Page 1 of 2
I recently met up with an old friend who I hadn't seen for a while. He'd been on holiday in Cambodia for a couple of months building schools and teaching English to kids and stuff. I believe the term for it is voluntourism, anyway. Obviously it was a pretty awesome experience for him getting to live in a completely different culture (coming from Aus) meeting lots of new people and having experiences and shit.

Anyway while he was there he got a tattoo and grew his hair out. He keeps telling me about how amazing it was and how it's changed his perspective on what he wants in life, all that sort of cliched stuff. He says he's gonna take a year off from uni, get a job and keep gigging with his band. (I know it sounds like it's out of a movie but watev)

The reason I'm telling you this is because I'm jealous, not of his life or the trip he's been on, but his ability to just make decisions. To know what he wants to do and then just decide, yep I'm gonna do that now. I feel completely inadequate. while he's out there carpe dieming the **** out of life I'm just plodding along never changing. Like I get so anxious doing new things, meeting new people, even just catching a different bus from the one I normally take. I feel like I've never made a real decision in my life.

Anyway I just needed to get that off my chest, but I'd like to know, has anyone had a similar experience and what do you do to force yourself to live?
If money wasn't the issue, I'd do the same. But unfortunately other people do value money and I have to work in order to keep living

If I was a millionaire, I would do only volunteer work without ever asking for a paycheck.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I have a decision to make right now. losing my job I have 2 options. take my savings and do the exact shit your friend did, or take the safe route, find a new job and work on my future.

I'm thinking of the latter. because having a solid future is more important than having fun by throwing your life on hold for a year.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I have a decision to make right now. losing my job I have 2 options. take my savings and do the exact shit your friend did, or take the safe route, find a new job and work on my future.

I'm thinking of the latter. because having a solid future is more important than having fun by throwing your life on hold for a year.

Investing in experiences is more important than investing in property. I would make a bold decision and go do something crazy. But be productive, not smoke hash in Nepal in some monk community, but something you gain experience by. Before you know it you're old and married and what not and you can't do it anymore and you'll always regret it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Feb 17, 2015,
obviously "living life" doesn't mean throwing away a career and becoming some carefree hippy, you gotta provide for yourself and your family. However theres gotta be some kind of balance between wants and needs and at the moment, I have no idea how to aspire to some goal. Basically having no other purpose than living for the sake of living.
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Investing in experiences is more important than investing in property. I would make a bold decision and go do something crazy. But be productive, not smoke hash in Nepal in some monk community, but something you gain experience by. Before you know it you're old and married and what not and you can't do it anymore and you'll always regret it.

I'm not saying im investing in property. I just refuse to take a leave of absence to have some fun when there's other ways of gaining the "experiece" you're talking about.

I've seen what happened to my father and how he is in debt and in total shit right now. I choose not to let THAT happen to me.
If that means I cant go somewhere for a year, so be it.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by icanhasgodmode

Come back to that when you're 65, and you've been pissing a large proportion of your income into the wind in rent payments, and looking down the barrel of eating supermarket own brand beans on toast until death takes you.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Come back to that when you're 65, and you've been pissing a large proportion of your income into the wind in rent payments, and looking down the barrel of eating supermarket own brand beans on toast until death takes you.

I like beans on toast though
Quote by Gatecrasher53

Anyway I just needed to get that off my chest, but I'd like to know, has anyone had a similar experience and what do you do to force yourself to live?

Yep, I'm the same. I really want to go and travel the world and see things, but there's two reasons stopping me.

1. Lack of funds. Shit costs money andI haven't earned enough to get that kind of money yet.

2. CV black hole. Travelling the world might be cool but I really need to knuckle down and get a career going for long term future.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Gatecrasher53
I like beans on toast though

this indifference will be the end of your life.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yep, I'm the same. I really want to go and travel the world and see things, but there's two reasons stopping me.

1. Lack of funds. Shit costs money andI haven't earned enough to get that kind of money yet.

2. CV black hole. Travelling the world might be cool but I really need to knuckle down and get a career going for long term future.

Why? I think you'll wake up in 30 years and discover you have done **** all with your life. I don't see how working full time is going to make you happy.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why? I think you'll wake up in 30 years and discover you have done **** all with your life. I don't see how working full time is going to make you happy.

So you can get money to fund travelling in your holiday time maybe?

Especially if you have no money, working is the only way to get money. Pretty simple concept Neo.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Especially if you have no money, working is the only way to get money. Pretty simple concept Neo.

+

=

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Not at all m8. You can earn money while travelling. Pretty simple concept Rapture. You can generally work in the hostels to get free stayings, a lot of seasonal work is available especially in places like Australia.

And your holiday time is what... like 2 or 3 weeks. So your life will be working for 95% of the time and then enjoying life for 5%. Great stategy.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Not at all m8. You can earn money while travelling. Pretty simple concept Rapture. You can generally work in the hostels to get free stayings, a lot of seasonal work is available especially in places like Australia.

And your holiday time is what... like 2 or 3 weeks. So your life will be working for 95% of the time and then enjoying life for 5%. Great stategy.

You can't earn much money though. I would like to develop a career so that I can live somewhere nice and own nice things and maybe finance a family in future as opposed to just travelling from place to place and living out of a suitcase...

Quote by EndTheRapture51
You can't earn much money though. I would like to develop a career so that I can live somewhere nice and own nice things and maybe finance a family in future as opposed to just travelling from place to place and living out of a suitcase...

Which is my point. Don't say you need to work just to fund travelling. You want to work cause you are ingrained into the system and will never get that experience TS was talking about.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Which is my point. Don't say you need to work just to fund travelling. You want to work cause you are ingrained into the system and will never get that experience TS was talking about.

TS is just impatient to level up.
Quote by Neo Evil11

okay Neo

Quote by EndTheRapture51
okay Neo

Holy shit you are pathetic.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL3AgkwbYgo

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL3AgkwbYgo

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Rapture's theme song when he realizes how he has wasted his life.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
We are all wasting our life posting on UG

Wake up

Quote by slapsymcdougal
On holiday in Cambodia?

Had he been to school for a year or two, and did he think he'd seen it all?

Couldn't read past that part of OP.

Pol...
Pot...

Pol...
Pot...
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by EndTheRapture51
We are all wasting our life posting on UG

Wake up

It's really odd reading the phrase "wake up" on the internet without the word "sheeple" tagged onto the end, even sarcastically.
when i finish school and pay off my debts im strongly leaning to picking up, moving to an island and living a disconnected, off the grid life

cant wait
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I've seen what happened to my father and how he is in debt and in total shit right now. I choose not to let THAT happen to me.
If that means I cant go somewhere for a year, so be it.

I genuinely understand this and not understand this at the same time.

I guess I don't really know what's important at the moment. When I was younger I was more of the mindset that you should just be happy and have fun, which is understandable coming from a young boy who's had a pretty good life.
But growing up I became less sure of that and was looking for stability and it just became harder and harder to accept that there were always going to be risks and I just became convinced of having to find a way to make it all stable.

And now I'm just completely unsure of what's important. Even though I personally don't believe there's really a point to any of it or that there has to be a point to life, or that there's a right and wrong way to live or anything. But it's also really hard for me to say 'well this is what I need to/want to/am going to do'.
And it results in me just going with the flow and not really understanding anything of what I'm doing.

And to people coming from more difficult backgrounds than me that undoubtedly sounds like a first-world problem or something, and it probably is, but that makes it even harder to realise that there's not really any point to it.

I mean, if there's no point, then what's really the point?

Quote by JamSessionFreak
TIME

This song makes me very sad but is one of my favourite songs, mostly because of how accurate it is.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Feb 17, 2015,
That's true for all of Dark Side of the Moon though. Utterly beautiful but frighteningly true songs. As a concept album it's supposed to be about the pressures they all faced throughout their life and hot fvcking damn did they hit the nail on the head.

Waters' idea was for an album that dealt with things that "make people mad", focusing on the pressures faced by the band during their arduous lifestyle, and dealing with the apparent mental problems suffered by former band member Syd Barrett.

Second best selling album of all time.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
@Rapture

Not saying rob a bank mate but rob a bank.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
A good free way to experience life on the road is train hopping. If you have any backpacking experience and common sense not to get yourself smashed when a freight train catches some slack, freeloading on a train is an exhilarating experience. After highschool I had some cash (not enough to support myself or live comfortably) saved from working crappy part time sandwich shop jobs. I put together a little kit and would hop trains back and forth for a week or two.

It wasn't a lifestyle I would be able to put up with long-term and it can get a tad lonely at times but it's a great way to experience the country from a different perspective.

Just don't fall off when you're hanging off the back of a car trying to pinch a loaf out. Camp cooking and fishing skills are highly recommended.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...-Zappa
Quote by ultimate-slash
I genuinely understand this and not understand this at the same time.

I guess I don't really know what's important at the moment. When I was younger I was more of the mindset that you should just be happy and have fun, which is understandable coming from a young boy who's had a pretty good life.
But growing up I became less sure of that and was looking for stability and it just became harder and harder to accept that there were always going to be risks and I just became convinced of having to find a way to make it all stable.

And now I'm just completely unsure of what's important. Even though I personally don't believe there's really a point to any of it or that there has to be a point to life, or that there's a right and wrong way to live or anything. But it's also really hard for me to say 'well this is what I need to/want to/am going to do'.
And it results in me just going with the flow and not really understanding anything of what I'm doing.

And to people coming from more difficult backgrounds than me that undoubtedly sounds like a first-world problem or something, and it probably is, but that makes it even harder to realise that there's not really any point to it.

I mean, if there's no point, then what's really the point?

Actually it's not a 1rst world problem.
As someone with a harsh background, I can honestly say I'm glad I've always known what I wanted from life.
Well not everything, but I knew what education I wanted, I know what I want to do for a job, I know what I want to do to have fun. I know I have reasonable dreams I can accomplish.

I'm not saying I understand what I'm doing. But I feel like my choices are good ones.

But going with the flow is a great way of living too. So might be having a sabbatical for a year, I wouldn't know.
As you said, there probably isn't a wrong/right way of living (well... Maybe becoming an IS warrior isn't the best thing to do, but whatever floats your boat) but I'm happy with the way I choose to do it.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Woah so extreme dudes. I guess it depends on 1. what you want out of life and 2. what kind of person you are, your temperament/personality.

For myself, I have always been cautious. Even now my recklessness is not completely well, reckless. I like to know the ins and outs of the outcomes of the decisions I make before I make them. I carefully analyse the risk and the potential for loss or gain. But basically my philosophy comes down to "the more risks you take, the more opportunities open up." The trick is to calculate how many risks or what level of risk is worthwhile taking in order to gain an opportunity which MAY lead to gains/goals/whatevs. DOES NOT mean it WILL happen though.

For myself, I have put myself out there and have been working in a lab for 2 years (my dream job, though humble), went to Singapore (on exchange, all expenses paid), have played several times live in a band and solo... other stuff, like meeting amazing people etc but this is not because I am super smart or social or naturally good at this stuff. I just took a few risks and made some sacrifices to be where I want (and I am still getting there).

At the same time, I have saved, I'm living at home, and I'm learning responsibility. So there is balance required.

And no, experience does not have to be a holiday/overseas trip by any means.
^It's all about balance really.
The important thing is making sure you know what you're doing and why you're doing it.
I feel the same way as TS. I don't necessarily want to travel a lot, but I want to get things done. It's very easy to become complacent and stay in one situation out of fear of change.

There are many things that I don't want to do right now, but I have a feeling I'll regret it when I'm older. By the time I recognise the value of forming new relationships and experiences, it'll be too late.
Quote by mind_meld

And no, experience does not have to be a holiday/overseas trip by any means.

this specifically. good for TS's friend that he went on a trip, but there's so many other ways to gain experience.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Actually it's not a 1rst world problem.
As someone with a harsh background, I can honestly say I'm glad I've always known what I wanted from life.
Well not everything, but I knew what education I wanted, I know what I want to do for a job, I know what I want to do to have fun. I know I have reasonable dreams I can accomplish.

I'm not saying I understand what I'm doing. But I feel like my choices are good ones.

But going with the flow is a great way of living too. So might be having a sabbatical for a year, I wouldn't know.
As you said, there probably isn't a wrong/right way of living (well... Maybe becoming an IS warrior isn't the best thing to do, but whatever floats your boat) but I'm happy with the way I choose to do it.

Yeah, perhaps calling it a first world problem isn't exactly right.

What I meant was that some people (a lot of people) have to work hard just to not become homeless and/or die basically.
I'm in the lucky position where I have a caring family I could fall back on and a good education (and I like to think I've got a good enough set of brains to make do in general). I feel that as long as I put a little work in, I'm probably gonna be ok. Everything else to is just finding ways of keeping busy.

I'm happiest when I'm busy. This is mostly due to the fact that when I'm busy I don't have to worry about all these important things that I feel I know **** all about. When I have something to finish, no matter how trivial or meaningless, I can focus on that.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Feb 19, 2015,
Page 1 of 2