Hellow fellow guys on ultimateGuitar!
I've come across a strange issue I think I've never had with all these years of playing.
On one of my guitars, on the 1st string, whenever I play the 11th fret, it will always start the note good and then (after 0.3~0.5 seconds aprox) fade into a harmonic type of note (it just rings as if it was the 11th fret octave harmonic). The weird thing is that this only happens on the 11th fret of the 1st string.
Could it be a problem related to the string (I don't think it's that old yet to show problems), or maybe the fret itself?
Has someone come across this too?
Give me your thoughts please, as this is making me perplex
Thank you guys!
Last edited by markkus_666 at Feb 17, 2015,
1. How loud are you playing and how close to the amp are you?
2. Have you checked the frets further up the board to see if any of them are touching the string when you're fretting the 11th?
3. Does it happen when you're not playing through the amp?

It's pretty normal for a feedback loop to form if your guitar is close enough to the amp or the amp is fairly loud. Some notes do it better than others depending on the room, etc. When this happens, the harmonic most likely to be formed is the octave harmonic of the note you're playing.
Thanks dspellman but I don't think its related to any feedback issues, because I can hear it on clean amp settings, at low volumes and even with the guitar unplugged.
I'll check the upper frets, but I think this shouldn't be the cause because its only happening at fret 11 of 1st string.
Thanks anyway! Other thoughts on the issue will be welcome!
you may have a dead fret spot. sometimes certain parts of the neck have a dead spot where the note doesn't sound very well and does kida what you said. you may have to have s tech look at it and perhaps level the fret in that spot
Quote by monwobobbo
you may have a dead fret spot. sometimes certain parts of the neck have a dead spot where the note doesn't sound very well and does kida what you said. you may have to have s tech look at it and perhaps level the fret in that spot

Monwobobbo, you mean that fret 12 is slightly higher and then making the string skim when fretting at 11?
Quote by markkus_666
Monwobobbo, you mean that fret 12 is slightly higher and then making the string skim when fretting at 11?

that could be possible could be at 11th as well. there are other reasons for a dead spot on a neck but i don't remeber them off the top of my head.
Pull the string to the side and look at the fret. Do you see a groove under the string? That would cause the string to vibrate lightly against the next fret up, possibly causing this. The only time I've seen anything similar is my Takamine, which will sometimes keep ringing the open B string after I mute it. The note resonates in the guitar body and keeps going a little. Your problem sounds a little different, like it's touching a string against a fret, if it touches very lightly it could sound a bit like a harmonic.

Then get a good straight edge only a couple of inches long, you want it only long enough to sit on the fret in question and the ones in front of and in back of it, 3 frets total. Something like a deep well socket, slide bar or Zippo lighter but it must be straight. See if it rocks slightly back and forth when you set it on top of that fret. That would mean you have a high fret. Figure out which one by moving it up and down one fret at a time. If a fret is not high it should sit flat on top of all 3 frets and not wobble.

If it's a high fret, sometimes you can get a wooden dowel and tap down on the fret LIGHTLY to seat it better, if that doesn't work it will need to be filed a little and re crowned.

If it's a fret groove, check your other frets all the way down the neck, I bet you have others, but not deep enough yet to cause fret buzz. That means all the frets need to be leveled (filed down) and re crowned. I've had to do several of my guitars, I'll probably only get one more time out of my Strat before I have to replace the frets entirely. I wear grooves in the frets after a couple of years of playing. Not unusual, everybody eventually wears grooves in the frets, how long it takes depends on how much you play the guitar. When I was playing 5 nights a week, 4 to 6 hours a night it only took about a year. If you only play an hour or two a day it might take 3 or 4 years, but it will happen over time.

I need to take some more pictures, I was going to post one and remembered Photobucket just decided I don't exist any more...along with all my pictures...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Pull the string to the side and look at the fret. Do you see a groove under the string? That would cause the string to vibrate lightly against the next fret up, possibly causing this. The only time I've seen anything similar is my Takamine, which will sometimes keep ringing the open B string after I mute it. The note resonates in the guitar body and keeps going a little. Your problem sounds a little different, like it's touching a string against a fret, if it touches very lightly it could sound a bit like a harmonic.

Then get a good straight edge only a couple of inches long, you want it only long enough to sit on the fret in question and the ones in front of and in back of it, 3 frets total. Something like a deep well socket, slide bar or Zippo lighter but it must be straight. See if it rocks slightly back and forth when you set it on top of that fret. That would mean you have a high fret. Figure out which one by moving it up and down one fret at a time. If a fret is not high it should sit flat on top of all 3 frets and not wobble.

If it's a high fret, sometimes you can get a wooden dowel and tap down on the fret LIGHTLY to seat it better, if that doesn't work it will need to be filed a little and re crowned.

If it's a fret groove, check your other frets all the way down the neck, I bet you have others, but not deep enough yet to cause fret buzz. That means all the frets need to be leveled (filed down) and re crowned. I've had to do several of my guitars, I'll probably only get one more time out of my Strat before I have to replace the frets entirely. I wear grooves in the frets after a couple of years of playing. Not unusual, everybody eventually wears grooves in the frets, how long it takes depends on how much you play the guitar. When I was playing 5 nights a week, 4 to 6 hours a night it only took about a year. If you only play an hour or two a day it might take 3 or 4 years, but it will happen over time.

I need to take some more pictures, I was going to post one and remembered Photobucket just decided I don't exist any more...along with all my pictures...

Thank you for your input!
I'm planning on building a bunch of homemade luthier tools (a fret-rocker included ). Probably tomorrow I'll get the time to go downtown and get a precision fret-rocker made for 50 cents at the locksmith. Then I'll carefully inspect if it's a popped-out or worn fret (thought I don't recall any heavy wear nor grooving). If I don't find any problems I just hope changing strings will get the problem away.
I'll update when I get the time to do the inspection, thank all of you again!
Last edited by markkus_666 at Feb 17, 2015,
Hmmm...I forgot it was called a fret rocker...getting old sucks...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...