Page 1 of 2
So I was outside smoking with a friend of mine and he told me he discovered his 16 y/o brother is smoking this particular brand/type of cigarettes.

He then told me he wanted to take his brother's cigarettes and soak them in water, so next time he wouldn't be able to use them.
I asked him why, and he told me it was so that his brother would stop smoking.

I argued that would only piss his brother off, which would in turn make him smoke at least as much to piss him off, and I asked why he even wanted to make his brother stop smoking.

He told me "smoking is bad for one's health, and he's my brother".

Discuss.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yeah, it's not a choice you can make someone make.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Unless his brother it blowing every puff of smoke into his face he has no right to make him stop. And yes destroying the ciggs will just make him angry. I used to try and do that and then I just ended up wasting money having to go buy another pack.
What does his father think?/Would think?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
So your friend smokes but doesn't want his brother smoking?

Hypocrite much?
Quote by So-Cal
So your friend smokes but doesn't want his brother smoking?

Hypocrite much?

not really, that just kinda means he knows better how it can negatively affect one's health.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
The person has to want to stop on their own or 90% of the time they will go back to smoking
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
He then told me he wanted to take his brother's cigarettes and soak them in water, so next time he wouldn't be able to use them.
I asked him why, and he told me it was so that his brother would stop smoking.

lol
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It's too late. The tobacco companies have already got your friend's brother by the balls.

Or I guess the lungs.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I see no problem with him wanting his brother to stop. He's not going to make any progress whatsoever if he also continues to smoke though. Why the hell would his brother listen to him?
Like others have said people need to want to quit on their own or else they never will.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by eGraham
It's too late. The tobacco companies have already got your friend's brother by the balls.

Or I guess the lungs.

Good. Who wants pink lungs anyway? Pink is for pussies
Quote by Wormholes
Good. Who wants pink lungs anyway? Pink is for pussies

I like my lungs like I like my death metal
nobody likes a quiter...
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Well his brother is 16, and in the US it is an offence. I'd tell your buddy to let his parents know. Since he's a minor, if anyone has that power its his parents.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by eGraham

Or I guess the lungs.

they are the balls of the chest

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Well his brother is 16, and in the US it is an offence. I'd tell your buddy to let his parents know. Since he's a minor, if anyone has that power its his parents.

he lives in Italy.
Telling him to stop smoking is like telling everyone to stop masturbating. It ain't gonna happen.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Nothing wrong with wanting a healthy brother, but he's definitely going about it the wrong way if he thinks it's just something that can be discarded.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Instead of soaking his brother's cigs in water, he should get some of those novelty exploding things you hide in someone's cig. I've always wanted to do that. It probably won't make his brother quit, but it would be hilarious.
My grandpa was 61 when he died from emphysema. My dad was 50 when he had a heart attack brought on by COPD and died. My maternal grandma had lung cancer, although it was a cirrhotic liver that killed her. All three were walking smokestacks. I don't even know what the draw is on being a smoker anymore. Restaurants have banned it. Bars are following suit. Public buildings. Many businesses. Smokers are generally not welcomed by anyone besides other smokers.

There are much better ways to piss off your parents than taking up smoking. It isn't -cool- anymore. Just be a brony or an otaku and your dad will be just as disappointed.
Dude, I play bass. I don't get paid for anything past the 4th fret.
They have to want to quit. It's the only way and you can't force it. But... everyone has a currency. What does he want in life? What motivates him? How could being a non-smoker become a path to achieving these goals. Find his currency and use positive motivation. If he chooses to quit in order to achieve his goals it will stick.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
i quit something once

was awful, i wouldn't recommend it
i don't know why i feel so dry
It's a complete waste of time and money and pretty disproportionately damaging to your health considering the reward, but if someone doesn't want to quit it's very hard to make them. Doing crap like that will just annoy them. They need to want to quit.
Quote by rickyvanh
Instead of soaking his brother's cigs in water, he should get some of those novelty exploding things you hide in someone's cig. I've always wanted to do that. It probably won't make his brother quit, but it would be hilarious.

But I can see why he wants his brother to quit even though he smokes himself, he cares for him, knows that his brother can get or is already addicted to them. But I agree, if he really wants to get him to quit he should quit himself, set an example man....why do you think he smokes in the first place?
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by luciferiad
My grandpa was 61 when he died from emphysema. My dad was 50 when he had a heart attack brought on by COPD and died. My maternal grandma had lung cancer, although it was a cirrhotic liver that killed her. All three were walking smokestacks. I don't even know what the draw is on being a smoker anymore. Restaurants have banned it. Bars are following suit. Public buildings. Many businesses. Smokers are generally not welcomed by anyone besides other smokers.

There are much better ways to piss off your parents than taking up smoking. It isn't -cool- anymore. Just be a brony or an otaku and your dad will be just as disappointed.

He could combine the two, Voltron style, and be a brotaku.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
My older brother told me if he ever found out I was doing drugs he was going to beat me to a pulp. And I believed him and never did drugs.

EDIT: Didn't realize the older brother also smokes. Yeah he's not going to have any credibility if he's telling someone to stop smoking while still smoking himself. He needs to follow his own advice before he hands it out to other people. I don't know how it is in Italy, but at least in America, smoking is a huge turn-off to a big portion of the population. If little brother wants to get with girls any time soon he's going to find out that very few people enjoy kissing an ashtray.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Feb 18, 2015,
If he really wants his brother to stop tell him to punch his brother in the face as hard as he can every time he sees him smoke and tell him to say that it hurt a lot less than your lungs bleeding from cancer. Smokers are morons, only a complete idiot would choose to kill themself while thinking that they arent harming you at all. Then you have those who claim they understand the health effeccts but still secretly think they are the exception.
Quote by Eastwinn
i quit something once

was awful, i wouldn't recommend it

yeah

Quote by Most_Triumphant
Quote by vocoderboy
he lives in Italy.
It's still an offense, but I'm guessing my friend would rather not get his brother in trouble even if he wants him to stop smoking.

I'll talk to him about that though.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Smokers are morons, only a complete idiot would choose to kill themself while thinking that they arent harming you at all. Then you have those who claim they understand the health effeccts but still secretly think they are the exception.
Now you're being the one without credibility.

I mean that's a hell of a generalization, don't ya think?

I smoke 'cause I genuinely prefer smoking and having less chance of living a longer life than to likely live a longer life without smoking.
I don't care about my life 'cause I'm breathing, I care about my life 'cause I can do all sorts of shit I like, and while I can do more than breathing while not smoking I like smoking enough for me to be important in the equation.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 18, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
It's still an offense, but I'm guessing my friend would rather not get his brother in trouble even if he wants him to stop smoking.

I'll talk to him about that though.
Now you're being the one without credibility.

I mean that's a hell of a generalization, don't ya think?

I smoke 'cause I genuinely prefer smoking and having less chance of living a longer life than to likely live a longer life without smoking.
I don't care about my life 'cause I'm breathing, I care about my life 'cause I can do all sorts of shit I like, and while I can do more than breathing while not smoking I like smoking enough for me to be important in the equation.

It's not a generalization at all. You smoke cigarettes, no matter how many, no matter how many more others smoke, no matter how many less others smoke, if you smoke cigarettes you will die way before you want to die. It is a delayed suicide, and it should be treated like suicide. But you can do whatever you want with your life, I dont judge you for wanting to kill yourself, but if you actually think you arent committing suicide then youre stupid.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
if you smoke cigarettes you will die way before you want to die.

Do I even need to try and explain to you how this is such an absurd statement?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
It's not a generalization at all. You smoke cigarettes, no matter how many, no matter how many more others smoke, no matter how many less others smoke, if you smoke cigarettes you will die way before you want to die. It is a delayed suicide, and it should be treated like suicide. But you can do whatever you want with your life, I dont judge you for wanting to kill yourself, but if you actually think you arent committing suicide then youre stupid.
Smoking is bad for health, it takes up space in the lungs, it makes a lot of mucus accumulate in the back of your throat, and it raises the possibilities of getting cancer.

Also being involved in a car crash with a guy who drank too much and decided to go home by car anyway can kill you, and being shot by some random guy wondering around the street with a gun 'cause he's angry with the world can kill you as well, so going to whatever place by car and even exiting from your house raise the possibility of you dying "prematurely".

That to say, smoking definitely raises the chances of dying prematurely, but to call it a suicide in a context like that is about as drastic as saying that walking your dog at night is a suicide.

Also if you have reasons not to want to die then it will always be to soon.
Let's not also get philosophical here.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Wormholes
Do I even need to try and explain to you how this is such an absurd statement?

No because you are assuming that I am not aware that you already want to die, which is why you smoke cigarettes. So i suppose you are dying right when you want to die, but you arent cuz it wont kill you till youre 60, so youre just cutting off 50 years of your life. It's not that bad I guess. You might as well go have fun, and smoke weed instead

edit:
I understand what you mean. I see smoking cigarettes every day as equal to eating mcdonalds for every meal every day of your life. It is a delayed inevitable suicide.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 18, 2015,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
So i suppose you are dying right when you want to die, but you arent cuz it wont kill you till youre 60, so youre just cutting off 50 years of your life. It's not that bad I guess. You might as well go have fun, and smoke weed instead
You should really consider taking a break and thinking about what you're writing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
You should really consider taking a break and thinking about what you're writing.

I know that what I am saying is the truth and people cant handle it sometimes. People that smoke cigarettes need to fill a void in their soul. They have all of these emotions they cant handle so they smoke cigarettes instead. They are 100% aware that it is a delayed suicide. They are 100% aware that it kills more people on the planet than mosquitoes. They are 100% sure it wont happen to them. It will, and you will die from liver failure, lung failure, heart failure, so many things can and will happen. Some people think e-cigs are better for you. They arent, and actually contain more chemicals than normal cigs. They will all die too. Everyone smoking shit will die, except weed, because weed wont kill you, try and prove me wrong, try really hard, as hard as you can, or just accept that what I am saying is true.

edit:
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, imposing a terrible toll in health, lives and dollars on families, businesses and government. Tobacco kills 480,000 people annually – more than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.

Where did I go wrong again? Sorry to hurt your guy's feelings, but cigarettes are very dangerous. It is suicide
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 18, 2015,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I know that what I am saying is the truth and people cant handle it sometimes. People that smoke cigarettes need to fill a void in their soul. They have all of these emotions they cant handle so they smoke cigarettes instead.
If you say so.
What's the point of that again?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
It will, and you will die from liver failure, lung failure, heart failure, so many things can and will happen.
First time I hear somebody claiming cigarettes cause liver failure.
Man you learn amazing new stuff everyday browsing this website.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Everyone will die
FTFY
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
except weed, because weed wont kill you
The main reason why cigarettes are harmful (to the throat, lungs and heart) is the smoke that goes into your throat and lungs, and that happens with pre-made cigarettes, hand rolled cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, and also weed.

So weed is a bit less harmful than tobacco 'cause it doesn't contain nicotine, but it's still just about as bad for health.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Page 1 of 2