Hey guys i'm new here so I am going to buy a electric guitar but im not sure what should i buy. Yesterday i listened to a cover and wanted to play it here is the link for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwcpPKaTQLs and in this video les paul is backing while a single pick up guitar plays the vocal. Well i liked that vocal part very much and started to think to buy the cort, but i listen to metallica sometimes and i think i only can play metallica songs with a humbucker guitar like they always play guitars with double humbucker i like acdc guns n roses stuff too. Can i play metallica riffs with a HSS guitar or not? What do you guys think i should buy? (sorry for bad english :P) I will buy one tomorrow because if i stay like this i think too much
Epiphone. Definitely. I feel the chunkier necks of Gibsons/Epis fit my hands better. Be sure to try both out an see which one you prefer.
You could buy the Cort and play Metal stuff but you'd have to use the Humbucker since Single coils don't have the balls that humbuckers have.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by artunchakir
Hey guys i'm new here so I am going to buy a electric guitar but im not sure what should i buy. Yesterday i listened to a cover and wanted to play it here is the link for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwcpPKaTQLs and in this video les paul is backing while a single pick up guitar plays the vocal. Well i liked that vocal part very much and started to think to buy the cort, but i listen to metallica sometimes and i think i only can play metallica songs with a humbucker guitar like they always play guitars with double humbucker i like acdc guns n roses stuff too. Can i play metallica riffs with a HSS guitar or not? What do you guys think i should buy? (sorry for bad english :P) I will buy one tomorrow because if i stay like this i think too much

of course you can play G & R and Metallica with an HSS guitar. use the bridge humbucker and ther you go. try both guitars if you can and see which you like better.

you can play the stuff in the vid with either guitar.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 14, 2015,
Les Paul by far. Strats have their uses but Les Pauls are better in my opinion for all around usefulness.
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
Les Paul by far. Strats have their uses but Les Pauls are better in my opinion for all around usefulness.

my strat would like to have a few words with you.......
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!

I disagree with that

A strat is significantly more versatile and useful with the different pickup combinations than the standard two humbucker combination

This Cort is actually quite a good guitar - I like the swamp ash look with the maple neck.
It has a coil tap feature which gives you the benefit of having single coils on the humbucker pickup.

If you think you'll only get one guitar in your lifetime, I'd recommend the Cort because of it's versatility. You might want to play that track now but later on there are some songs you want to play, which won't sound right on a Les Paul.

(Granted, sweet child o mine or the stairway won't sound exactly right on the Cort either but you can get it closer on the Cort compared to getting Under the Bridge or any Hendrix on the Epiphone.)

If you think you'll eventually save for another, then get the Epiphone, and get a Strat later.
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
Are you a beginning guitar player?

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a "great" guitar; it is a serious guitar. The humbucking pickups will probably be better for you plus the way the Les Paul is designed is favorable to easy playing and they look good.

I'm sure you want a good looking guitar that is going to look good with you playing it. The LP Standards are all mahogany and rosewood, with good hardware and good pickups. The sounds available are very mellow and beautiful. They are beautiful guitars.

I'd get the Les Paul Standard and be done with it. You will be glad you did and you will have a guitar that you can keep for life. I still have my first Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it is a very nice guitar.

Epiphone LP Standards are getting a lot more fans lately. They are great guitars. You will get a lot of compliments if you get the real Les Paul Standard, even though it is an Epiphone. It is something that you will be able to be proud of and appreciate. It would be hard to find a nicer guitar in that price range.

Like I said, get the LP Standard and be done with it. I bet you will be back on here before long telling us how much you like it and how glad you were to have decided to get it.

Good luck. Where are you located man? We are all brothers here, so to speak.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by monwobobbo
of course you can play G & R and Metallica with an HSS guitar. use the bridge humbucker and ther you go. try both guitars if you can and see which you like better.

you can play the stuff in the vid with either guitar.

This guy playing the lead solo on the red Fender is a very decently skilled guitar player. The guy playing the Les Paul is laid back playing a supporting musical role.

The dude playing the solo on the Fender could blow your mind by playing a lead with the Les Paul just as easily as he did with the Fender. Most of these dudes have a few guitars, at least, and use certain ones for certain sounds/purposes.

I think you would do very well with a Les Paul, even an Epiphone. Epiphones are very good guitars and their reputation is presently growing, because there has been a lot of complaints and concerns about the new Gibson guitars - although Gibson still makes some excellent guitars.

I just bought a brand new 2015 Gibson Les Paul Junior with one pickup, a P90 single coil. It is a great and beautiful guitar. I stripped off the junk auto tuners called the gforce and replace them with real Grover manual Roto-Grip locking tuners. It is a very nice, well built, beautiful Gibson. None the less, Epiphone LP Standards are beautiful and great guitars, plus can be fixed up to be awesome guitars. An Epi LP Standard would be a good place to start or upgrade to.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by DuffB
This guy playing the lead solo on the red Fender is a very decently skilled guitar player. The guy playing the Les Paul is laid back playing a supporting musical role.

The dude playing the solo on the Fender could blow your mind by playing a lead with the Les Paul just as easily as he did with the Fender. Most of these dudes have a few guitars, at least, and use certain ones for certain sounds/purposes.

I think you would do very well with a Les Paul, even an Epiphone. Epiphones are very good guitars and their reputation is presently growing, because there has been a lot of complaints and concerns about the new Gibson guitars - although Gibson still makes some excellent guitars.

I just bought a brand new 2015 Gibson Les Paul Junior with one pickup, a P90 single coil. It is a great and beautiful guitar. I stripped off the junk auto tuners called the gforce and replace them with real Grover manual Roto-Grip locking tuners. It is a very nice, well built, beautiful Gibson. None the less, Epiphone LP Standards are beautiful and great guitars, plus can be fixed up to be awesome guitars. An Epi LP Standard would be a good place to start or upgrade to.

i kinda doubt that the lead would magically sound better on a Les Paul. not sure about some of your points. i have more than one guitar and yes i use them for certain things. the OP is only getting 1 guitar so that isn't pertinent. Cort makes tons of guitars and has been doing a decent job of it for years. i stated that he could play the lead stuff with either guitar which is very true. dude you come off as a bit of a fanboy which suprises me.
I still havent decided yet but guys thanks for your answers im open to all your opinions. Well btw i am not gonna buy 1 guitar for a lifetime but if i buy a guitar i am not going to save for another guitar i will save for a marshall amp so as you guys have said the cort is more versatile so my brain says 64% cort, 35% les paul, 1% gibson les paul custom
Quote by monwobobbo
i kinda doubt that the lead would magically sound better on a Les Paul. not sure about some of your points. i have more than one guitar and yes i use them for certain things. the OP is only getting 1 guitar so that isn't pertinent. Cort makes tons of guitars and has been doing a decent job of it for years. i stated that he could play the lead stuff with either guitar which is very true. dude you come off as a bit of a fanboy which suprises me.

I apologize if I come off like a fanboy. Sorry about that. I like LP's but have a lot of other guitars and like single coils too. I'm just thinking that this guy might benefit from some humbuckers. He needs to get whatever he personally wants.

I meant to convey that the dude playing the lead on the Fender (Mustang?) is probably skilled enough to make the LP sound real good playing lead as well, not better, and certainly not magically better. I'm just suggesting that the guy can probably play the LP real well on some leads too, like many guitar players that play leads on LP's.

I'm not suggesting that he get more than one guitar.

Cort makes great guitars, I have seen and played a few, but we see very few Corts in the area I live. Also that guitar in the video is a Fender, not a Cort.

I apologize if I pushed hard for the Les Paul, that is a very cool Fender Mustang or whatever it is. I have heard that humbucking guitars are more forgiving to beginning guitar players because single coils reveal all of the details of your playing, the fine points and the not so fine points.

Actually I like my PRS SE's and even my Agiles better than my Epi's. So there is no excuse for me pushing hard for the LP, except for the idea that the guy might be a beginner and the dual HB guitar might be more forgiving and gratifying for him to play.

It is easy to get misunderstood on the internet forums, and you have to be careful how you say stuff. I agree that I should have stated my comments better, so as not to sound like a fanboy, etc. My opinion is no big deal of any importance anyway. I try to get some ideas out there that might be helpful and will work on presenting them better.

Criticism accepted. I'm from Lake George, New York by the way. Born and raised there. We live in North Central Pennsylvania now.
Last edited by DuffB at Feb 14, 2015,
Quote by DuffB
I apologize if I come off like a fanboy. Sorry about that. I like LP's but have a lot of other guitars and like single coils too. I'm just thinking that this guy might benefit from some humbuckers. He needs to get whatever he personally wants.

I meant to convey that the dude playing the lead on the Fender (Mustang?) is probably skilled enough to make the LP sound real good playing lead as well, not better, and certainly not magically better. I'm just suggesting that the guy can probably play the LP real well on some leads too, like many guitar players that play leads on LP's.

I'm not suggesting that he get more than one guitar.

Cort makes great guitars, I have seen and played a few, but we see very few Corts in the area I live. Also that guitar in the video is a Fender, not a Cort.

I apologize if I pushed hard for the Les Paul, that is a very cool Fender Mustang or whatever it is. I have heard that humbucking guitars are more forgiving to beginning guitar players because single coils reveal all of the details of your playing, the fine points and the not so fine points.

Actually I like my PRS SE's and even my Agiles better than my Epi's. So there is no excuse for me pushing hard for the LP, except for the idea that the guy might be a beginner and the dual HB guitar might be more forgiving and gratifying for him to play.

It is easy to get misunderstood on the internet forums, and you have to be careful how you say stuff. I agree that I should have stated my comments better, so as not to sound like a fanboy, etc. My opinion is no big deal of any importance anyway. I try to get some ideas out there that might be helpful and will work on presenting them better.

Criticism accepted. I'm from Lake George, New York by the way. Born and raised there. We live in North Central Pennsylvania now.

i looked at your profile which is why i said i wa suprised instead of just writing you off as an idiot. nothing wrong with enthusiasum but as you said it could have been worded better. don't see many Corts here in Upstate NY either but the few i've played have been solid guitars. when givig advice i try to keep myself in check and think about what would serve the OP's needs. at times it may very well be something that i hate but if it is the best choice then i've gotta recommend it.
Quote by monwobobbo
i looked at your profile which is why i said i wa suprised instead of just writing you off as an idiot. nothing wrong with enthusiasum but as you said it could have been worded better. don't see many Corts here in Upstate NY either but the few i've played have been solid guitars. when givig advice i try to keep myself in check and think about what would serve the OP's needs. at times it may very well be something that i hate but if it is the best choice then i've gotta recommend it.

Understood Monwobo. I will take your advice/ideas seriously and I can see what you mean. We can get along and get past this. I appreciate that you got back to me and addressed how you see the situation instead of just letting it hang out there unaddressed. Thanks man.
Quote by DuffB
Understood Monwobo. I will take your advice/ideas seriously and I can see what you mean. We can get along and get past this. I appreciate that you got back to me and addressed how you see the situation instead of just letting it hang out there unaddressed. Thanks man.

hey no problem. i'm on this board all the time and try to play nice with everyone. i have no problems with folks who don't agree with me etc as long as it's stated in an intelligent manor. besides us old guys have to stick together.
Quote by monwobobbo
hey no problem. i'm on this board all the time and try to play nice with everyone. i have no problems with folks who don't agree with me etc as long as it's stated in an intelligent manor. besides us old guys have to stick together.

Okay Bobbo. No problem. We will move forward without any hassles, etc. Thanks a lot.