Quote by USA Today
NASHVILLE — Six months after rolling out a controversial law to test people for drugs who are applying for public benefits, only 37 of more than 16,000 applicants have tested positive for illegal drugs.

An additional 81 lost their chance to receive financial assistance from the Families First program because they discontinued the application process at some point between the time they were required to fill out a three-item drug-screening questionnaire and completing the application.

also one of the congressmen who supported it tested positive for cocaine
¯\_()_/¯
Wait, so the majority of welfare recipients aren't lazy drug addicts?

Oh my, wouldn't have thought that at all.
Since he does it he probably thinks everybody does it.
Like people that cheat being suspicious of their partners or whatever.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Feb 17, 2015,
obvs this means that drug addicts are deterred from applying so mission accomplished. wake up sheeple

#bringbackthedrugthread #whenwillhashtagsgooutoffashion
Free Ali
Quote by ultimate-slash
Wait, so the majority of welfare recipients aren't lazy drug addicts?

Oh my, wouldn't have thought that at all.

Sorry, made a wrong assumption here. They haven't yet been tested for laziness, so we can't rule that out yet.

Thumbs up, maybe we can finally trick them into admitting they're just scamming the rest of us and get them to do all the work we have lying around.
So we save money on the 118 now? This is a very succesful policy.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Feb 17, 2015,
Nobody wants to give their money to smelly people. Think of the people that have to handle the tainted bills afterwards.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

The various articles I've read are so confusing because they keep jumping from data set to data set. I'm hoping someone can clarify for me. As I understand it: apparently, applicants were given a written questionnaire about drug use. Based on those results, a small number of them were selected for actual drug testing which led to an even smaller number actually testing positive. Is this what happened?

If so, I think you can obviously see the problem with the claim that "only 37 out of 16,000 tested positive." That said, I've seen articles saying that 8% of general public in Tennessee self-reports drug use yet complain that the results are so low when other studies have shown families on government-assistance tend to have slightly higher rates of drug use*. I think the obvious answer to that is: not everyone who uses drugs is going to test positive. Just because 8% of the population admit to using drugs doesn't mean that 8% are going to test positive for drug use. Not to mention the obvious that, if this is indeed how it works, you can just lie on the written questionnaire.

Either way, none of this is really that important because, flawed methodology or not, it's a stupid policy to begin with. The costs outweigh the benefits.

EDIT: Here we go --

Quote by Chattanooga Times Free Press
In 2014, people applying for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits must go through this process:

• All individuals must take a screening test, a written examination with questions geared to detect when a person might be using drugs.

• If the person's answers raise a concern, he or she must pass a urine drug test for five types of illegal narcotics.

• Applicants who fail the urine test must enter a treatment program to retain benefits. Without treatment, these individuals would be ineligible for benefits for six months.

• After treatment, they must pass another urine test to maintain their benefits. Those who fail this test would lose benefits for six months, or up to a year in a repeat offense.

* and be that as it may in some particular study, it's not difficult to reason the opposite and say that people with much less disposable income do fewer drugs due to budgetary constraints. And if someone then points out that poverty leads to higher drug use you say THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT POVERTY YA IDJIT
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Feb 17, 2015,
Yup, anyone with half a brain knows it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Even if most welfare recipients are drug users, the question is: then what? Lock em up? Make em work for free? Don't bother to improve social conditions for the underclasses which might cause drug problems in their communities?

Hate politicians.
as if this failing in Florida already wasn't enough
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Since he does it he probably thinks everybody does it.
Like people that cheat being suspicious of their partners or whatever.

that's called projection, you project your own insecurities onto others
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by deadsmileyface
lol @ drug testing welfare recipients

lol @ drug testing anyone ever except cops

I think doctors should also be drug tested.

To make sure they're taking enough drugs
Quote by Bladez22
that's called projection, you project your own insecurities onto others

Is that why I think everyone is stupid?
Come on guys, think!
There must be a way for us to find an excuse for cancelling that silly 'welfare' thing. What are we missing here? We can't just go on letting these people have the time or their lives while the rest of us work our asses off.

#unemploymentisachoice #disabilityschmishability
Quote by ultimate-slash
Come on guys, think!
There must be a way for us to find an excuse for cancelling that silly 'welfare' thing. What are we missing here? We can't just go on letting these people have the time or their lives while the rest of us work our asses off.

#unemploymentisachoice #disabilityschmishability

Free holidays for welfare claimants!

(Invalid img)

Be sure to visit the communal shower block!
"wow i am so surprised" said no one ever

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car