Page 1 of 3
if youre a participant, head to this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1670524

http://challonge.com/UGpokemon

Yup, it's finally here. I know how much you've wanted to beat your fellow pit monkeys at pokemon and now it can finally be a thing.

Sign up quickly because there's a cap of 32 participants. You'll have to register an account here but it's pretty easy.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/WQQkWpahv6

We'll be playing on this site:

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

I would recommend taking a look and getting used to battling and teambuilding. As you'll notice, there are different "tiers," like OU (overused), UU (underused), Ubers, etc. These basically just dictate which pokemon you can and can't use in a particular "weight class" so to say. This tournament will be an OU tournament, meaning you can use every pokemon in OU and in any tier lower than OU. As we host more tournaments we'll throw in some more variety, and maybe even host an Ubers tourney for those of you who like op pokemon.

Signups will close on Monday Feb 16 at 16:00 Pacific time (GMT-08:00). We might not have to wait that long if it fills up quickly.

General rules for the tournament:

It's a double elimination tournament - you'll get two chances to win.
OU teams only - only use pokemon from OU and lower tiers
You don't have to stick with the same team throughout the tournament.
You are allowed to watch any match.

Anyways, sign up. It'll be fun.

edit: if you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask. also make a post here if you're signing up

Participants:
windsofentropy - reddeath9
MetalMario - metal4eva_22
caeser1156 - caeser1156
Shotgunmerc - Shotgunmerc
FoldingTessarects - luvs2gro
tangle - tanglewoodguit
FirefromtheJohto - FireFromTheVoid
BabyJoel - babyjoel??
xoxo_ross_xoxo - raoooos
rynnas - thrash?
losingbattle - losing battle
willthecock - slipknot5678
Sicero - ??
Helzya - JohnnyHelzya

Last edited by RedDeath9 at Feb 16, 2015,
Chazz and Jack better sign up so I can beat them at their own game

Edit: Me and merc first round is what it said when I entered

I'm FirefromtheJohto if you couldn't guess
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Feb 14, 2015,
I'm in
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
i'm pretty sure the pit has had pokemon tournaments before. just saying.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
So are you in, or are you in?
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Dumb question is it singles doubles or tripples
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I'm pretty sure this tournament is gonna be singles but future tournaments will most likely switch it up so as to keep it fresh and so everyone gets a chance to play at what they are most comfortable with
Is there a way we can watch? If I'm sitting around when you're playing, I'll watch. It'd be cool to get a TC or something going so we can chat, make bets, trash talk, etc live.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I'm not very good but I'm in I guess
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by snipelfritz
Is there a way we can watch? If I'm sitting around when you're playing, I'll watch. It'd be cool to get a TC or something going so we can chat, make bets, trash talk, etc live.

Pretty sure you can join live showdown matches and watch and chat in the chat area. If people posted up links to their matches in the thread people could jump in and spectate.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Are people going to be changing pokemans throughout different matches.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I don't really like singles it takes so much of the strategy out of the game,..
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
I don't really like singles it takes so much of the strategy out of the game,..

we can do a doubles/triples tourney later on. I feel like people would get pretty confused/overwhelmed if we just thrust them into the doubles metagame right away.

Quote by Momentosis
Are people going to be changing pokemans throughout different matches.

i kinda referred to this in the first post, i had initially said that you could only use one team for the whole tournament. but if we're gonna let everyone watch each other's matches, we might as well allow team-changing. i personally probably won't change my team throughout the tournament, but for those people who want to be unpredictable, the choice is there.

btw you guys need to sign up here too: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/WQQkWpahv6

i dont think i saw knucklehead in the list of participants.

Quote by pbiggie
i'm pretty sure the pit has had pokemon tournaments before. just saying.

yeah i think i vaguely remember being in one, i just don't remember actually finishing one.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Feb 15, 2015,
I have never played Pokemon with other people; only the games going through the story and catching pokemon, putting little thought into the strategy.

As such I am probably terrible and will easily lose first round. Let's do it.
anyone wanna battle? my username on there is winds of entropy, if you go into a room and type "/challenge winds of entropy" i should get the notification

also for anyone new to all of this, EVs are important. if you need some help building a team, smogon is a pretty good resource. it gives you common movesets and EV spreads and whatnot. e.g. http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/scizor
yeah sure I'm wasting my life away at the moment anyway just let me build a team first

edit: this will take like ten minutes 'cause I'm overthinking everything.

never had access to every pokemon at level 100 and every item like this. >_>
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Feb 15, 2015,
yeah it's a bit overwhelming at first but then you realize that only certain combinations of items/movesets etc. are viable for different pokemon. i mean you could try running a tanky absol but there are so many pokemon that fill that niche better.

some basic guidelines:
leftovers is a good item for bulky pokemon, makes them harder to take down
offensive pokemon typically use life orb, choice band, choice scarf, choice specs, uh... can't remember what else. they can use leftovers too, it's pretty much a universally good item. on a poison type you can use black sludge.

am i right in assuming that luvs2gro is tesseract, slipknot is will, and ross is raooos?
Quote by slipknot5678
I have never played Pokemon with other people; only the games going through the story and catching pokemon, putting little thought into the strategy.

As such I am probably terrible and will easily lose first round. Let's do it.

This is the same boat I'm in, but man, I'm gonna wreck merc's face if I'm still facing him tomorrow at 6pm

Have absolutely no idea what I'm doing though.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
This is the same boat I'm in, but man, I'm gonna wreck merc's face if I'm still facing him tomorrow at 6pm

Have absolutely no idea what I'm doing though.

This guy
Like I said, your best bet is to experiment with different stuff.

This is an OU tournament, so there's gonna be certain pokes that aren't allowed, mostly legendaries. Look through the list of Pokemon that are allowed in OU, and see what you like, then see what other people are using for those pokemon.

Try to avoid having too much of the same type, or too many pokemon that are weak to the same type. If half of your team is weak to fire, and you don't have anything to counter that, you're going to be screwed.

Honestly, best advice I can give is either to experiment or ask someone better than me
but merc, you and bladez are the only pokepeople I have on skype that can help me beat you and I think you'd know yourself better than him.

That's actually not true but you're the two most serious.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Feb 15, 2015,
i would just pick some pokemon you like and check out common movesets for them on smogon. that being said, there are a lot of different ways to build a team. you can have hyperoffensive teams, stall teams, uh... i dunno what else. but basically with a relatively defensive team you could switch out into any attack and be pretty sure you were gonna survive it, because you've got defensive tanks (ferrothorn, slowbro, skarmory, etc.) or specially defensive tanks (vaporeon, umbreon, chansey w/ eviolite, latias, etc.) Hyperoffensive teams would have less bulky pokemon, so if you needed to switch pokemon you'd have to have really good prediction skills, so as to switch into a move that's not very effective on your pokemon

i personally try to just run a balanced team, two tanks (one special and one physical), then a few attackers. make at least one specialize in physical attacks, and at least one in special attacks.

oh, toxic and will-o-wisp are important attacks, toxic is especially good for taking out tanks that would otherwise be very hard to kill, will-o-wisp for crippling physical attackers (unless they have the ability Guts)

healing moves are good on tanks (roost, recover, slack off). if you're running Wish, run Protect as well.

Oh, yeah, same-type attack bonus (STAB) is important. if your pokemon is a dark type and it uses a dark type move, the power is boosted by 50%. you guys probz already knew that though

EDIT: Oh yeah, volt switch and u-turn are good moves, esp. if you set up Stealth Rocks on the opponent's side of the field. volt switch and u-turn let you do damage and switch at the same time, and you switch into a pokemon that puts pressure on the opponent, forces them to switch and take stealth rocks damage. this is also a good reason to run something like defog or rapid spin, which will get rid of any hazards on your side of the field (and also get rid of light screen and reflect). defog works on both sides of the field though, not just yours.

i wouldn't underestimate the damage that stealth rocks can do. it takes into account weaknesses, so a bug/fire type or a flying/fire type would lose 50% when it switches into it.
Yes I am folding tessarects, that's my showdown alias
i'll randomize the bracket after signups close, i don't like how the first people to sign up will have byes if they're required

who's sicero? they just signed up
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Feb 16, 2015,
Page 1 of 3