Hey guys.

So I play on this nice old Guild Solid Body electric guitar (S300D to be exact) from the 70's but the original Dimarzio pickps inside just don't really cut it anymore and also are so noisy with distortion and I don't know the first thing as far as getting nice new passive pickups for the guitar. I want something with really nice full and lush cleans and also something that would also be suitable for playing some heavy metal here and there. Somebody suggested to me that getting PRS brand pickups might be the way to go, but I'm also very curious to hear about Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio Neck and Bridge Pickups.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by zorkychild at Feb 16, 2015,
From my experience PRS pickups are pretty good all-arounders. I've said it before on here my Tremonti treble/bass setup is probably the best passive set I have. Seymour Duncan has the famous JB/59 and JB/Jazz combos that a lot of guitars come with nowadays. My preference being the latter having both at one point....but that's just my ears. Got a price range?
SD 59''s are nice in the neck. if you go SD, you may want to look into a custom, JB,and a duncan distortion.

dimarzio has a lot of good options. i have the tone zone/air norton combination and one with the Crunch lab/liquifire combinaton and love them. but mine are in prestige ibanez' which are quite different than what you have by a lot. but the super distortions are great.

you may also want to look into lace. they have some nice stuff. there are dozens of boutique pickups builders out there, i don't have any experience with them, but see what some others say for other ideas.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like the SD '59, and Lace should have some good options for you as well. Other makers to investigate include Tesla, Vintage Vibe, Rio Grande, Bareknuckle, RailHammer, and The Creamery.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You can email Bareknuckle for recommendations: sales[at]bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Don't forget to list your amp and guitar, and what you want to achieve.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
do you generally use the bridge pickup for distortion and the neck pickup for cleans? or do you use both for both?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by icanhasgodmode
You can email Bareknuckle for recommendations: sales[at]bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Don't forget to list your amp and guitar, and what you want to achieve.

Good point!

After contacting a couple dozen over the years on various projects, I've actually found most pickup makers are willing to give you suggestions about which of their pickups would work for your purposes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Left field recommendation here. I love my Lace Dissonant Aggressors for everything. Even the other stuff in the Lace Sensor line (like the Hemis, which may be more your taste) are all spectacular pickups.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9