Hello all,
This is a similar question to my other one so i apologize but im going to get a jca20h (£125) is that a good price considering the jca22h is £200 new.
Im after some really high gain distortion, cam swapping the first tube in the amp give decent results? Im can't really afford to change them all, would you guys recommend changing any?
Pedals:
Im after a metal muff (these are absolute monsters ive seen reviews/sound tests) and a behringer nr300 seems an absolute must for countering horrible feedback im getting. Would you recommend anything else?
Cab:
Budget: £120
Im thinking of something small 1x12/2x12. Would a good 1x12 be better than a decent 2x12?
How would a harley benton g112 http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112.htm with a celestion v30 http://www.thomann.de/gb/celestion_vintage_30_gitarrenspeaker.htm sound for metal? Can i do better on my budget for a small/light cab for metal?
Misc:
Has anyone used optimas 24 carat gold strings? For £10 they wont be gold but they seem worth a try because of all the positive reviews.

If anybody thinks they can help me out with any of these I'd be really greatful.
I have a jet city JCA50h, and i love the tones for music such as this. It can definatly achieve them, you just have to push it a bit. The jca22 seems to be very similar, so i say go for it.

You dont need the metal muff, and even if you did, its not that good anyway. What you do need is an overdrive pedal, to drive and tighten the hi-gain channel on the amp. You can get a Digitech BadMonkey for a crazy low price, and its a nice little overdrive. Others you can go for are the TubeScreamres or the Maxon GT-808. Im really happy with my bad monkey tho. As far as the noise gate goes, you dont really need it, unless you will be playing at really high volumes. I use my JCA50 to play with a band, and i realized i dont really need my boss ns-2. If you really think you need one, i suggest you choose between the NS-2 and the ISP Decimator instead of the behringer. Behringer pedals in general tend to be crap, at least the ones i heard.

A good cab will be anything with a vintage30 in it, and the 1x12 or 2x12 Harley Benton cabs get recomended the most on this forum. They do seem like the best deal for the price, so you are right on the point with that one.

I dont know much about the strings, but i doubt you will hear much of a difference. The whole 24 carat gold seems like a marketing ploy. I'd just go with normal EarieBalls or D'Addario's.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Thanks for the reply, you seem to have a lot of first hand experiences with the stuff which is really useful!
I think the metal muff seems quite good for what im after because its really adjustable and im after something with a bit higher gain than a bad monkey. The ns300 is about £15 so I will probably get it because its cheap. The advice on cabs as well is useful. A good quality 1x12 would be perfect for what im after.
Should i close the back up on the cab for a tighter bass?
You wont be using the distortion of the bad monkey as in itself. You will be using he distortion channel on the amp, and then using the overdrive to push it a bit more, to give it a bit more gain and tightness. It will definately sound better than the metal muff. ABout the ns300, well its your choice, but be prepared to throw it away after 3 months because you realize it sucks.

For the cab, im not really sure. The harley benton just sells one version i think, so its kinda a moot question.
Vintage thirties and celestion aren't the be-all end-all. Anything loaded with eminence speakers would also be good, I prefer the tone of an eminence (I have swamp thangs in a custom built cab) with my JCA 50. Soldano cabs are all loaded with eminence speakers, and the JCA is a soldano circuit (sort of).
True, i dont really know that much about speakers. But, considering that OP is buying from thomann, its safe to say that he is based in europe. And a Harley Benton 1x12 with a Vintage30 is around 100€, while i cant even find any with swamp thangs. But yeah, op, you can check out what other speakers are recomended for metal, and see what cabs you can get with that. But you really cant get anything cheaper than the HB Vintage cab.

And i just realized that he listed his bidget in pounds, so i guess OP is from britain.
That amp has plenty of gain. Any more and the sound gets mushy and notes get lost (much like with the metal muff). I just watched a few videos of the JCA20. You don't need a distortion pedal. A Tube Screamer would be able to push the amp's distortion past any metal I've ever heard as well as bring definition to your low end notes! AND...... Ibanez just released a mini version of the Tube Screamer (for less $) bringing the price lower than that of the Metal Muff!

As far as noise suppressors go........ you are right! It is cheap. With the metal muff.... you probably will need one.(owned the muff for about 6 months) With the amp + tube screamer you probably won't need one unless you have horrible grounding issues with your guitar wiring.

How about reverb or delay?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
EMG's
TS9
JCM800/5150

I'm much into thrash metal but I dislike EMG's. I know most of them use EMG's, but I prefer Duncans, I find they give me more brutal sound. I'll take a JB over an EMG anytime, for any style actually.

Marshall is pretty obvious, but Engl might have to say a word or two, especially for the ultra-gain faction. But yes, I do prefer Marshalls for their rawer, dirtier sound.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Feb 17, 2015,
If you're going to play metal you need the 22H, not the 20H, since the 22H has the high gain channel and the 20H doesn't.

Thomann already does a 1x12 loaded with a vintage 30 for a lot cheaper than you can buy the cab and speaker you listed separately. However, the cab is open-backed, which might not be ideal for metal.

I'd probably rather have a 2x12 really, assuming you can stretch to it. the HB 2x12 vintage is only about £30-£40 more (remember, your CC might rip you a bit on the exchange rate and/or charge a foreign transaction fee of a few percent, if your budget is really tight) than what you listed, and is probably a lot more useful for what you want.

EDIT: i'd probably scrap the metal muff idea and put what it costs towards the amp (ideally the 50 for metal i'd imagine, though i haven't tried the 22) and cabinet. then later when you have a little more saved up, get a bad monkey, boss sd1 or something like that to use as a boost.

Quote by haynesr
Vintage thirties and celestion aren't the be-all end-all. Anything loaded with eminence speakers would also be good,

true but he'll struggle to beat the price which thomann sells those v30-loaded HB cabs for.

i don't really like swamp thangs with my jca50H, but i like the v12s. they're a bit cheaper than v30s too, but not as cheap as buying the v30-loaded cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 17, 2015,
dave is right about the 20h. it will have a reasonable amount of distortion but not super high gain.

you don't need a metal muff unless you are planning to run the amp clean and that would be a waste. a good overdrive is what you need. i think you'll find that you need far less distortion to get you where you want to be than you think. a Bad Monkey would be good and a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 would be better. the CM-2 has a mod switch which ups the gain.

behringer is cheap but you get what you pay for i'd go with something better. if you are getting horrible feedback then chances are you are using far to much gain to begin with.
Okay guys, loving all the reponse thank you.
I've decided that it would be a good idea to sell more stuff and put a bit extra into a bugera 333xl as my head. Please let me know ASAP if its a bad idea but I reccon its miles miles better than the jet citys.
As for the muff well I picked one up on ebay for £22 because it was only listed for 1day and didn't have many bids/watchers chuffed to bits.
Would any of you reccomend against getting an ac pedal supply with 5 leads for 5 pedals? Might just get a 2amp chineese one. Can too many amps hurt the pedals?
thanks in advance
Don't get a Bugera, trust me I owned a 333 for a few years. They sound good, but they have lots of issues and problems.

A Jet City 50h, 100h, 100HDM or 22h all have a nice higain channel, the 20h does not have the higain channel. And for the prices of the Jet City amps in Europe you really can't beat them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't get a Bugera, trust me I owned a 333 for a few years. They sound good, but they have lots of issues and problems.

I thought only the first issue bugeras had problems. They apparently made their construction better or something.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I thought only the first issue bugeras had problems. They apparently made their construction better or something.

No not at all. They are still made shitty, now they have even more things to go wrong like the self biasing feature. I have seen 3 of them needing the "Infinium" crap replaced because it started randomly adjusting the bias of the tube to something way out of line.

All the local shops that are not big box retailers stopped carrying them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 19, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
No not at all. They are still made shitty, now they have even more things to go wrong like the self biasing feature. I have seen 3 of them needing the "Infinium" crap replaced because it started randomly adjusting the bias of the tube to something way out of line.

All the local shops that are not big box retailers stopped carrying them

Shame, I always wanted to try out the Tri-Rec. a used mesa triple is about four times as much as a new Bugera.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
like I said, they sound great, but they will not hold up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Knarrenheino
I'm much into thrash metal but I dislike EMG's. I know most of them use EMG's, but I prefer Duncans, I find they give me more brutal sound. I'll take a JB over an EMG anytime, for any style actually.

Marshall is pretty obvious, but Engl might have to say a word or two, especially for the ultra-gain faction. But yes, I do prefer Marshalls for their rawer, dirtier sound.

Same here man, I cant stand active pickups.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
They say there are good actives, there are people who dislike EMGs but like Duncan Blackouts for example. But there are so awesome passives that I don't really see the need for active pickups anyway.