I just started tabbing out a song I like, but as I am fairly new to guitar, i could use some help. The song is "Angels" by Skylar Cahn, here is a link to youtube: Skylar Cahn - Angels

Starting out with the clean guitar starting at around 0:05, i came to this:

E|-----------0h1p0--------0h1p0----------------------------
B|--------3---------3------------3p1--1p0--------3--3p1p0--
G|-----2---------------3----------------------2------------
D|--0--------------------------------------0---------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------

Something doesn't seem to be right and i think i need a hint in the right direction.
I can't find the powerchords for the "heavy" riff too, shame on me...
Also, is this song in C major?

So folks, grab your axes and help out a newbie tabbing his first song!

thank you for your help,

beda
Sounds as if you are on the right track with your intro... The chords basically that you are asking for are to me Dm Bb F and C especially at the end of the song in that order... Also there is a G, G7 and a Dm7 in there as well at parts..ok...like Dm Bb Dm7 G7 ..and combinations like that. The one constant are the first two chords are Dm then Bb

The intro is based on the chords stated ..like in the intro it is basically based on the Dm chord... Then the Bb etc....

Good luck and I think like I stated you are on the right track and will now get the tab done..let me know if and when you decide to submit it.ok
Last edited by DON CZARSKI at Feb 15, 2015,
It's in Dm, not C major. To figure out the key, you need to listen. Which of the chords feels like the home chord (tonic)? In this case it's kind of "obvious" because of the D pedal point (that the strings play).

Yes, you are on the right track but you got the last chord wrong, it is a G major chord. So this is how it goes:

E|-----------0h1p0--------0h1p0--------------------------------
B|--------3---------3------------3p1-1----1p0--------0--1p0----
G|-----2---------------3--------------------------0---------0--
D|--0------------------------------------------0---------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------

What may help is singing the riff, and only after that trying to play it on your guitar (and try to match the guitar to your singing). When you sing it, you also memorize the sound and it gets easier to "slow it down" in your head and think about the individual notes.

The power chords are a bit hard to hear because of the tone and all the other instruments playing at the same time. It gets a bit muffled. From 1:14 -> the distorted chords are (in power chords) D Bb F G. The chords are actually the same throughout the whole song. Before 1:14 I'm not completely sure. All of the chord voicings seem to have D as their lowest note. It starts with a D5 then the next chord is x x 0 3 x x which is a Bb chord (in this context). Then I'm not sure about the next chord because it gets muffled but I would guess it's x x 0 5 x x (let's call that an F because of the overall harmony), then the Bb chord and F again. The second repeat is the same in the beginning - D5, Bb, F, but then a G5. That's what I hear. But as I said, I can't be too sure about the voicings because it gets a bit muffled and the tone is pretty unclear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 15, 2015,
Thank you very much, both of you helped me out a lot. It is kind of hard to get into tabbing. Our ears get quite few training and hearing out note for note is not easy.

I think i will need a few more days, but I will finish it weeks earlier thanks to you!

I will post any progress and submit it when we reached the final edit!

Have a nice week,

Beda
Tabbing songs improved my ear a lot. Why I started tabbing songs was because many of the tabs on this site are pretty inaccurate. It's been a while since I posted my last tab.

I recommend doing it. Having a good ear is really important for a musician.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115