Hi all!

I own a Fender Frontman 65R and I use a Gibson Les Paul studio and a Maxon OD-9 and BOSS ST-2 (power stack). My chain is: gibson -> OD-9 -> ST-2 -> Amplifier. I am not using the amp effects loop.

We play classic with a little bit of hard rock with my band. I recently use mainly the OD-9 but stacking the ST-2 on it in some songs for some more dirty sound.

The problem is that recently (that I got the above pedals), I have noticed that the sound of the Fender Frontman 65R is quite harsh and very dry. It seems like too much treble in the sound and somehow I compensate this with the guitar tone pot, however the sound remains somehow dry.

Does anyone have similar problems? Any ideas to smoothen this?
Your maxon will not overdrive a solidstate amp in a pleasing manner like it would a tube amp there for you will get a harsh tone instead of a nice valve break up you'd here from pushing the tubes with the od9. Best bet just dial in the power stack only for your best sound or just the od9 not both.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Yup, that's what a Frontman sounds like.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Yup, that's what a Frontman sounds like.

So we are saying that it's not the les paul, it is not the OD-9 or ST-2, so this would be away with say a Marshall? How about the MARSHALL AVT-50 or instance (hybrid)?
The AVT will be a step-up no doubt. Are you in the amp buying market/capability though? The les paul and OD-9 are great pieces of gear. If you're wanting a nice, warmer tone the combo of a distortion pedal into a cheaper solid state can't do it. I think we all tried our hardest at one point or another
Just managed to get a used VOX VT80+ the past weekend and it seems that all problems were solved. The amp is really warm and I am able to use both overdrive and distortion in a nice setup without this harshness of the Fender. It seems that the Frontman was not that "matched" with my pedals, maybe playing style also.
I used to own one of those but now, I'm using a Roc-Pro 700 which is a 70 watt hybrid that has a 12AX7 / ECC83 installed in the preamp of the Gain channel and it blows away the Frontman. You should see about getting one of those. They're relatively inexpensive and sound really great .
Quote by drlykos
Just managed to get a used VOX VT80+ the past weekend and it seems that all problems were solved. The amp is really warm and I am able to use both overdrive and distortion in a nice setup without this harshness of the Fender. It seems that the Frontman was not that "matched" with my pedals, maybe playing style also.
A good choice c: The VT series are a very good hybrid modeling series, most people would agree. Try changing the 12AX7 soon to see if you can get some even better tones (although not much difference will be apparent). I want to get a VT just for kicks soon.