Hello

I've read on a lot of places that tube amps need to warm up, is this the same for hybrid amps since they do have a tube?

(Ps do tube-effect-pedals need to warm up as well?)

Luke
Last edited by luke.geelen at Feb 17, 2015,
Preamp tubes really don't need warmup time. Power tubes are good after 30-40 seconds. Anyone who tells you you need to warm your tubes for more than that is either ignorant of the scientific facts about vacuum tubes and how they operate, or they're on the shady end of the vacuum tube sells business and trying to get you to unnecessarily burn your tubes. It cracks me up every time I see someone talking about how they always warm their tubes for 30 minutes before playing. I'm sure you'll get some responses that will say their amp "sounds" better after 30 minutes of warmup time, so it can be a very subjective topic. It's certainly not going to hurt the tubes to warm them longer, it's just using life from them.
Yeah, I agree with TheGroundZero's comment, I leave my valve amp for around a minute just to be on the safe side but if your hybrid only has preamp valves you can just turn it on and play.
What TheGroundZero said.
At most, I may turn things on when I get setup, then go outside and smoke a little something for a few minutes.
No.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by luke.geelen
Hello

I've read on a lot of places that tube amps need to warm up, is this the same for hybrid amps since they do have a tube?

(Ps do tube-effect-pedals need to warm up as well?)

Hello back at ya.

Tube amps don't really need to warm up. Hybrid amps definitely don't need to warm up.

Tube-effect-pedals don't need to warm up, either. Most of those tubes (there are exceptions) are there as marketing gimmicks ("real tube tone!!!!") and to light up pretty.
My Vox VT30 hybrid seems to automatically warm up a short time after switching it on, before the overdrive sets in. But that's about one or two seconds.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
tbh i even let ss amps "warm up." it just makes me feel better c:

Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
A tube power section must warm up. I have amps with and with out standby switches, the one without a stand buy takes ~30 seconds and then the sound will fade in when the power section is warm.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Technically yes. But need is too strong a word. Tubes have heaters that need to come up to temp before the tubes work properly. That's true for both preamp and power tubes. But the heaters come up to temp in a matter of 10 -20 sec. I recall that when I had a Valvestate hybrid a long time ago and you played it right away you could hear the hybrid tube come up to temp.
What fly said. All tubes take some time to warm up, preamp tubes just take a bit less time. However, if you do try to play through it before it is warm, no damage will ensue, it just won't work. Keep in mind that no tube amp apart from guitar amps ever had a standby switch. On hifi's you just had to wait until the sound started coming out. Nobody but guitarists ever had a special switch to use while warming up, and that's not even why it was initially included. People stress way too much over warming up procedures.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by fly135
Technically yes. But need is too strong a word. Tubes have heaters that need to come up to temp before the tubes work properly. That's true for both preamp and power tubes. But the heaters come up to temp in a matter of 10 -20 sec. I recall that when I had a Valvestate hybrid a long time ago and you played it right away you could hear the hybrid tube come up to temp.

yeah agree here. i have a Legend amp from the late 70s that has an all tube preamp and a solid state power section. it does take the preamp tubes a few seconds to heat up and it takes some time for them to really get cooking as well. you can definitely hear the difference soundwise from when forst turned on to when the tubes really get going. i'm thinking in the case of many of the new amps that just throw a tube in that that won't make as much a difference. some of theose amps don't even run the tube at full plate voltage.
Lower plate voltage would, if anything, make it take longer to warm up. But there are two types of warming up:
1. Cathode warming. This is what is required for it to actually conduct. It's what the heater is heating.
2. Plate warming. This is what makes it sound good and only happens after you start playing. The plate is actually hotter than the cathode. Warming the amp up on standby does nothing to heat up the plate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What fly said. All tubes take some time to warm up, preamp tubes just take a bit less time. However, if you do try to play through it before it is warm, no damage will ensue, it just won't work. Keep in mind that no tube amp apart from guitar amps ever had a standby switch. On hifi's you just had to wait until the sound started coming out. Nobody but guitarists ever had a special switch to use while warming up, and that's not even why it was initially included. People stress way too much over warming up procedures.

All of the above.

Twice.

I turn on both switches and play till noise comes out. I turn off both at the same time as well.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
LOL, despite all of that I do turn on my amp, turn on my pedalboard, strap on my guitar, then turn off standby. I guess tradition is a powerful influence. It's my cowardly faithfulness to my prejudice being manifest.
Quote by fly135
LOL, despite all of that I do turn on my amp, turn on my pedalboard, strap on my guitar, then turn off standby. I guess tradition is a powerful influence. It's my cowardly faithfulness to my prejudice being manifest.

Nah, it's just habit(s) and we all have a few.

If you insisted everyone else do it that way, then you might be right...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by fly135

same here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Will Lane
So where did the rumour-filled 5+ minute start-up times for toobs start?

TGP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate