Hey guys, I'm interested in buying a sitar (not sure if I can post about this here, although im not extremely knowledgable about the instruments so I came here hoping you guys could help me out.

I found this sitar on eBay for $200 AUD, and the seller claims for it to be a professional sitar that he/she purchased for $1700. Now I think it looks quite nice, but my eye is untrained, and the cheap price makes it seem a bit dodgy... Although is has a hairline crack which would bring down the price I wouldn't think it'd be that much. It also doesn't look as if it has a sitar makers badge on the headstock.

Anyway, please tell me what you think - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321670120706
Last edited by DankyKay at Feb 15, 2015,
Linkey no workey.

I went shopping on the web one night for left handed sitars. Strangely, I found a higher percentage of them, than I would have been able to find in left handed guitars..

In any case, labor is cheap in India, and those things are made out of gourds.

That said, the prices seemed to be running in the neighborhood of $600.00 to $1000.00 (US). I know prices are awfully steep in the ANZAC nations, so I don't exactly know how to compare what my price would be in the US, to an equivalent value in Australia. (Although, from a logistic standpoint Australia is probably the same distance India as the US, maybe closer).

There are two primary different types of sitar. Some have one gourd, and are configured similarly to most western stringed instruments, the other type, has a gourd at both ends. Allegedly, those are supposed o be the better types. But, all the recommendations I saw, were to buy the single ended version, as the balance is lousy on the double ended models.

Now, when you want to sell something badly enough, you tag it as "professional". That's pretty standard practice for whatever goods you have to unload. I would take that with a grain of salt.

Personally, I won't shop on Ebay, and especially for used goods. You can write that off as my personal problem, or hangup, if you prefer.

That's about as much as I can tell you. Other than that, the sitar is a real bitch to play, and I suggest that $1700.00, is a lot of money to spend, on what seems to me to be a whim.

I strongly suggest doing a whole lot more research, and not spending all your money on the first sitar you come to.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 15, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
Linkey no workey.

I went shopping on the web one night for left handed sitars. Strangely, I found a higher percentage of them, than I would have been able to find in left handed guitars..

That said, the prices seemed to be running in the neighborhood of $600.00 to $1000.00 (US). I know prices are awfully steep in the ANZAC nations, so I don't exactly know how to compare what my price would be in the US, to an equivalent value in Australia. (Although, from a logistic standpoint Australia is probably the same distance India as the US, maybe closer).

There are two primary different types of sitar. Some have one gourd, and are configured similarly to most western stringed instruments, the other type, has a gourd at both ends. Allegedly, those are supposed o be the better types. But, all the recommendations I saw, were to buy the single ended version, as the balance is lousy on the double ended models.

Now, when you want to sell something badly enough, you tag it as "professional". That's pretty standard practice for whatever goods you have to unload. I would take that with a grain of salt.

Personally, I won't shop on Ebay, and especially for used goods. You can write that off as my personal problem, or hangup, if you prefer.

That's about as much as I can tell you. Other than that, the sitar is a real bitch to play, and I suggest that $1700.00, is a lot of money to spend, on what seems to me to be a whim.

I strongly suggest doing a whole lot more research, and not spending all your money on the first sitar you come to.....

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the ad ended on eBay because no one bought it so ill relink it once it's been put up again. It had two gourds and the other characteristics of the sitar made it look above intermediate quality but not at all professional quality. I tried adding photos although te were too big even after I made them smaller. It's extremely hard finding sitars in Australia especially locally and getting them posted is a big gamble so I'm quite stuck here... And there are almost no sitar dealers in Australia which digs me in. Bigger hole, I guess all I can do is go keep searching. Personally I'd like to spend around $500 because I wouldn't want to overspend incase something fell through
Quote by Captaincranky
Linkey no workey.

P.s I updated the link - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321670120706
Quote by Captaincranky
Yeah that was my bad, I had script blocking on, and the page wouldn't load.

It's back up right now @ $200 AUD.

Did ye look at the photos?
Quote by DankyKay
Did ye look at the photos?
Verily I say unto thee, I hae...

If the seller will take $200.00 AUD, it looks like it would be worth that much, as an objet d'art. It goes without saying, it would be an absolute PITA to dust.

I'm surprised that the US dollar's exchange rate is favorable to the AUD.

I've never worked with the bowl materials of a sitar. If we were talking wood, I'd say that the crack in the upper bowl is easily reparable.

I am very curious as to why you want it. You can get a pedal to synthesize sitar from the guitar. It would be a fairly huge undertaking, to learn the sitar from scratch, despite whatever stringed instrument you play now. But hey, I'm boring and incompetent enough to never even try alternate tunings....

The seller has good ratings, and he's in your neck of down under. If he's being forthright about the instrument's needs and damage, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Like I said, even if you put it on a display stand, and just look at it. I figure a musical household should at least have one of those. Plus, it wouldn't destroy your floor joists, as would a piano.

Here's a link to the sitar synthesizer pedal: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/electro-harmonix-the-ravish-sitar-synthesizer-guitar-effects-pedal?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQiApIGnBRCFx-idn7-E2Y8BEiQAc6fQbM4lei8n2N9eus1QCv0MzaQaIXSsB57pi1Rmu3Nv68UaArD08P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^83572823307-sku^H77552000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387 It also seems like it might be a PITA as well, with respect to programming it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 15, 2015,