I have a pedal board with about 10 different pedals, few of them I have built myself, my pedal-board weighs about 17 Kg, I still carry it around for every rehearsal (3 times a week).
I love my pedal board and I am absolutely proud of my pedal-board and the fantastic sounds that come of it. According to me pedal-boards give you a possibility to experience enlightenment in this world full of pain and suffering, and of course this is valid only if a person knows what they are doing with the pedals, in my case I have a very good view of what's going on on my pedal board. I have used it for 4 years, each and every pedal on it is bought after countless hours of reading material on internet. And some of them are made by me. So I have a very good knowledge about what I am doing with my pedal board. I have even spent time practicing how to switch what pedal and what time, I can tap dance the hell out of that pedal-board.
I picked up guitar for curiosity sake, and I play music for same reason, for curiosity about different sounds. Professionally I am an engineer and get well paid for it. I play music solely for enlightenment and fun, this doesn't means that I am not serious about it.

But every now and then I get in an argument with band-mates over my pedal-board. Majority of band members are art/social-studies dipshits, they find any technical discussion intimidating. And blame me for not being able to hear anything.
Vocalist has a habit of cupping the mic, and has no idea about how PA system works, and drummer would happily plug an instrument-cable into the speaker cabinet. And Bass player is least bothered, even if the bass amp is not switched on. Other guitarist is a music school student, and is very strict about usage of any additional equipment that includes a decent guitar cable.

We share the rehearsal room with other bands so often the settings on the equipment is changed, instead of fixing their respective instruments/equipment they just feel comfortable to blame me, because I have so many pedals that is exactly why I am the loudest.
Bloody sick of this.
Anyone who thinks a Peavey Bandit with master volume set to "2" on clean channel is loud, should immediately stop playing rock and roll, and sit down in a dark room, sip some whiskey and re-evaluate their life.
Speakers make sound, and speakers are driven by amplifier not the pedals.
And if you ******s can't be bothered to increase the "mids" on the EQ settings of the amp, don't blame me for your guitar sound disappearing in the mix.
Every time I come across some idiot saying "tone/music is all in fingers", I get ultra pissed.
Yeah, why even bother buying a guitar, amplifiers or a god dammn cable, just make all the tone and music with your fingers, guess what sink those fingers into an electrical socket, I assure you tone will be amazing.
There is a reason why there are so many music equipment manufacturing companies, with so many different products.

Music school purists are the worst ones to deal with in a band. It is so frustrating to explain them that music theory should be seen as a mode of communication not the sole basis of song writing. Of course sticking to the theory will give you the "pre-documented right sound", I can totally understand you had to really work hard in mugging up bunch of chords and scales/modes etc, look beyond the theory, there are more sounds-capes to be explored.
There is more to the sound of guitar and how it is made.
Any music school person who gets intimidated by gear-talk should be ashamed of themselves.
You idiots you choose music as a profession, and the gear that you use is quite a big deciding factor on your "product", why are you so un-interested in learning about it.
I have never heard of farmer who is scared to learn about how tractors work, or a fisherman being lazy about specifics of their fishing-rod. If you want music to be your profession at-least do it seriously. The truth is you are lazy ! and your brain hurts when it is given with a task to handle logical reasoning.

Sorry guys for posting such a long rant. But this is very bothersome to me, have you encountered pedal-haters ? how do you deal with them ? what is a polite way of telling them to "f(x) off" ?
Wow that was a bit long but who cares man. The best part of music and sound is that its all subjective. As long as it sounds good to you is all that should matter. Everyone hears and interprets things differently. Some people prefer plugging straight into the amp with no effects and some have a 3 boards full. To each is their own. Id rather someone judge me on my playing vs the size of my board. This is just my personal opinion of course, you're always going to have "that guy" who thinks his/hers opinion is the only one that matters. I found the best way to tell someone to F-off is to legit tell them to F-off. Works great
Nice rant...

Most guitarists I know/have heard of are obsessed with guitar gear. Most musicians like talking about gear.

The musicians you are playing with are idiots. Stop playing with them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sounds like you are destined to be a solo act.

Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The music school purists you have dealt with must have been complete knobs. In no way does a proper understanding of music theory result in a "pre-documented right sound."
I have a dozen pedals at home that I rarely use. When I play out, it's just the amp, some spring reverb and my guitar.

Unfortunately, there is a large group of musicians who believe that "using pedals is cheating." Personally, I don't care. Who cares how a guitarist gets their sound/tone? A real musician won't care one bit. Any one who scoffs at another musician for using effects isn't a real musician - especially those who don't play at all.

Don't let the losers get you down. Their opinions don't matter. It's true - the guys you are playing with are idiots. Dump them.
Just a piece of advice: get the hurt out of your butt. While I agree that pedals ate a wonderful thing you just turned the argument into a whinefest. If you feel that the rest of your band isn't on your level, get a new one. If someone tells you that pedals suck, respond with a shrug and a meh. Music isn't such a serious thing that you should feel so bad about it, if I'd get butthurt every time someone mocks black metal I couldn't sit down anymore.

And you should re-evaluate your stance on music theory. You sound like you don't really understand it, much in a same way that you view others don't understand gear. So you sound just a tad hypocritic.
It sounds like you really just need to turn down your amp when jamming....If everyone is saying you're too loud - you're too loud. You need to learn how to properly set your volume in relation to the vocal- trust me - this will be an issue at every show and it's part of playing in a band with a singer. As clueless as they are, if you're too loud - you're the problem.

Of course, the downside of having 10 pedals in your chain is that gain staging is a nightmare and turning down your amp volume is going to screw all your pedal settings. My advice is to re-set your tone at a jam session so that your volume is proper.
Peavey bandit 112 clean channel , master volume set to 2
is not loud. Lower than than I won't be able to hear myself.
It's a rock n roll band after all not a primary school.
If the singer is fighting to heard, you're too loud. Turn it to 1 - see what happens!
Quote by Vlasco
If the odd one out is you, then perhaps you are in the wrong band?

Probably cant get clearer then this.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by leenux5030
Peavey bandit 112 clean channel , master volume set to 2
is not loud. Lower than than I won't be able to hear myself.
It's a rock n roll band after all not a primary school.

Don't look at the numbers. Listen. If you are louder than the rest of the band, it is too loud. There's no point in playing at a really high volume, especially when you are just practicing. Turn it up when you are gigging.

Point the amp at your ears if you have trouble hearing yourself.

But yeah, I can't tell exactly what the problem is - is it more in you or in your bandmates (probably in a bit of both).

Our guitarist uses a Peavey Studio 65 (guitar plugged straight to the amp) with the master volume in between 1 and 2 and that's a good rehearsal volume. We all can hear the guitar but it's not too loud and the drummer doesn't need to bash his kit. Whether something is too loud has a lot to do with the room. In one room you need to play really quietly and in another you can crank everything up.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 17, 2015,
Pedals are fun. If you want AC/DC plain Jane sound that's fine too. I'm not as interested in that but music is more subjective than food....the reality is that most people coming to a live show are not listening to your chorus pedal; they wouldn't even notice it because they are paying attention to the macro not the micro.

As for your future with this band, a Roman emperor would do this:

Your bandmates are wrong though. It's not your pedalboard that makes you too loud, it's your inability to adjust the settings in order to reign in the volume properly. I,e, they're wrong for blaming your pedalboard because they should be blaming you.

But what do they know right? The singer cups the mic, the drummer doesn't know where to plug in cables, the bassist doesn't even know if his amp is turned on, and the other guitarist is a paint-by-numbers music school elitist. pffft what a bunch of morons.

You're the only one in the band that has a clue so why should you listen to them when they say you're too loud and think it's because of your pedalboard. Clearly because they're wrong about it being your pedalboard then they must be wrong about you being too loud too. Even if they're all in agreement on that it's still just a consensus of morons so you're not actually too loud they're just not loud enough to compete with your sound, so it's their fault.

In fact, by the sounds of it, pretty much everyone that doesn't agree with you is a moron in one way or another.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Sounds like you are destined to be a solo act.

Good luck!
Si
Quote by bigblockelectra
Pedals are fun. If you want AC/DC plain Jane sound that's fine too. I'm not as interested in that but music is more subjective than food....the reality is that most people coming to a live show are not listening to your chorus pedal; they wouldn't even notice it because they are paying attention to the macro not the micro.

As for your future with this band, a Roman emperor would do this:

#

Tbh I have to disagree about the audience.

Sure they can't hear the difference perhaps between 2 drive pedals, but they do experience the sound.

That you don't know what the cook has used doesn't mean u can't experience the taste.

Besides where do you put the line what a 'Regular listener' experiences. Could you get away with playing metal with a clean sound? Would an 80's song still sound 80's without the snare verb?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by 20Tigers
pffft what a bunch of morons.

If they have not yet kicked this chump to the curb, then I would indeed be inclined to agree that they are, in fact, morons.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Maybe in all the confusion someone snuck that green pedal onto your pedal board. You know the one... the SUCK pedal. So take your foot off the SUCK pedal, point the amp at your head and turn the feck down.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine

The musicians you are playing with are idiots. Stop playing with them.

This.

Unless, of course, you ARE too loud (and if anyone else in the band is having trouble being heard, then yes, you are). In which case, just work on your volume balancing. Take some time to dial in your pedal settings. It's completely possible to run through a dozen or more pedals and have a consistent volume, regardless and what's being used and when. Easy solution? Add a volume pedal at the very end of your signal chain, between your final effect pedal and your amp. Adjust on the fly as needed.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Sure they can't hear the difference perhaps between 2 drive pedals, but they do experience the sound.

that's a mighty claim.
i don't know why i feel so dry
20T wins this thread.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Naah, screw all that. l'll play it more louder in fact, that's how rock n roll is meant to be played. All you crybaby (not the pedal) pseudo-rockers can continue to do what you do, find a new lower limit to what you consider as loud.
If my bandmates can't take it they are most welcome to leave. As I mentioned earlier I don't play guitar to earn a living, I play it for fun, and I cannot possibly have fun playing at pussy volumes.

Anyways my rant was not about loudness, it was about a general lack of interest among musicians to know more about the gear and other tools of trade.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Maybe in all the confusion someone snuck that green pedal onto your pedal board. You know the one... the SUCK pedal. So take your foot off the SUCK pedal, point the amp at your head and turn the feck down.

SUCK Pedal ?? No I don't know about the SUCK pedal ? enlighten me. If I have to guess, I think any pedal designed by your contribution will be the most worthy contender of the title "SUCK"-pedal.
Pedals don't suck, you do ! and your stupid signature line also sucks.

Recommendation: Die already.
Quote by theogonia777
If they have not yet kicked this chump to the curb, then I would indeed be inclined to agree that they are, in fact, morons.

Your mum is a chump. Idiot.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Nice rant...

Most guitarists I know/have heard of are obsessed with guitar gear. Most musicians like talking about gear.

I play in another band, and mostly consisting of gear enthusiasts. We talk about gears for hours. We have been jamming for close to 3 years. Our jam sessions go so good that we improvise for hours straight, without talking. No one has ever complained about the loudness or anything. And I use the same amp and rehearsal room. And I actually play quite loud in that band. Jamming with those guys is perfect, everyone has good time.

Problem is always when I jam with idiots who can't handle/understand their gear and like to blame others for their in-capabilities.

I have jammed for several years, and I have never ever asked anyone to turn down their sound, as a promoter of freedom of expression, I always encourage people to crank those amps, play loud, live free !

And if I was the roman emperor, I would arrest anyone who complains about loudness and pedals, I will charge them for blasphemy and bitchyness, and have them executed on an inverted cross.

" Black amps will tear the sky
Feedback will free your mind " - Electric Wizard
You're basically being "that guy",don't be "that guy"..turn your stuff down and stop pissing your bandmates off
Well, this escalated quickly.

Naah, screw all that. l'll play it more louder in fact, that's how rock n roll is meant to be played.

That quote really hit home for me. I have been payed to play a lot of gigs/do sessions with other players with that attitude, somehow they never got a call back for more work.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Well, this escalated quickly.

That quote really hit home for me. I have been payed to play a lot of gigs/do sessions with other players with that attitude, somehow they never got a call back for more work.

That’s not essentially a bad thing.
And how do you know if they got calls or not ? have you been tapping their phones and email accounts or what ? So you are better than them because you got calls? Great, if that keeps you happy, good for you.
Really. You have no grasp on music. If you want to play strictly for fun and not on "pussy volumes", don't play with others. You don't have to ruin other peoples' experience with your incompetence. So you can leave serious music for serious players, and carry on from your couch. Or become a gear manufacturer. But reconsider if you have what it takes to play in a band.
Quote by leenux5030
That’s not essentially a bad thing.
And how do you know if they got calls or not ? have you been tapping their phones and email accounts or what ? So you are better than them because you got calls? Great, if that keeps you happy, good for you.

Nice try, i'm not going to fall for trolling on the internet. I have been around long enough.

On the off-chance that you are genuine though, i do this weird thing called "talking to people". The people i have been employed by have confirmed they didn't enjoy their attitudes, and that they don't like working with guitar players that put themselves on a pedestal over everyone else in the band/recording. Also, a bunch of the people i worked with were folks i knew personally, so asking them if they had been called in for work is not that difficult either.

It is not a question of better/worse, some of them were more suited for the gig than i was. I was smart enough to put my ego aside though, music has no place for people with an ego, at least not if you want to make a living.

But by all means, don't let me stop your self loathing because people didn't like your pedals.

Cheers.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by guitar/bass95
Really. You have no grasp on music.

Screw you dude ! how the f(x) did you arrived at that conclusion ? Because I enjoy music in a different way than you I don't know anything about it ? piss off.
According to your definition, anyone who wants to play free is not serious.

I will play the way I want, if people have problem they can move on, I am not holding anyone with chains or anything, I would rather play with people who enjoy the music in similar manner as I do.

Your ideal jam will be jamming-on-skype. I didn't ask you to come and join me for a jam, why are you so upset ?
And don't need your career advice either.
Meh I don't really think the problem are you band mates.. By the way from what I've seen the majority of people that obsess over gear can barely play, but hey what do I know.

"It is not a question of better/worse, some of them were more suited for the gig than i was. I was smart enough to put my ego aside though, music has no place for people with an ego, at least not if you want to make a living." - Sickz

Ding! We have a winner. The pedals aren't the issue, being incapable of working with others is.

We're all rapidly coming to the conclusion that you are currently trolling, raging, or both. Either way, tone it WAY down and actually have a mature discussion with the people giving you constructive criticism, lest I close the thread (if 20t isn't already on it) and break out the hammer.

And yes, you didn't want or ask for criticism. But seeing as you at least appear to take your music seriously, you should probably at least consider the possibility of you gimping yourself with the attitude. Because I think I speak for many here when I say that I wouldn't wan't to play with you, and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with gear or volume.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Leenux. Listen. Your band members are idiots, but you are an asshole. Don't be an asshole.
Your band members won't get gigs, but neither will you with that attitude.
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Feb 18, 2015,
Quote by leenux5030
I play it for fun, and I cannot possibly have fun playing at pussy volumes.

Anyways my rant was not about loudness, it was about a general lack of interest among musicians to know more about the gear and other tools of trade.

You should probably expand your own interests to understand sound engineering and how playing disproportionately loud in any given context, even rock!, ruins everyone's enjoyment of the music and makes a band sound like complete shit. This is really basic stuff.
If somebody says you are too loud, then you are most likely too loud (or the others are "too quiet" - but it doesn't really matter, you need to adjust your volume to the others).

It's kind of the same as if you are the only one "in tune" and the others are out of tune when compared to you, but in tune with each other. You are actually the only one that's out of tune. If you are louder than the whole band, you are playing way too loud. Calling it "pussy volume" is just you being immature.

At least try turning it down a bit. Maybe that sounds better. How can you know without trying it?

There's no point in practicing with high volume. Gig is a different thing but band practices shouldn't be too loud. You don't want hearing damage. Or whatever, play as loud as you want, it's your ears. But if you are hurting somebody else's ears, you really need to turn it down.

People have told me to turn down and I have always listened to them. There's no reason for being an ass about it. Communicate, don't be an ass!

Also, you came here asking for help, and I don't really know if you really even deserve to be helped. Listen to the advice you've been given or don't ask for help. It's your choice.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Okey, here is the new news from the jam room:
We jammed yesterday, I had my volume set to the same level as always, master volume 2, clean channel, peavey bandit112.
This time the complaint was about not being able to hear my guitar.
Anyways, you guys suck, I am wrong, you are right, or vice versa. Let's end this thread, it's not going anywhere.
Nah, this is plenty informative in its frozen state.