender cabinet into a real nice cabinet. The wiring is simple to weire it fo what you want. Just buy 8 ohm speakers and wire them according to the wiring diagrams on Google search.

The "Swamp Thangs" are like 104dB sensitivity rated which means that it would make that amp about twice as loud as it was with the stock speakers if the old chassis was still in it, but removing the chassis and making it into a really nice looking cabinet conversion would really be cool. Just cut out a piece of wood to fit into where the control knob panel was on the FM212.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
FYI radioshack is in bankruptcy and most (if not all) stores are closing.

i didn't outright know that, but i could have guessed considering they haven't been stocked as well over the past two years. it upsets me considering now i will have to order my small parts online exclusively now, no more running out to the store to finish an electronics project.

but you can still get speaker wire and spade connectors from just about any hardware store, and if anyone doesn't have and old broken patch cord to harvest a TS connector then they need to contact me to tell me what i am doing wrong.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i didn't outright know that, but i could have guessed considering they haven't been stocked as well over the past two years. it upsets me considering now i will have to order my small parts online exclusively now, no more running out to the store to finish an electronics project.

but you can still get speaker wire and spade connectors from just about any hardware store, and if anyone doesn't have and old broken patch cord to harvest a TS connector then they need to contact me to tell me what i am doing wrong.

i know. also no more place to go when a fuse pops.

but yea, they have been going down for a long time. the last few times i have been there and asked the salesman where i could find a 220k owm resistor, and he hardly knew what one was
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Good heads up duffb, and thanks for the responses guys! I got the jack and spades still waiting on the head. But really what I payed for the FM212... It would be cheaper then to make a box or buy a cab..

Radioshacks 9V power supplies suck balls. Alot of squeal through my current pedal.. although I fried it last night using a wrong supply of power.. Smoke everywhere and yet it still plays with a 9VBATT without any noise.. Wonder what effed up there..
how is the chassis wired to the speakers? is there a plug on the chassis? wires out?

if you have wires coming out of the chassis, i would take them and get a receptacle and connect that to the wires from the chassis. then i would take the speakers and wire those into another receptacle on the cab.

to use this, take a speaker cable (not an instrument cable) from the chassis to the speakers, or the other head from the speakers out into the speaker connection receptacle. and you would be fine.

so you could connect the chassis to the speakers via cable, or the head to the speakers.

i tried to state this as clearly as possible, and i think i used receptacle too many times. but you know what i mean
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!