Any reviews on this amp? Im getting withdrawls from tone, after spending all my money on restoring my old electric and then playing a crummy sawtooth amp for the past 4 months. Now that I have the money, I want a nice valve amp. Would a peavey valveking ii be a good choice for a $600 budget?Any info is helpful. Thanks
you can find the originals used for way less. some of the new features are nice but the amp itself is otherwise exactly the same. at $600 i dunno (and i am a VK user). are you taking head or combo? if you get the head and have a good cab with good speakers in it then the VK can be a solid choice for classic rock and blues type stuff. the combo needs a speaker change to really come into it's own.
Haven't played the new ones, but I have a VK212 (the first series of Valvekings). It seems both the old and new gen have the same speaker models (I assume you want the combo), and to be blunt these speakers are awful. So with that budget there are far better options assuming no improvements to the speaker models were made.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The new ones are pretty awesome, but the biggest difference is that the new ones have tube monitoring and built-in attenuators on the 50W combo, 20W micro head and 100W head. Also, the 20W versions use EL84's and the 50W combo and 100W head use 6L6's (like the older models), so you have two entirely different voicings.

You can pick up an older model used for pretty cheap. I got my VK212 for $300. A VK112 sat next to it for $150.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Haven't played the new ones, but I have a VK212 (the first series of Valvekings). It seems both the old and new gen have the same speaker models (I assume you want the combo), and to be blunt these speakers are awful. So with that budget there are far better options assuming no improvements to the speaker models were made.

I think it depends on the type of music played on it. I have an original VK112 that I leave at church. Of course, my playing style is clean. With the right knob adjustments, my tone sounds pretty good. I play a semi-hollowbody through it. I'd seriously recommend that TS look at the original VK amps. You can get one used for a lot less. If you happen to buy a used one and decide the speaker(s) is/are cruddy, then you have the option of modifying it with your remaining budget. One thing I will note, is the original power tubes were cheap. Mine used to hum like made, until I replaced the power tubes with better quality ones.
I partially agree, with both how it depends on the genre you play and the fact that you'd be just as well off with the older 112; boost channel on the lead is awful if you're doing metal. Clean channel isn't TOO muddy...just play with single coils/split coil with the bright switch on. Personally I don't think it's worth the trouble to do all that modifying when you can have other amps at the same budget that'll have a better stock quality in basically all areas (speakers, tubes, preamp, etc.). So while we're at it: what genre are you playing?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 14, 2015,
I own a VK100, and have for 7(?) years now. It's one of those amps that people always recommend as a solid price-for-quality tube amps. I've always really liked sound it gets from the clean channel and as people have said, it's solid for blues, light to hard rock music styles and for the most part it's a pretty clean amp. I like to dabble in slap guitar stuff and it's good for that too. I don't find it to be muddy.

However, the boost/distortion channel isn't all that great. If you really push the gain then the tone is adequate compared to the other stuff peavey makes (can't beat the 6505) but then again you're paying $5-600 for a tube amp and some compromises have to be made. Get a good fuzz or distortion pedal. (I've found mixing the amp distortion with a pedal can have some positive results).

I haven't ever used VK speakers, so I have no opinion about them.

However, the one problem I did have with my amp is that it had to be sent back for repairs after I bought it because it sounded like shit after like 3 months of owning it. Turns out, a *few* connections were cold-soldered (poor craftsmanship on a relatively simple issue). So, if you buy it new, you might want to get a one year warranty. Then again, this is one isolated incident and I've never heard of people having this issue with Peavey.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT VALVEKINGS

I've recently gotten on of the older model 112s. Quite rad. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the new models, unless you've tried one and you just absolutely have to have it (and they look nicer).

However, let me say that I bought the VK for $250+$50 shipping, I've put in $70 for a new speaker, and $110 on new tubes. So I'm at a $480 priced amp. It sounds as such though.

So you're going to have to spend at least on a speaker swap if you get an older model. I think even the newer models have a shoddy speaker. I've played a newer model before at GC, and it didn't sound too much different then my older 112.

However, the newer models do have some nice features. So if you get one of the new combos, you're probably going to want to pour another ~$100 into it for a new speaker/tubes. If you're doing metal, I suggest the newer models. Cleans/grunge, older models.

Quote by ngav3
and then playing a crummy sawtooth amp for the past 4 months.
poor ts :c
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 15, 2015,
Well, the combo valveking is out of question for me, so...

Any good valve amp head/cabs that I can get BOTH for $600?
Btw- I play thrash metal, nwobhm metal, a lot of black sabbath, lots of rock bands from the 60's to 80's, and some blues.
Quote by ngav3

Going head + cab really cuts into your budget pretty bad. Why do you need a head?

On the subject of the Valveking, I hate the distortion channel. It isn't that it doesn't fit my genres or anything, I just really don't like it. It's dark and has no definition. I would never buy a Valveking for the dirt channel, I know others disagree but that's my opinion. The distortion is just utterly crap. However, the clean channel is nice and is perfect for taking pedals. That's how I use mine, and you would do okay with that. However, if you would get a combo you could get something like a JCM2000 DSL and be better off.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
Going head + cab really cuts into your budget pretty bad. Why do you need a head?

On the subject of the Valveking, I hate the distortion channel. It isn't that it doesn't fit my genres or anything, I just really don't like it. It's dark and has no definition. I would never buy a Valveking for the dirt channel, I know others disagree but that's my opinion. The distortion is just utterly crap. However, the clean channel is nice and is perfect for taking pedals. That's how I use mine, and you would do okay with that. However, if you would get a combo you could get something like a JCM2000 DSL and be better off.

I basically agree with every point on this. Endless options of $600 combos that would be better than $300 cab +$300 head. The cab might have speakers as good as a combo's, but the head won't be as good as the preamp section of the combo,
Quote by ngav3

you may want to look at Jet City. options that cheap are kinda limited.

i play a fair amount of similar stuff and find that the VK can handle most of it. it's not an ideal thrash amp. the distortion channel isn't bad (but the boost is useless past bedroom volumes) i run an overdrive into it and get a pretty good sound. for stuff like say Diamond Head it works reasonably well. 70s metal/hard rock it does pretty well. i lean more towards the 70s -early 80s stuff (plus things like cream and hendrix) and the VK works for that. my main amp is a Peavey Ultra which you might be able to swing with your budget if you can find one. that amp will do all the stuff you want but is getting tough to find.
I just grabbed a vkII 50 1x12 combo coming from an original vk100 head into a 4x12 cab loaded with celestion g12k-85s. I've had a couple hours to mess with it so here are my first impressions.

I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is just the difference between speakers and cabs, but I honestly like the tone of the vkII better. It seems to have more gain on tap on the lead channel and the gain boost button doesn't sound nearly as bad as the original, in fact it sounds pretty good to my ears. As a metal-head I've been satisfied plugging straight into the amp which was never the case with the vk100 which always required a od infront and a eq and sonic maximizer in the loop to get a legitimate sounding tone. You no longer seem to need the dummy jack in the second input either...

Has the statement that it's the exact same circuitry as the original been verified? It has the same overall sound, but it seems to be tweaked for the better to my ears. Like I mentioned the gain boost acually sounds decent and the amp seems to have more presence and less harsh mids without a eq and sonic maximiser in the loop.

I dont play a lot of cleans as I'm mainly a rythem player, but the clean channel sounds clean with only a slight breakup when I dimed the volume knob on my les paul.

The best part for me is the attenuator. On the 5w setting I can get a real nice saturated gain without shaking the walls of my office/studio and makes for a great practice amp, by far the best practice amp I've ever plugged in to. The 50w setting is shake the room loud, and I'm coming from a half-stack mind you. I haven't had a chance to play out with it but I'm confident it could easily drown an acoustic drum kit. You could definitely handle bars with it as is. Add a extension cab and I'm sure you could handle a bigger venue, msdi into the house pa and I'd imagine you could handle what ever stadium you wanted. These features are what makes this amp much more versatile than the original.

All in all I find it to be a nice step forward with no drawbacks to the original. $600 is a little steep but I got mine NIB for $450 off craigslist. I'm more than pleased with this purchase and I think I'll be keeping this amp for a while. I'm anxious to try recording with it.
Quote by dropb81
I just grabbed a vkII 50 1x12 combo coming from an original vk100 head into a 4x12 cab loaded with celestion g12k-85s. I've had a couple hours to mess with it so here are my first impressions.

I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is just the difference between speakers and cabs, but I honestly like the tone of the vkII better. It seems to have more gain on tap on the lead channel and the gain boost button doesn't sound nearly as bad as the original, in fact it sounds pretty good to my ears. As a metal-head I've been satisfied plugging straight into the amp which was never the case with the vk100 which always required a od infront and a eq and sonic maximizer in the loop to get a legitimate sounding tone. You no longer seem to need the dummy jack in the second input either...

Has the statement that it's the exact same circuitry as the original been verified? It has the same overall sound, but it seems to be tweaked for the better to my ears. Like I mentioned the gain boost acually sounds decent and the amp seems to have more presence and less harsh mids without a eq and sonic maximiser in the loop.

I dont play a lot of cleans as I'm mainly a rythem player, but the clean channel sounds clean with only a slight breakup when I dimed the volume knob on my les paul.

The best part for me is the attenuator. On the 5w setting I can get a real nice saturated gain without shaking the walls of my office/studio and makes for a great practice amp, by far the best practice amp I've ever plugged in to. The 50w setting is shake the room loud, and I'm coming from a half-stack mind you. I haven't had a chance to play out with it but I'm confident it could easily drown an acoustic drum kit. You could definitely handle bars with it as is. Add a extension cab and I'm sure you could handle a bigger venue, msdi into the house pa and I'd imagine you could handle what ever stadium you wanted. These features are what makes this amp much more versatile than the original.

All in all I find it to be a nice step forward with no drawbacks to the original. $600 is a little steep but I got mine NIB for $450 off craigslist. I'm more than pleased with this purchase and I think I'll be keeping this amp for a while. I'm anxious to try recording with it.

Peavey hasn't officially stated that they have changed the basic circuit. not suprising if they did tweak it a bit considering all the customer input they've had. guess i'll try to check out a new one more thoroughly as i plugged into one for maybe 5 minutes a few months back.
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey hasn't officially stated that they have changed the basic circuit. not suprising if they did tweak it a bit considering all the customer input they've had. guess i'll try to check out a new one more thoroughly as i plugged into one for maybe 5 minutes a few months back.
With the distortion clipping at least, it sounds a little rounder and warmer. Not that you can't get some sharp gnarl out of it. I couldn't use an OD with it at the time, but I was able to get some decent tones out of it. It was a bit better than the 1st series. But the better clipping could be because of better tubes as well (my VK had JJ's, the VKII might have better tubies), instead of a better circuit. Although the arguable JJ mud didn't seem to mud up the distortion as you would expect. It was sharper than the VKII IIRC.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 16, 2015,
Basically, all I want is the best valve amp under $600. Combos are fine. Gove me all the recommendations you can
Quote by ngav3
Basically, all I want is the best valve amp under $600. Combos are fine. Gove me all the recommendations you can

JSX , TSL602 or TSL122, DSL401, Peavey 5150 212, Peavey XXX (I'd say the 212 version, but there are 60 1X12 and a 40W 1X12). I'd say those would be the best to start with that you can expect good quality/performance out of.