Page 1 of 2
Hi guys
im a beginner in guitar i never held a guitar before these days i have alot of free time so i decided to buy a guitar and start learning and i came across these three guitar in amazon and i dont know which one to buy so please help me out
http://www.amazon.com/Silvertone-SS10-Citation-Guitar-Package/dp/B000BU42LM/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Package-Includes-Instructional/dp/B000WY3HPO/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Sawtooth-ST-ES-BKB-KIT-2-Electric-Guitar-Pickguard/dp/B00FN9D5OG/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

thnx in advance
Honestly those guitars will probably fall apart in a few months, I'd save up a little more and go for a Squier Affinity Stratocaster starter pack, I have one of those from 1997 and it's still going strong
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by 'DC fan
Honestly those guitars will probably fall apart in a few months, I'd save up a little more and go for a Squier Affinity Stratocaster starter pack, I have one of those from 1997 and it's still going strong

^This is completely true.
Another option you might consider is buying used. I've only ever bought a single guitar new, and when I sold it, I lost a lot of money because it had a low resale value. Don't discredit used gear. Just make sure you try it out before you buy it, if at all possible.
Quote by 'DC fan

i checked squier guitar on amazon and it is over my budget i want to buy a guitar in the rang from 100 to 150 $ but i think ill add extra 50 and buy squire, ill wait for someone who tried one of these three to tell me his opinion of the three
Quote by maddog61
^This is completely true.
Another option you might consider is buying used. I've only ever bought a single guitar new, and when I sold it, I lost a lot of money because it had a low resale value. Don't discredit used gear. Just make sure you try it out before you buy it, if at all possible.

where i live there is no near music store so the only option i have is to buy it online do u know such website for selling used guitars ?
Ebay is good for used gear, though preferably I'd go check it out personally before buying it, though usually it's good
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I'd say that you should listen to these guys and not buy any of those three guitars.

A good idea might be to call a Guitar Center and ask the salesman if he has a nice used guitar for the money you want to spend. I would ask to talk to the manager. He might make you an offer on a great used guitar that you can't refuse, or offer you a decent guitar and a used amp within your budget. They want to sell that used stuff and care about beginners like you.

You would get free shipping and be able to return the guitar within "x" number of days if you are not satisfied with it; then try another one.

Believe me, you can talk to these Guitar Center managers and they will offer you great deals because they want to make a sale.

You will be able to get a "way" nicer guitar, plus amp for what you want to spend if you do something like I mentioned above.

Give it a try man. Those cheap guitar packs are always real low quality and sometimes almost completely unplayable. You might get lucky, but buying a used item, recommended by a Guitar Center manager, you are going to be "way" ahead of the game and a happier person. It's just a phone call away.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
thank u so much guys, ill try to call a music store and look for used gear on ebay if both will be over my budget ill go for Squier by fendor
Out of those the Rondo package might work ok. The amps are not going to be any good. I know there are a few players out there who like the Rondo music stuff. you might be better off buying both separate. I would suggest a headphone amp you will get more tones and effects for the money and you can be quiet to not annoy the neighbors.
Reverb.com is another good option for finding used gear. I did a little search for you, and got 500+ results.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?query=Guitar&product_type=electric-guitars&category=solid-body&price_max=170&commit=Filter

If you have any questions about what you see there, ask!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might want to check this out. This is a very well built Korean built guitar that comes with one of the best return policies of all music stores.

I think you could really dig this guitar. I have two similar models of these and they are some of my favorites.

Click this link to go to the page of this awesome Agile AL-2000 LP copy guitar.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product6791.html

This is 199 dollars.

For 15 more dollars

These are solid mahogany with mahogany necks and rosewood fretboards and other quality parts. Beautiful Agile Al-2000 LP copy guitars. Better than Epiphones in the opinion of many.

I really dig these guitars. Then find an inexpensive used amp locally.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Last edited by DuffB at Feb 14, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Reverb.com is another good option for finding used gear. I did a little search for you, and got 500+ results.
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?query=Guitar&product_type=electric-guitars&category=solid-body&price_max=170&commit=Filter

If you have any questions about what you see there, ask!

I added more 100$ to my budget I'm looking for electric guitar package not more than 250$ I did a search i reverb.com and I find a lot of guitars packages in the range of my budget so please guys help me to pick the right guitar for me
Quote by DuffB
You might want to check this out. This is a very well built Korean built guitar that comes with one of the best return policies of all music stores.

I think you could really dig this guitar. I have two similar models of these and they are some of my favorites.

Click this link to go to the page of this awesome Agile AL-2000 LP copy guitar.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product6791.html

This is 199 dollars.

For 15 more dollars

These are solid mahogany with mahogany necks and rosewood fretboards and other quality parts. Beautiful Agile Al-2000 LP copy guitars. Better than Epiphones in the opinion of many.

I really dig these guitars. Then find an inexpensive used amp locally.

Thank you Mr DUFFB I'll check these guitars but I prefer if they come with an an amp and every thing needed to start practice
Quote by nothing2say2011
Thank you Mr DUFFB I'll check these guitars but I prefer if they come with an an amp and every thing needed to start practice

When you buy those packs it is often the case that the stuff you get is not up to the level of these examples above. That website does sell some very inexpensive amps though. Check them out. Getting a decent but affordable amp, separately from the guitar, from a regular internet place could be a good idea. Free shipping. Quick delivery. Check out how little you can pay for a decent little amp on one of those sites. You would likely be better off doing that type of approach.

Others here have probably had similar experiences. My advice would be to consider getting the stuff separately at the best deal you can make.
Quote by DuffB
When you buy those packs it is often the case that the stuff you get is not up to the level of these examples above. That website does sell some very inexpensive amps though. Check them out. Getting a decent but affordable amp, separately from the guitar, from a regular internet place could be a good idea. Free shipping. Quick delivery. Check out how little you can pay for a decent little amp on one of those sites. You would likely be better off doing that type of approach.

Others here have probably had similar experiences. My advice would be to consider getting the stuff separately at the best deal you can make.

totally agree. starter packs are aimed more at parents looking to buy for their kids without thinking about it. quality just isn't there usually. there are some more expensive starter sets that aren't bad but once again when you spend that much buynig seperate generally results in better stuff.
agreed.

even if the quality is there very rarely will you want the amp to be made by the same company which is making the guitar. you're narrowing down your options needlessly. granted, it might be a little cheaper but normally almost everything in those starter packs (straps, picks etc.) are the absolute cheapest examples available.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed.

even if the quality is there very rarely will you want the amp to be made by the same company which is making the guitar. you're narrowing down your options needlessly. granted, it might be a little cheaper but normally almost everything in those starter packs (straps, picks etc.) are the absolute cheapest examples available.

wait.... so what are you saing? you mean Slash really doesn't use the guitar and amp in his starter pack
Guys I desided to by the gears separately and I did a little digging and find these three guitars
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-chrome-hardware-heritage-cherry-sunburst

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-grg170dx-black-night

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-rs1-beginners-electric-guitar-black
All the three are within my budget range..so which one should I pick
Out of those 3, get the epiphone LP.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by pantallica87
Out of those 3, get the epiphone LP.

Thank u..but how about the amp I want a good amp which I can use headphon with it for self practice..any suggestions?
Peavey Vyper
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
I got a chinese squire strat back in 2004 and that was great to learn on, it's beaten to hell but still sounds pretty decent, I would recommend that to anyone
Quote by monwobobbo
wait.... so what are you saing? you mean Slash really doesn't use the guitar and amp in his starter pack

hehe

Quote by nothing2say2011
Guys I desided to by the gears separately and I did a little digging and find these three guitars
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-chrome-hardware-heritage-cherry-sunburst

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-grg170dx-black-night

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-rs1-beginners-electric-guitar-black
All the three are within my budget range..so which one should I pick

what is your budget exactly, and is it flexible?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pantallica87
Peavey Vyper

thnx man..i checked it out and it is a little bit above my budget
Quote by peppersauzer
I got a chinese squire strat back in 2004 and that was great to learn on, it's beaten to hell but still sounds pretty decent, I would recommend that to anyone

thnx for the post man..i heard a lot of negative feed backs about starter packs so i decided to buy the gear separately
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe

what is your budget exactly, and is it flexible?

my budget is up to 320 $ max and thats for the guitar and the amp
Check out a roland micro cube.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Quote by nothing2say2011

Are you getting anywhere man?

There is a nice Squier "Standard" strat for 229 on Sweetwater.com in the choice of cherry sunburst, antique sunburst, or candy apple red. These have nice "rosewood" dark fretboards. Click on the link. You might like these.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratSSRCAR

One of these would be a decent guitar made from good materials at a very inexpensive cost to you.

Others here might like these too and it would leave you about 100 to buy an amp.

There are a lot of amps available for 100 dollars. I would advise getting an amp that does "one" thing well, rather than one of these ones that does a million things but none very well - in my personal opinion. I think if you pay for a simple amp design that you are going to get a better, more reliable amp, that has been designed to do one thing well. You can always add to your rig by buying used pedals and stuff later on.

Others may have even better ideas and some here might like this decent Squier strat.

I think getting something "decent" to begin with is going to leave you way ahead of the game; rather than getting something cheap in a pack that is mass marketed to "parents" not players, like someone else above said.

There are a lot of other options, but getting something decent without waiting around for a long time and over thinking it, might be a good idea. You could spend months checking out this and that and never come to any conclusions.

By the way, most of the "star" players started out on pretty simple equipment and just practiced, practiced, and practiced until they got "blisters on their fingers"; and then kept practicing more.

Who knows where you are going to go with your guitar playing; or should I say, who knows where your guitar playing is going to "take you". Guitar is a serious instrument and the potential is really unknowable. Who knows? Maybe someday you will actually be able to make some money playing guitar; but playing for fun can be really relaxing and good for your soul.

A lot of other guys on here will continue to try to help you decide on something. I think you should just think it over and decide on something, get it over with, and start looking for an amp so you can start playing and grooving on the whole thing.

My new amp head is coming today (an inexpensive but very nice one) and I'm excited about it.

Again, good luck. Get on with it before that money you have disappears.
Quote by nothing2say2011

what country are you in? that affects prices and availability more than anything else

(Just wondering because you listed both USA and UK websites)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what country are you in? that affects prices and availability more than anything else

Right. This would help us a lot.

We are not trying to get into your personal information or anything like that. It would just give us some idea of what kind of answers we can provide you.

We are not going to judge you based on where you are from, in case you are wondering if you should tell us this information.

We will try to help you.
Quote by Dave_Mc

im from saudi arabia and the reason for listeing these websites is where i live the music stores only focusing on oriental music instruments like oud, tablah etc. thats why i want to buy the gear online
Quote by DuffB
Are you getting anywhere man?

There is a nice Squier "Standard" strat for 229 on Sweetwater.com in the choice of cherry sunburst, antique sunburst, or candy apple red. These have nice "rosewood" dark fretboards. Click on the link. You might like these.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratSSRCAR

One of these would be a decent guitar made from good materials at a very inexpensive cost to you.

Others here might like these too and it would leave you about 100 to buy an amp.

There are a lot of amps available for 100 dollars. I would advise getting an amp that does "one" thing well, rather than one of these ones that does a million things but none very well - in my personal opinion. I think if you pay for a simple amp design that you are going to get a better, more reliable amp, that has been designed to do one thing well. You can always add to your rig by buying used pedals and stuff later on.

Others may have even better ideas and some here might like this decent Squier strat.

I think getting something "decent" to begin with is going to leave you way ahead of the game; rather than getting something cheap in a pack that is mass marketed to "parents" not players, like someone else above said.

There are a lot of other options, but getting something decent without waiting around for a long time and over thinking it, might be a good idea. You could spend months checking out this and that and never come to any conclusions.

By the way, most of the "star" players started out on pretty simple equipment and just practiced, practiced, and practiced until they got "blisters on their fingers"; and then kept practicing more.

Who knows where you are going to go with your guitar playing; or should I say, who knows where your guitar playing is going to "take you". Guitar is a serious instrument and the potential is really unknowable. Who knows? Maybe someday you will actually be able to make some money playing guitar; but playing for fun can be really relaxing and good for your soul.

A lot of other guys on here will continue to try to help you decide on something. I think you should just think it over and decide on something, get it over with, and start looking for an amp so you can start playing and grooving on the whole thing.

My new amp head is coming today (an inexpensive but very nice one) and I'm excited about it.

Again, good luck. Get on with it before that money you have disappears.

thnx for ur post man u r totally right i should choose what to buy..the guys here give alot of help
The guitar should be a pretty decent option. Although I like Orange amps in general, that one has gotten mixed reviews. However, for that price, I don't think you could really go wrong with it. With that guitar & amp, you should be able to cover a decent variety of classic rock tones.

You need to make sure you get cables & picks, but other than that, I'd say wait until you get your new gear, than see if YOU think you're not getting the sounds out of your rig that you want.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The guitar should be a pretty decent option. Although I like Orange amps in general, that one has gotten mixed reviews. However, for that price, I don't think you could really go wrong with it. With that guitar & amp, you should be able to cover a decent variety of classic rock tones.

You need to make sure you get cables & picks, but other than that, I'd say wait until you get your new gear, than see if YOU think you're not getting the sounds out of your rig that you want.

thank u Mr. Danny for the reply.u said ill be able to cover rock tones with this guitar but can i play metal with it? forgive for asking but im a total beginner
Quote by nothing2say2011
thank u Mr. Danny for the reply.u said ill be able to cover rock tones with this guitar but can i play metal with it? forgive for asking but im a total beginner

You are going to have your hands full just with that guitar and amp and learning some elementary stuff.

I like that the guitar has a tremolo, but remember - put on a new set of strings and put them on "one at a time", keeping the guitar in tune. That guitar will come with some pretty useless strings probably. I would suggest getting D'darrio "XL" electric strings, guage 9 - 42. You should get a "headstock tuner", as you have to be able to keep your guitar in tune. Buy two sets of strings in case you break a string when you try to restring for the first time. Get a cheap (ten dollars) "string winding tool" such as a Planet Waves one, with a "string cutter" on it for cutting off excess string when you are done. Learn to keep your guitar in tune. It will take a set of new strings a while to settle in and stay in tune.

Have a guitar player, a very good one, set the guitar up for you. This is a technical thing. Ask him to eliminate any binding of the strings at the nut and lower the "action" as far as he can without buzzing - he will know what this means.

The amp has a lot of control knobs so you should be able to get a variety of decent sounds out of it - not bad.

As time goes on you will learn a lot of things. You will, like most of us (all of us) get another guitar that catches your attention. You will get another amp that you like better. You will learn the guitar vocabulary (nomenclature), a specific type of language that guitar players understand but the general public does not understand.

Get a teacher and practice a lot. The internet has a lot of good free lessons, but for you, just starting out, having a real person there to help you set up your guitar and keep it in tune will be worth just as much as learning some of the basic guitar techniques and music theory. Go to your lessons and practice, practice, practice.

Be sure to get the guitar set up as soon as possible because it will play at its best and sound better and motivate you to play. A guitar that is not set up is hard to play and doesn't sound right and can lead to the loss of interest.

I don't mean to sound bossy. Other guys here will also have ideas that will help you get started. Listen to everyone and try to put some of these ideas into action right away.

I'm sure you will really dig playing guitar and the more you get into it the more serious you will become, hopefully. It is not a toy, but is a lot of fun to play with. Make sure that you have a "lot" of fun. Go easy on the strings because you don't want to break them.

A lot of the best guitar players play with a "soft" hand on the guitar with the pick instead of hitting it hard. Try to play softly but firmly and get the strings to "sing out".

In order to play "metal music" you will have to take a lot of lessons and study hard. Metal guitar players are arguably some of the best guitar players when it comes to playing fast, complicated stuff; but simple melodic stuff is easy and fun and a way to work your way into the more sophisticated forms of guitar playing. Keep it up and you will be half way decent before you know it, with a lot of work.

Good luck.

We are here to try to help you.
^^ what type of metal (list some bands)?

but odds are probably should be fine for metal too, as long as you mean fairly standard not too heavy metal (i.e. you don't need 7 strings (or more) for etc.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ what type of metal (list some bands)?

but odds are probably should be fine for metal too, as long as you mean fairly standard not too heavy metal (i.e. you don't need 7 strings (or more) for etc.)

I like alot of extreme metal genres like black metal,death, doom. Im like many bands like emperor wich is my favorite band immortal arch enemy amon amarth and the list goes on, plus I like traditional metal too like iron maidens Judas priest, megadeth, anthrax...etc
That's the music style I wanna learn
Quote by DuffB
You are going to have your hands full just with that guitar and amp and learning some elementary stuff.

I like that the guitar has a tremolo, but remember - put on a new set of strings and put them on "one at a time", keeping the guitar in tune. That guitar will come with some pretty useless strings probably. I would suggest getting D'darrio "XL" electric strings, guage 9 - 42. You should get a "headstock tuner", as you have to be able to keep your guitar in tune. Buy two sets of strings in case you break a string when you try to restring for the first time. Get a cheap (ten dollars) "string winding tool" such as a Planet Waves one, with a "string cutter" on it for cutting off excess string when you are done. Learn to keep your guitar in tune. It will take a set of new strings a while to settle in and stay in tune.

Have a guitar player, a very good one, set the guitar up for you. This is a technical thing. Ask him to eliminate any binding of the strings at the nut and lower the "action" as far as he can without buzzing - he will know what this means.

The amp has a lot of control knobs so you should be able to get a variety of decent sounds out of it - not bad.

As time goes on you will learn a lot of things. You will, like most of us (all of us) get another guitar that catches your attention. You will get another amp that you like better. You will learn the guitar vocabulary (nomenclature), a specific type of language that guitar players understand but the general public does not understand.

Get a teacher and practice a lot. The internet has a lot of good free lessons, but for you, just starting out, having a real person there to help you set up your guitar and keep it in tune will be worth just as much as learning some of the basic guitar techniques and music theory. Go to your lessons and practice, practice, practice.

Be sure to get the guitar set up as soon as possible because it will play at its best and sound better and motivate you to play. A guitar that is not set up is hard to play and doesn't sound right and can lead to the loss of interest.

I don't mean to sound bossy. Other guys here will also have ideas that will help you get started. Listen to everyone and try to put some of these ideas into action right away.

I'm sure you will really dig playing guitar and the more you get into it the more serious you will become, hopefully. It is not a toy, but is a lot of fun to play with. Make sure that you have a "lot" of fun. Go easy on the strings because you don't want to break them.

A lot of the best guitar players play with a "soft" hand on the guitar with the pick instead of hitting it hard. Try to play softly but firmly and get the strings to "sing out".

In order to play "metal music" you will have to take a lot of lessons and study hard. Metal guitar players are arguably some of the best guitar players when it comes to playing fast, complicated stuff; but simple melodic stuff is easy and fun and a way to work your way into the more sophisticated forms of guitar playing. Keep it up and you will be half way decent before you know it, with a lot of work.

Good luck.

We are here to try to help you.

Thank you thank you soooo much Mr. Duff for these precious advices that's will helpe me a lot I'll buy strings and strings winding tool plus the headstook tuner as u suggested
Quote by nothing2say2011
I like alot of extreme metal genres like black metal,death, doom. Im like many bands like emperor wich is my favorite band immortal arch enemy amon amarth and the list goes on, plus I like traditional metal too like iron maidens Judas priest, megadeth, anthrax...etc
That's the music style I wanna learn

ok, thanks

it should be fine for what you call "traditional metal".

it's worth a try with the other heavier/more modern stuff as well (i'm not that familiar with it ), it's not like anything bad is going to happen, it'll either just not sound quite right or when you get the tab/music to the tune you'll realise you need an extra string or something like that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2