Hey guys.

I am thinking of buying Focusrite Scarlett Solo and have some questions about it...

I'll be recording guitar and bass (both with passive pickups) and maybe vocals. I am using MIDI keyboard (with MIDI to USB cable) too. This is my laptop: http://laptop.bg/archive/laptops-toshiba-Satellite_C55_A-toshiba_satellite_c55a19n_black with additional 4 gb RAM and Windows 7 x64. Is this Focusrite model suitable for me? I am looking mostly for decent audio quality (so far I've recorded guitars only via the internal audio card and I certainly hope that the sound will be better), acceptable latency and reliability (I don't want to search and reinstall drivers everyday or other technical issues)... This is why I am asking for your opinions. Moreover I'll be testing my friend's Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 soon - will the audio quality and compatibility with Windows 7 will be the same as the Solo?

Thanks in advance... and sorry for my English - I guess it's not very good
I use a Focusrite 2i:2 and it's great. They're quality units. I've not noticed any latency issues or background noise. Definitely a good buy on a budget.

Reporting this just so it gets moved over to the recordings forum, you'll get some better responses in there. Generally it's good to also to mention your budge as well.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
I use a Focusrite 2i:2 and it's great. They're quality units. I've not noticed any latency issues or background noise. Definitely a good buy on a budget.

Reporting this just so it gets moved over to the recordings forum, you'll get some better responses in there. Generally it's good to also to mention your budge as well.

i have a 2i4 and love it. +1 to eppicurt, on all accounts.

its also got nice preamps. and works very well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks to both of you! Yes, maybe I was wrong to post here and it will be more suitable for the Recordings forum. As for my budget - well, let's say that the 2i2's price is the absolute maximum I'll be ready to pay but I really don't need the two inputs and that's why I am thinking about the Solo.
What are you planning to use as a DAW?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I think it sounds pretty damn bad.

Though nothing really sounds better in that price range, so if you don't wanna spend more money you may as well get one.

Don't ever get a 2i2, it has very little input headroom and no input gain reduction.

If you ever want to get something like a 2i4 then get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture EX, they sound better.

Audacity is a waste of time, reaper is better for everything.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hi Imraotnh,

To answer your initial questions, the preamp in the Scarlett Solo is the same design as those in the Scarlett 2i2. The AD-DA conversion performance is almost identical between the two units so your friend's 2i2 will be a very accurate representation of the sort of audio quality you can expect with the Scarlett Solo. I'm not aware of any issues running our interfaces on your laptop. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Spambot_2
I think it sounds pretty damn bad.

Though nothing really sounds better in that price range, so if you don't wanna spend more money you may as well get one.

Don't ever get a 2i2, it has very little input headroom and no input gain reduction.

If you ever want to get something like a 2i4 then get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture EX, they sound better.

Audacity is a waste of time, reaper is better for everything.

Wat. I've used mine for tons of recordings and have had nothing but total control over this. It's really easy to balance input gain and volume.

The sound quality is fine on them, I don't understand what you're talking about.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Wat. I've used mine for tons of recordings and have had nothing but total control over this. It's really easy to balance input gain and volume.

The sound quality is fine on them, I don't understand what you're talking about.

I have to agree with Eppicurt on this. I have never had an issue. It works flawlessly for me, two inputs work fine.

I had a m audio fast track and was a problem, and got the Scarlet as a replacement and couldn't be happier
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its also got nice preamps. and works very well.
What other interfaces have you had in your hands for a day or so?
Quote by Eppicurt
Lotsa people with mid and high output p/ups recording direct have their inputs clipping 'cause there's not enough gain reduction on the input.

The issue is solved on the 2i4 and above 'cause they have an engageable input pad, and in the most recent couple of interfaces (scarlett solo for example) which simply have less gain on tap, which makes them un-ideal for dynamic mics such as SM58's.
Quote by Eppicurt
I'm talking about the sound quality
I find for just a bit more money you can get much better stuff.

Even if you only look at the mackie onyx blackjack's specs you'll find it's top down better, and it costs as much as a 2i4.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have the Solo and it came with Cubase LE 7. I would suggest if your running a good DAW, get more RAM (at least 8gb). An i7 processor for PC is best for performance I am seeing right now. I haven't had clipping issues at all. Am using the mic that came with right at my cab and so far its been great. I plug the bass in direct as well and its ok but i dont have a good bass amp so I choose to direct that.
My buddy ordered a Scarlett 18/20 for our band but it didn't come in yet for our last practice so I took my laptop and the Solo and I have to say it really worked good. We separated the vocals to one Scarlett channel and put his Yamaha mixer XLR out to the other and it worked pretty good.
We tried Ableton to record but had some weird stuff going on so we used Cubase and got it done pretty easily.
BTW I dont know what I'm doing so if I find this easy then anyone can do it. Audacity is ok for free. But free is free.