So, I've had this 50+ year old Pepco 8w head for a good year and a half now, and I've finally gotten around to looking inside of it. The tube configuration has me a little confused.

The amp in question has 3 identical inputs, Volume, Tone, Reverb, and Tremolo.
Far left is the 5Y3GT rectifier tube, middle (next to the two can capisitors) sits a 6v6GT, and then to the right sit a 12ax7, a 12au7, and two 6av6 tubese. They sit:
FRONT: 12ax7 6av6
BACK: 6av6 12ax7

I can't open the amp up further, (stupid square screws that I don't have tools on hand for) but my theory is that each of the 6av6 tubes drive the tremolo and the spring reverb. Is this plausible, and would it explain why I get a slightly lower overall output going through the two circuit? Any other plausible ideas before I got out and get a new driver set in the next week or so?

Also, are there equivilents for 6av6 like there are for the 12ax7 (au7,at7, etc)? 6va6 tubes seem to be fairly cheep, so if I could get alternatives, I'd like to try them out. Thanks!

Here's the amp next to it's cousin, a similar one, different brand, same maker, but as an oversized 1x12/
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I'm clueless about the guts of an amplifier but it sure does look cool. Is "6av6" the same as 6v6? How long has it been since that thing's been retubed?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
A 6V6 is a poweramp tube. A 6av6 is basically half a 12ax7. From what I can tell, the tubes are original to the amp.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
hi, could it be that the 12ax7 and the 12au7 are the reverb and tremolo tubes. a reverb would need amplification on the send and another amplification stage at the return. So if the pre-amp stage of this amp is a 2 stage amp, then the 6av6 may be used one at each stage. I am not really into older amps...