Hello Users

If something could stay a mystery for me that I really really want to know, it will be how to arrange fingerstyle guitar pieces like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prmc9yo-J2Q

Is there anyone who can tell me ? I know that I should start with the basic melody which is pretty simple but I don't know which bass note is suitable for every beat ~ can anyone experienced with this help me please?

and Thanks ^^
So.... You want an essential fingerstyle guitar course in a paragraph on the forum?

This sounds fairly nice, but actually the guy is not really using standard classical guitar technique. I would guess that he's self-taught.
But anyway.... In order to play like this you need to start from square one, my friend. Technique. Scales and chords and harmony theory. All that stuff.
You need to learn where the notes are on the instrument and the essentials of picking out pleasant-sounding harmonies to go with them.
Any good primer on fingerstyle guitar should start you going.
You need to learn chords. That way you'll know which notes can be played with which notes. You should learn what each interval sounds like and how to play them anywhere on the guitar.
Check Carlos Santana instructions on youtube. He shows you how play one of his songs. Then Carlos describes how he came up with his melody and tempo. In his description he talks about feelings. It is the way he talked about his feeling when building a melody, that made me think. He dose not speak in music theory, but has some how made me understand music and my guitar.
I'm going to make an effort to actually help you, because so far nobody that's responded has. For one, it's totally possible to arrange something, be able to play it, and have it sound good without having perfect classical technique. Trust me, I've done it (To be fair, I am studying classical guitar with a high-level teacher, but I'm still pretty new and my technique is far from perfect). As Bikewer said, this guy's technique is a little off, mostly in the right hand, but there's absolutely nothing wrong or un-classical with his arrangement. So don't be discouraged. Here's how to pull off something like this:

1. Either find sheet music, like a piano arrangement or full orchestral score, or analyze the song yourself. You have to know what's actually beng played in the song. If you don't have a well-trained ear, it'll be A LOT easier to find sheet music and base what you play off of that.

2. Learn how to play the melody and the bass line separately on the guitar.

3. Figure out a way to play them at the same time. This will likely involve playing notes on different strings than you originally figured them out on, being forced to quickly jump all over the fretboard, and maybe even using a non-standard tuning to make playing it possible. A lot of classical pieces are in Drop , so don't be afraid to "cheat" like that to make things easier on yourself. Fully or partially capo-ing is always a possibility too.

4. Now you have to add the the other notes that make up the whole chord being played. Just melody and bass rarely captures the entire essence of a song, because there's usually all kinds of harmony going on at the same time. This is probably the hardest part, both in terms of fingering and technique and in terms of arranging and theory knowledge. Quick crash course, skip it if you know this.

Chords are usually made up of the root note (the note the chord is named after, eg. A is the root note of an A major chord), a major or minor third (3 or 4 half-steps above the root, respectively), and a fifth (the note you'd play if you were playing a regular old power chord based on the root note). Sometimes there are other notes involved, like 7ths and 9ths, and you may or may not encounter them depending on the song. The notes in the melody are going to primarily be the root, third or fifth, with 4ths, 2nds, etc in between as "passing tones", basically the connecting tissue that makes a melody sound like a melody and not just more chord. Also keep in mind the the root note will not always be the lowest pitch in the chord.

Basically you have to figure out where on the guitar you can play each other chord tone and still get the melody and bass line. If playing them all is impossible, you'll have to try to use your ear to determine which notes are the most important. A general rule of thumb is cut out the 5th first, then third, then 7ths, 9ths etc, bass. You'll probably never want to cut out the melody.

As for technique, bass note are usually played with the thumb and any other notes will most likely be played with your index, middle, and sometimes ring fingers. You won't use your pinky much if at all. If you have a lot of long, held-out melody notes, try alternating between bass and another chord tone underneath it to keep the song going, especially if it has a driving rhythm originally. And remember, if it sounds good to you, then it probably is good. Good luck!
Guy above, don't be a ****. Everyone has given him some advice and also implied that some hard work is needed on his part. Being spoon-fed knowledge won't help him in the long run, learning how to learn things himself will.

Edit: that word started with a c, ended with unt.
Quote by derek8520
Guy above, don't be a ****. Everyone has given him some advice and also implied that some hard work is needed on his part. Being spoon-fed knowledge won't help him in the long run, learning how to learn things himself will.

Edit: that word started with a c, ended with unt.

lol