So I've got a chance to grab one of these three amps, all for around the same price(200 for the XXX and the VC60, 230 for the VC30). All of them seem to be in good shape, but I figured I'd toss it out there to people, of the three, which one would you grab? I'm in a two-piece grunge/punk band and want something smaller than the head and 212 that I'm rocking right now so I can toss it in the car for smaller gigs and not have to worry. Think bands like White Stripes, Nirvana, Local H, that's along the lines of our sound. Is there a big difference sound or reliability-wise between the VC30 and the VC60? How are the cleans on the XXX?
For those prices, any (or ALL) of those are a good deal.

If size and portability are really your main concerns, the VC30 at 48 pounds is the obvious choice though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
For those prices, any (or ALL) of those are a good deal.

If size and portability are really your main concerns, the VC30 at 48 pounds is the obvious choice though.

I don't know that I'd say that size and portability are my above-all concerns, I think sound and reliability would take it; I'm already getting a big upgrade in size from hiking a full-sized head and 212 cab by grabbing a 112 combo. I'm leaning a little more towards the VC60, because it's got a footswitch and seems to be in pretty pristine condition(unlike the VC30 which has definitely seen some serious use, judging by the pictures), but I have yet to try out a VC60, hence why I'm not sure if the sound is drastically different from its smaller brethren. The XXX is also pretty tempting, I do love almost every Peavey amp I've tried and they're all built like tanks.
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Feb 17, 2015,
The XXX is one hell of an amp and more than capable of delivering very good cleans through heavy distortion. I've never played the other amps before so I can't comment on them.
I've owned a Vintage Club 20 and still have a VC50. The 20 had very little clean headroom and the 50 has tons. No idea about the 30, but you should play it first anyway. Those old amps are prone to having cracked solder joints on the pot and jack connections to the circuit board, which will make the sound volume fluctuate or fade out when they heat up. If you have a soldering iron and some skills you can repair them yourself for free.
I'd take the XXX for sure reliability
Crate has made some great amps, but their build quality wasn't the best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I dont know much about punk tones but XXX is a great amp. Bit pain to tweak due to active EQ but there are a lot of sounds to be had from it (dont forget to toy with the damping switch at the back!). Cleans are decent, crunch is excellent for rock and boosted with an overdrive pedal to metal. And the lead channel is just insane. To be honest its too insane and good for certain things only: I play death metal mostly and in my Bugera's XXX clone have the gain only at 9:30 a clock and its still saturated and compressed to hell, so its my kind of insanity. I guess its better to stick at crunch channel only in your case, unless you have moments you really need that kind of distortion .

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd take the XXX for sure reliability
Crate has made some great amps, but their build quality wasn't the best

+3.1415 to all of this.

peavey builds battleships.

crate not so much.

$200 is a steal on the peavey. i would jump on it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by MaaZeus
(dont forget to toy with the damping switch at the back!).

If you decide to get one, don't overlook this. It can make a difference in your sound.
Peavey all the way. If you are going to really crank the gain I'd also buy a noise gate to put at the FX loop. The XXX can be very noisy/feedbacky
XXX no question.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+3.1415 to all of this.

peavey builds battleships.

crate not so much.

$200 is a steal on the peavey. i would jump on it.

Isn't it a Crate V50 being thrown in the video we've all seen / referenced so many times?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin