Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, new here and I've got a question for you.

I have a Line 6 Spider IV amp and I'm considering what new guitar to get. I have my eyes (and ears?) on a PRS SE Torero, but I hear it's really geared to metal players. Will having a metal guitar and a metal amp be too restraining on my range? Would I be able to get a sound similar to, say, David Gilmour's?

Advice would be much appreciated, as this guitar will be around for the long haul
Get. A. New. Amp.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
+1^ not trying to be rude but spiders are sh*t. Trade it and $ from saving up for guitar and get a new amp.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by Harimuu
Hey guys, new here and I've got a question for you.

I have a Line 6 Spider IV amp and I'm considering what new amp to get. I have my eyes (and ears?) on a Peavey Vypyr 60, but I hear it's really geared to metal players. Will having a metal guitar and a metal amp be too restraining on my range? Would I be able to get a sound similar to, say, David Gilmour's?

Advice would be much appreciated, as this amp will be around for the long haul

*fixed*

(and no, the Vypyr 60 will not be too restraining)
Let me get this straight, you have a 99USD amp an you want a quality ~1000USD guitar?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Harimuu
Hey guys, I have a Line 6 Spider IV amp.
it's almost as if he was trying to incite the ug "get a new amp" advice quirk

New amp. Something Peavey. A lot of people like the Tube 60. Also look into the Jet City combos.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
*fixed*

(and no, the Vypyr 60 will not be too restraining)
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 15, 2015,
What is your current guitar?

If you are considering to buy that PRS, for the same money you could buy both a new amp and a new guitar. It's better to have a decent guitar and a decent amp than a great guitar and a crappy amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine

If you are considering to buy that PRS, for the same money you could buy both a new amp and a new guitar. It's better to have a decent guitar and a decent amp than a great guitar and a crappy amp.

agree 100%.
Quote by MaggaraMarine

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gotta be a troll
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Split the budget in half and buy a used good amp and a used good guitar.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
For the OP:

Feel free to ignore the "get a better amp" piranhas. The Spider you have is fine and is not in any particular a "metal" amp. This particular forum is populated largely by metallistas and beginners who braid each others' hair, coordinate their periods and have a community hatred of Spider amps. They have a community LOVE of Peavey Vypers which, if it were shared with the guitar community at large, might keep Peavey afloat and viable as a company. As it is, Peavey is a sinking ship while Line 6 (makers of your Spider) leads the industry in amp sales.

The pickups on the Torero are the only thing particularly "metal" oriented, and if you're looking for versatility, you might want to get a similar guitar with standard passive pickups. Those EMGs are not particularly comfortable with other genres.
I have a fender HRD and I get a nice tone and I can get it sounding fairly like David Gilmour. Also, most people trying to recreate his sound on a budget go for those amps. Metal is not the amps comfort zone though, as the drive channel is not that great.
Quote by dspellman
For the OP:

Feel free to ignore the "get a better amp" piranhas. The Spider you have is fine and is not in any particular a "metal" amp. This particular forum is populated largely by metallistas and beginners who braid each others' hair, coordinate their periods and have a community hatred of Spider amps. They have a community LOVE of Peavey Vypers which, if it were shared with the guitar community at large, might keep Peavey afloat and viable as a company. As it is, Peavey is a sinking ship while Line 6 (makers of your Spider) leads the industry in amp sales.

Your point being?

Just because a brand is popular doesn't mean its products are good. You preach that moniker yourself.

And I would happen to disagree with you in saying that Spiders aren't 'metal-oriented'. 3 of its main presets are specifically 'metal' sounds.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 16, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
This particular forum is populated largely by metallistas and beginners who braid each others' hair, coordinate their periods and have a community hatred of Spider amps.

The Spider and Vypyr are both middling amplifiers. Switching from one to the other (in the same wattage range) is a horizontal movement, not a vertical one. You're just trading one digital modeller for another digital modeller. The HRD is the only real improvement recommended in this whole thread.

Quote by MaggaraMarine
What is your current guitar? If you are considering to buy that PRS, for the same money you could buy both a new amp and a new guitar. It's better to have a decent guitar and a decent amp than a great guitar and a crappy amp.

+1, as well.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Feb 16, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
For the OP:

The pickups on the Torero are the only thing particularly "metal" oriented, and if you're looking for versatility, you might want to get a similar guitar with standard passive pickups. Those EMGs are not particularly comfortable with other genres.

I'll take that as a direct attack against me.

Maybe you should hang out on a different forum?

Quote by kangaxxter
The Spider and Vypyr are both middling amplifiers. Switching from one to the other (in the same wattage range) is a horizontal movement, not a vertical one. You're just trading one digital modeller for another digital modeller. The HRD is the only real improvement recommended in this whole thread.

Nah

It is not a horizontal move.

The Vypyr is a superior amp and is an analog modeler not a digital one.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also - The Vypyr 60 may surprise you as it relates to quality.

This was AcousticMirror's comments on my gut shots.

Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
heh love the tube circuit board for the peavey vypyr.

it's 50 percent stuff that's better then whats in most boutique gear and 50 percent stuff that most builders advertise as the hot shit.

Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
ya if you start from the top down on this

small resistors are probably xicons
yellow tube caps are mallories which is what stateside builders use when they aren't using sozo or orange drops
big pink resistor is either a koa or a panasonic. Koa is more likely.
all the big electro caps are panasonic or IC or nichicon
there are snubber bypasses on all the major power supply nodes.
there's a bunch of small capacitors that are standard on the higher end japanese maxon pedals.
It's all USA or Japan for the most part.

that's a lot better then say like the recent dr z stuff which has been using a ton of samwha and lelon and other korean and chinese shit.

In my opinion, which is what forums are, it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on a guitar only to run it through a Spider. Unless or course you really like the tones you are getting out of the Spider.

Spending $300 on a used Vypyr 60 and $500+ on new guitar DOES makes sense. To me anyway.
Quote by Gab_Azz
I have a fender HRD and I get a nice tone and I can get it sounding fairly like David Gilmour. Also, most people trying to recreate his sound on a budget go for those amps. Metal is not the amps comfort zone though, as the drive channel is not that great.

As another HRD owner, I agree 100%.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
analog modeler

Contradiction in terms. Just because the Vypyr has analog solid state distortion doesn't mean it's not digital.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll take that as a direct attack against me.

Maybe you should hang out on a different forum?

+1

maybe dspellman should take it up with Min.

and for what its worth buying a vypyr tube isn't keeping peavey afloat at all, they aren't made any more. used sales doesn't keep a company's lights on
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 16, 2015,
ummm.... since when is Peavey a sinking ship. if nothing else they have grown a fair amount in the last few years. Mcdonalds sells tons of hamburgers but they are far from the best. now i agree that Line 6 spyders aren't the worst amps ever but i do honestly prefer the vypyr to it. oh and i'm not a beginner or a metal head (but i'm sure you know that).
Quote by monwobobbo
ummm.... since when is Peavey a sinking ship. if nothing else they have grown a fair amount in the last few years. Mcdonalds sells tons of hamburgers but they are far from the best. now i agree that Line 6 spyders aren't the worst amps ever but i do honestly prefer the vypyr to it. oh and i'm not a beginner or a metal head (but i'm sure you know that).

+1 peavey is not sinking at all. IMO they are doing no different than fender and Marshall, if not better. They have a good variety from their metal geared amps into the Classic series, they do have pretty solid beginner modeling amps as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by kangaxxter
Contradiction in terms. Just because the Vypyr has analog solid state distortion doesn't mean it's not digital.
It has some digital effects but the amp modeling is analog. That makes it an analog modeler. Where's the contradiction?

And as for the Spider - popularity makes it good? Seriously? Everything that sells well to children is quality? Really? What is this bullshit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It has some digital effects but the amp modeling is analog. That makes it an analog modeler. Where's the contradiction?

And as for the Spider - popularity makes it good? Seriously? Everything that sells well to children is quality? Really? What is this bullshit?

And since Microsoft sells the most OS's, they must be the best. Right?

Just because Product A sells better than Product B, doesn't mean Product A is better.
It could be better, but often, in many cases regardless of the product type in question, its that the manufacturer of Product A has a more aggressive marketing campaign.

I prefer the Vypyr to the Spider.
I also prefer the Valvetronix to the Vypyr.
But thats me. I'm more of a classic rock, blues kinda guy that doesn't venture into metal territory often, and when I do, its more the old style metal (What was called metal back in the 70s and 80's).

And Modeling =/= Digital.
That reminds me of the guy who came in here awhile back saying the Tubescreamer was digital because it has an IC in it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 16, 2015,
Especially when you take into account who the target audience is. Don't Marshall sell more MG's than JVM's and VM's combined? I guess that makes the MG the better amp? just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I didn't read the previous posts, but you can play anything on a "superstrat" or metal guitar. The vast majority of your tone will come fro your amp.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Very unlikely your going to get a Gilmourish sound from a Line 6 Spider amp. Its voiced for metal man. I agree with the majority here, don't get a nice quality guitar through a SS amp voiced for metal.
No one in the thread stated anywhere that all line6 products are bad but the majority of folks on any forum will agree the spider is a shotty beginners amp. Marketed towards kids who don't know any better. And I use several line6 products that are great. Pocket pod,Hd500,echo park,dl4 to name a few. But the spider ranks right along with the MG in being sh*t.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
If you can, I'd go used Peavey Classic, 30 should be plenty, or a used JCMdsl100. Where are you located, or did I miss this? I almost went with the Classic but I decided to shell out for the Splawn. Both can handle a LOT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Classic-30-1x12-30-Watt-Tube-Guitar-Amp-/131431112594

That's only 334, and I'm sure if you sit and wait you can find better prices or closer deals.

This is even cheaper! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Classic-50/171676139423?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D5ed5d592318a45f6a754a840809e572c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271775635303&rt=nc

But DAMN heavy.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
This got a bit sidetracked. I don't think the original point was that TS is using a Spider. It could be anything from a similar price range and it would still make no sense to buy a $1000 guitar and play it through a $100 practice amp. Split the budget and you'll get a lot better results.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I didn't read the previous posts, but you can play anything on a "superstrat" or metal guitar. The vast majority of your tone will come fro your amp.

I often play blues on an Ibanez S570DXQM with Evolution pickups.
Through a Vox AC30.
Kick in an OD or other dirt pedal and I can do most any rock genre that suits me (Classic, early metal, blues rock, Southern Rock (For that its usually just a compressor added in, maybe an FD2 or TS)).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
For the OP:

Wow, way to piss away any small amount of credibility you might have had. It would have been bad enough had the wording merely been unnecessarily confrontational, but that coupled with the fact that your claims were bogus was simply...incredible.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^I have the slightest hunch that the quoted post was written with heavy sarcasm. If not... ehh.

The Spiders are good for bedroom practice for beginners who don't know what kind of sound they want, nor how to get it by traditional
or arguably correct
means. They are fun to toy around with for the beginner guitarist, and they are very cheap. Although I don't see a point in getting anything beyond the 30W, even then that's pushing it (VT20+ is in the same price range).

TS wanted a $1000 guitar for versatility, while being ignorant (not insulting here) to the fact that his Spider just isn't worth using a $1000 guitar with.

So split the budget, TS. Tube 60 and a passive guitar with a humbucker and a singlecoil are my recs (HSH is versatile).
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
So split the budget, TS. Tube 60 and a passive guitar with a humbucker and a singlecoil are my recs (HSH is versatile).

One of these:
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/75-retrorocket-deluxe-dg.html
https://reverb.com/item/193041-richmond-belmont-burgundy
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?make%5B%5D=reverend&price_max=600&query=Reverend

Plus something like one of these:
www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/vintageseries.php
https://reverb.com/item/250832-fender-hot-rod-deluxe-iii

Will get you a lot of classic rock tones, and you can get some pedals to help you emulate particular guitarists' styles. For instance, this would help with the David Gilmour stuff:
https://reverb.com/item/494798-boss-rt-20-rotary-ensemble
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 17, 2015,
If you want a Gilmour sound I would suggest a HRD and a mexican strat. I've tried this in store recently and sounded great! this setup is very close to your budget. HRD is also great with pedals as most pedals compliment the amp. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIBQ3raEV-8 is a video with a HRD and a mexican strat playing a gilmour sound. I am not anyway involved in video but I found it while browsing. as you can see in the video, gilmour's sound is full of effects so you would need quite a bit of pedals to re-create his sounds. pedals include overdive, distortion/fuzz, compression, flanger, phaser, chorus and delay.

If you want a better metal sound, something like an orange amp would get you a great tone. something like a TH30. A guitar with humbucker pickups would be better for metal, but I am not that into metal guitars so I don't know what to suggest.
Quote by dspellman
For the OP:

Those EMGs are not particularly comfortable with other genres.

Wrong. EMG's are fine for plenty of other genres. If you use those funny little turny things on the front of your guitar, volume and tone I think they are a whole new world opens up. I have an LTD h1001 with EMGs, and with the tone rolled back and volume halved on the guitar used with a boss acoustic pedal I get a better acoustic sound than I do with my Variax. EMG's are not one trick ponies.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
^ Being fine for other genres doesn't mean they are ideal for other genres. A passive pickup is more flexible than an active pickup.

For example the actives I have tried didn't have any "twang" in them. They sounded good with pure clean tone and pure distortion, but lighter crunch just sounded lifeless to me.

Also, the reason why actives don't work that well in other genres is that they are rarely used outside of metal. If you want to sound close to your favorite non-metal guitarist, actives won't really do it that well.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 23, 2015,
...though David Gilmour and several jazz guitarists enjoy their EMGs quite a lot...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
...though David Gilmour and several jazz guitarists enjoy their EMGs quite a lot...

Given that jazz was one of the driving forces behind the development of actives, that's hardly surprising right?

Plenty of people with misconceptions about what actives really are, unfortunately.

Of course like anything, pickups are a personal taste item...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
*cough*EMGs are only for Metal *cough*

Some good references for gilmour tone
http://www.gilmourish.com/
[url="http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=5682]Gilmour's Gear by Decade/Album/Song/Show
-> Buying Guide <-
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Page 1 of 2