Hi all,

A bit out there:

I'm trying to get an interesting sound from my bass (something which isn't a regular tone or distortion / overdrive). I've got a Boss ME50B but having tried to use the inbuilt synth effects, I find they sound pretty filthy.

Just wondering if anyone has used this board and mastered the synth sounds?

I'm looking for a tone which I can play over some clean piano and drums (sounds strange but I think there is a market for this sort of thing!!) - other ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Signed.
To get truly useful synthesizer sounds, at the end of the day, you almost have to go with a good synthesizer module and a hex (or for bass, a "Quad," or a "Pent") pickup. There are always a couple of good synthesizer tones in the various pedals and multi-effects devices, but a synthesizer is of its own kind, and if you want great synthesizer tones, then you have to go the whole route. Most "Bass Synthesizer" pedals are in fact just Envelope Filters, which is just one aspect of the old analog synthesizers.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Vampire_State

I really would avoid this bass. It's a very cheap and nasty instrument with a gimicky circuit and an a Kaoss pad (literally) bolted on.

2 things I would recommend besides a synth pickup (which is the obvious option if you have the dosh.)

1. Misa Tri Bass

2. Lots of modulation pedals have expression inputs and expression pedals are dirt cheap. This is pretty under appreciated by most people (I never made the most of it, even when I was into pedals) but there's a lot of room for experimentation with these pedals without the tracking problems that come with synth emulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2flANhkdZs

^ Done with just a wah pedal and overdrive.
Ibanez seems to have gone down the "cheap" route with their Kaoss-equipped guitars and basses. Maybe if they were better instruments in the first place, they would be worthwhile.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It's a regular SR series bass with a Kaoss pad

It's comparable to the SR standard, I know, i've played them both.

You guys do know you can modify the Kaoss pad right? You aren't limited to what it comes with.
Cry yourself to ash