Hi. I recently came across a problem with a guitar of mine and I was hoping to get answer here on how expensive of an operation it would be to repair it. The guitar is an Ibanez GRG170DX and it has basically gone super quiet when you plug it into an amplifier.

The sound has almost no distortion if you try to use that and the sound volume is really quiet compared to other guitars and to how it sounded before. This is ofcourse with all of the knobs turned all the way up.
Try wiggling the plug in the output jack a little. If it comes back then I'd replace the output jack.

Does this happen with other guitars or other amps/cables? Check that too.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Wiggling the plug didn't help when I discovered the problem. I haven't noticed any problems with my cables either.
get some electrical contact cleaner/lubricant and spray the switch (move the switch back and forth 10 times)
spray in the back of all the pots and twist them
'
spray the cable end and insert it in and out of the guitar a few times.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is it the guitar or the amplifier? Do you have another guitar or amp that you can use to pinpoint exactly which is the cause? It could even be the cable.
Does it have active pickups installed? Dumb question, but your battery could be dead.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
No, the guitar has passive pickups and yea I've already tested another guitar with the same amp and cable which worked just fine.

As for the electrical contact cleaner, will WD-40 work for that?
Please do not use wd40 on any electrical components. It is corrosive and petroleum based.
Deoxit.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah, never use WD40 on anything electronic. I know what the label says, but it lies. The problem with WD40 is it attracts dust. WD40 + dust = a mess. Every time I hear someone saying they want to use WD40 on electronics, I cringe. Really.

TheStig1214 is correct. DeoxIt is the best product to use. It's made by Caig. I not only use it at home, but I also use it at work. Good stuff and it won't gum up your electronics.
Quote by 4c65
Can you name a product then?

Yes Deoxit works great, if your in the USA and have a Radio Shack near you they have a contact cleaner that is great and much cheaper than Deoxit. It is all I use now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate