OK - So I've decided to get a new guitar due to the fact that my metal phase has ended after 2 years and my Ibanez RG just doesn't cut it for the new music and style I'm getting into.

I've really started getting into Arctic Monkeys and especially their older stuff so Fender Strats, JM's, Teles and Gibson/Epiphone Les Pauls, and ES's are right up my alley. For the band I'm in I play a mix between lead and rhythm guitar and we mainly play Arctic Monkeys stuff and other things like it.

I was wondering if you guys had a guitar recommendation for my needs with a budget of £500. At the moment I have my eyes possibly set on a Epiphone Les Paul CUSTOM Pro in Ebony (http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid23424/cid671/epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-in-ebony.asp) and a Fender Standard Stratocaster in Arctic White (http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid10141/cid671/fender-standard-strat-124-arctic-white-124-maple-fretboard.asp).

My amp is a VOX AC30C2X also if that helps.

If you could just give some recommendations, tell me the pro's and con's of the different guitars and maybe even some new suggestions for the type of music I'm looking to play that'd be great thanks.
Last edited by archmister at Feb 17, 2015,
For that stuff I'd buy a tele. I am a metal player so I would personally go for the Blacktop tele, but I can see it working for other genres as well.
It has 2 Humbuckers, so no hiss and all that of the single coils

And if you decide you'll want to return to your metal phase, all it needs is a change of picjups, hell, who know, the pickups there might be good enough for metal as well.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by archmister
I quite like the look of a red tele. Would this suit my needs? http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid9116/cid671/fender-classic-60s-tele-electric-guitar-candy-apple-red-rosewood-neck.asp I could go a little over my budget I guess.

Looks nice, wait for others so they can help you as well.
Oh, and remember, once a metalhead, always a metalhead, who knows, you might not leave us yet.
Fly on, fly on
Alright thanks Yeah I'll wait for other responses. And yeah I'm still into metal just drawing away from it slightly
Metal sucks so it's good you've stopped playing that rubbish. Not that Arctic Monkeys are exactly any better. You should listen to the best music there is, which is country. A bit of Trisha Yearwood would see you right sonny.

Treat yourself to a nice PRS SE like this
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_245_gold_metallic.htm

*This post may have included some trolling
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Metal sucks so it's good you've stopped playing that rubbish. Not that Arctic Monkeys are exactly any better. You should listen to the best music there is, which is country. A bit of Trisha Yearwood would see you right sonny.

Treat yourself to a nice PRS SE like this
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_245_gold_metallic.htm

*This post may have included some trolling

quality b8, i r8/8

Oh shit I didn't see the edit.
Fly on, fly on
With the type of gain you'll be using for the alternative sound you're going for the hiss of single coils won't really matter so much. That red tele would be a good choice. JMs are good too. They still have a good bit of twang and jangle to them...like a tele only cleaner imo. That's one reason why they shine with that style of music. Also, you already have a Strat. What I did when I went out of metal for awhile was mod the crap out of my Strat...throw some different pickups in it and look up some different wiring mods and that may be a hidden gem of your's like I found out mine was.
Yeah I think my top choice at the moment has got to be the Tele. I was thinking about a Jazzmaster but I don't really like the floating trem so I don't think I'm going to go for a JM. Unless you can hardtail the trem on a JM although I've looked around and you apparently can't, only on a strat. Thanks

Also I looked back and I worded my post poorly. But I don't actually have the Strat or Epiphone they were just the two I was possibly looking at. Sorry :P
Last edited by archmister at Feb 17, 2015,
Unless you realy want a "change of look", have you considered a pickup change?

Changing the pickups and adding a coil tap of some sort could easely work.
I was thinking about that although I would also like a change of look but thank you anyway
I would personally recommend a Strat or Tele. You can always make a sound 'dirtier' by use of Distortions/OD's, but it is very difficult to go the other direction, I would avoid the Epi LP.

Why not go the used route? Might be able to get a Gibson Les Paul Classic used. Not sure of your markets used prices
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I think it's got the be the Tele so far. Might check out some Used Gibson Les Paul's now. Many thanks
If you have a local guitar store, go play some guitars for yourself. You need to let your ears and fingers decide which is right for you. Don't base your buying decision off of our suggestions - let your ears decide for you.