Well, having trouble with my 6505 112 again. On 10/29/14 I had my amp repaired at Peavey. They did not charge me other then what I had to pay to ship (80.00 ) and did not mention what was wrong. The first time It just died. All the tubes lit up but there was no sound at all. This is my first tube amp so I know little to nothing about them.

This time, I started getting static this morning. I let it warm up for about 5 min cause I took my dog out. I come back in and start playing for about 10 min. Then, I notice this radio like static coming from the amp. I turned all the controls to 0 and it was still static like. However very faint. Tried different guitars and cables. Another 5 min or so go by after trying to problem solve and I start to smell this slight burning smell. I look in the back and the right tube was super red-hot the other was normal. So, I immediately shut down and unplug everything on the amp and for like 10 seconds after it being disconnected it kept making these popping sounds and quick hiss/static.

My question.....does it seem like just the tube went out? How hard is that to fix? Do I have to do the cap draining everyone talks about to take out a tube?

I don't want to spend 80.00 for shipping and waiting a month to get my amp when I just did all that a few months ago. So, hopefully its a quick simple fix.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The tube is red plating, get some new power tubes
Pull them straight out and push them straight in
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 14, 2015,
So.... if I touch the tubes Im not going to burst like a popcorn kernel....right?

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Uh, no. Just let it cool down first.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Uh, no. Just let it cool down first.

So what do I have to be doing with the amp that I have to drain the amps caps? I have read various things saying before messing with an amp to drain the power caps otherwise I could shock myself and end up like the guy on The Green mile....

But, with replacing tubes you can just pull them out? Good to know I guess

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
You would need to be fooling around inside the amp near the caps resistors etc in order to shock yourself which if you don't know what you are doing you have no business inside the amp sh*t can kill you. Tubes on the other hand grab a matched set of new ones rock the old ones back and forth lightly side to side lightly while pulling down and there out. Insert new. Don't twist them while removing if there stock tubes may take a bit to work them loose.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
You only need to drain the filter caps if you are poking around inside the amp. ie. have pulled the chassis out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by RJH11
You would need to be fooling around inside the amp near the caps resistors etc in order to shock yourself which if you don't know what you are doing you have no business inside the amp sh*t can kill you. Tubes on the other hand grab a matched set of new ones rock the old ones back and forth lightly side to side lightly while pulling down and there out. Insert new. Don't twist them while removing if there stock tubes may take a bit to work them loose.

Ok, thanks good to know!

Would you know if its better to try and find the same tubes or try different one? Like are some brands/types more reliable then stock?

Also, Im assuming I need to buy two of the same tubes if I decide to switch types..... I imagine its probably not good to have 2 different tubes lol.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Tube depot, dougstubes and eurotubes are the best places online to get tubes. Whatever you get make sure to get a matched pair. And stick with 6L6s, as you cannot bias that amp to take different tubes properly. I prefer JJs personally. That's what I had my friend put in his 6505 112 and it sounds killer.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^+1
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by TheStig1214
Tube depot, dougstubes and eurotubes are the best places online to get tubes. Whatever you get make sure to get a matched pair. And stick with 6L6s, as you cannot bias that amp to take different tubes properly. I prefer JJs personally. That's what I had my friend put in his 6505 112 and it sounds killer.

Thanks guys I do appreciate the tips.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
+1 to the JJ 6L6GC recommendations. They sound amazing. Way better that the stock Ruby tubes that come with that amp.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+1 JJ makes nice 6L6's.

but keep in mind that ruby just relables tubes. some are JJ's some are other brands.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 15, 2015,
Replace the power tubes, if you still have issues, check back in.

Changing tubes is like changing a light-bulb so you'll be fine there.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000