This is regarding string muting . I have used my palm to mute when I started alt picking It wasn't 100% accurate but for the most it worked , with legato I find using the thumb to mute the strings better , I think its because there is less hand movement its all moving in one sweeping motion rather with fast alt picking the movement of the hand is much more. So I am wondering is they any fast alt pickers that use the thumb to mute , I guess I would like to know from experienced players what they use and why? I have been told to learn one and master it rather than trying to do both .
I'm really just a beginner but, I rest my palm way down touching the bridge, mostly cuz I have ligament damage in my index finger & can't hold a pick the way most people do. I think that method puts less pressure on the strings thus preventing too much muting. JMO.
Quote by snaggleyoda
I'm really just a beginner but, I rest my palm way down touching the bridge, mostly cuz I have ligament damage in my index finger & can't hold a pick the way most people do. I think that method puts less pressure on the strings thus preventing too much muting. JMO.
When I was taking lessons I was learning alt picking fast and my teacher wanted me to try and mute the lower strings with my thumb rather than palm, although I don't think many people use the thumb to mute by the response from my post, but it's support to be more reliable than using the palm , Its hard to explain but you basically use your thumb that holds the pick to mute the stings ,