Page 1 of 4
Hey Pit, I've started learning how to drive recently, and it's going ok..

Apart from the fact that I never have a f*cking clue as to where objects are in regards to the car. Specifically, the non steering wheel side (the right side, in Italy)

So, when I'm in the road, I always tend to be too close to the middle, because I'm worried I'm always to close to the other side when in fact there might be a metre.

Or, if I have to drive in between a car and a wall (happened today) on a very tight road, I nearly clipped the car (which was on my side) because I thought I was too close to the wall. So I went very close to the car..when in fact , according to the instructor, there was more than enough space on the other side.

I just can't f*cking see it. How the f*ck do you see it? People say pracise but it's done jack sh*t for me so far.

I just can't f*cking tell how close things are from the passenger side of the car. And it's annoying.

Does anyone have any trick which could help out, while driving?

And I can't practise half as much as I would like because the laws in this stupid country make it damn near impossible, unless you have parents who have a hell of a load free time.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Are you asian or a woman or somethin?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Hug the side with no cars you noob. And there's a thing called a side mirror. Look at it. If you can't see the yellow line, move the **** over.
My drive trainer taught me to focus on the space I wanted to go, not where I didn't. When you are looking at the road or the space or whatever it may be, you will probably naturally steer that way. As soon as you focus on the lines or the wall etc, you are more likely to veer and possibly hit something on the side. something like that, anyway. As far as spatial awareness, maybe go somewhere like a deserted carpark and set up boxes and practice driving/parking next to them. See how far off you are or how close. This way you can learn what the 'space' will look like.

(I feel like I've somehow replicated weird spam because my thoughts seem all over the shot.)
I've been driving for 6 or 7 years now and have still never learned that ability, you're likely to never pick it up tbh. I just hug the drivers side everywhere I go since I can tell perfectly well how close I am to the line.
If you JUST started, it's gonna take awhile to adapt. Learning while you're younger helps cause it sticks with you.

Or try a motorcycle, you'll learn real fast. (Or die)
Check your side mirrors and keep your eyes in front of you. Don't look down on the road, that'll mess you up.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
My driving instructor taught me to set up references in the car.
For example, I know I'm the right distance for pulling up to the curb when the curb looks like its leading into a certain part of my wiper blades. If the drivers side of the windscreen appears to be over the line dividing lanes, I'm too close to the centre. I'm not over the give way line if it appears to be under the wing mirror. The easiest way to have a look is to pull up to a quiet junction in some side roads, get out of the car and look around it to see how far away from things you are like the give way line and the curb. Then try and match it up with items inside.

Also, when in doubt, just go slow and check your wing mirrors frequently, you should be able to see down the line of your car clearly in them.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Feb 17, 2015,
I picked it up really quickly tbh. Just practice, practice, practice. Though I guess not everyone does, since the majority of people are ****ing abysmal drivers

Hopefully you're not part of that group, lol
I'm horrified like, every day of scraping cars backing out of spaces and stuff lol, I don't get it either really although I've been good so far just being super careful. Yesterday though I was almost trapped because everybody parked weird due to snow covering the lines and the person behind me parked super far up. Took me like 2 minutes to get out
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
You get used to it.

Unless of course you have some problems visually with spatial stuff as is, then you might have to consult an instructor specifically for that.

But otherwise you will eventually learn the dimensions of your vehicle and you will be able to cut very close to things and not even think about it. I've learned the width and length of my truck pretty well over the 7 years of driving it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Just don't drive. It is what I do. Then I will never found out if I am a crappy driver or not. Public transport is good here so **** it. Not going to spend thousands of euros getting a license for an item that I can't afford nor want.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
You guys have to pay thousands to get your license? That blows

I think my permit cost $10
Quote by OddOneOut
For example, I know I'm the right distance for pulling up to the curb when the curb looks like its leading into a certain part of my wiper blades. If the drivers side of the windscreen appears to be over the line dividing lanes, I'm too close to the centre. I'm not over the give way line if it appears to be under the wing mirror. The easiest way to have a look is to pull up to a quiet junction in some side roads, get out of the car and look around it to see how far away from things you are like the give way line and the curb. Then try and match it up with items inside.

Also, when in doubt, just go slow and check your wing mirrors frequently, you should be able to see down the line of your car clearly in them.

This would've been some useful shit when I was learning to drive. Practice does it too yeah but I got pretty close to scraping my car a few times when I did it the old-fashioned way, visual refferences would've been appreciated

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
"My drive trainer taught me to focus on the space I wanted to go, not where I didn't. When you are looking at the road or the space or whatever it may be, you will probably naturally steer that way. As soon as you focus on the lines or the wall etc, you are more likely to veer and possibly hit something on the side."

That's actually how I learned. After a while you get used to it. I was taught to not worry
about the cars beside you for now. As long as your driver/seat was aligned close to the middle of the road, I shouldn't have to worry about hitting cars that are parked on my right.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Quote by WCPhils
You guys have to pay thousands to get your license? That blows

I think my permit cost $10

If you succeed in one go your lessons + license cost 1750-2500. But most people don't succeed in one go cause we have more difficult exams than 'mericans.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
there's no way in hell you have to pay a thousand bucks just for learning to drive and taking the exam. is there?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
there's no way in hell you have to pay a thousand bucks just for learning to drive and taking the exam. is there?

Lessons cost 30-50 euros per hour. Exam costs 250.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by OddOneOut

Doesn't work for all cars and if you have to drive a different car the reference points will be different. Although it is good for getting people through the test.
Big difference with America is also that we don't have learner's permits. So all your learning must be done in the lessons which are expensive as ****.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Except ya dont have to take lessons. My pa did it the good ol fashion american way.

Put me in the driver seat and threatened to beat me if i crashed.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Except ya dont have to take lessons. My pa did it the good ol fashion american way.

Except for the fact that you do need lessons? letting someone drive who doesn't have a license is a gross violation of the law and if caught you get a hefty fine.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
If you succeed in one go your lessons + license cost 1750-2500. But most people don't succeed in one go cause we have more difficult exams than 'mericans.

Yea, I paid $10 for a learners permit, my dad took me driving for a couple weeks, and then the test (which if it cost anything, wasn't higher than $20) was to parallel park and drive around a parking lot. Boom, license
Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Neo Evil11
Except for the fact that you do need lessons? letting someone drive who doesn't have a license is a gross violation of the law and if caught you get a hefty fine.

Read a book to study for permit test
Take test to get permit
Practice driving with parent/guardian while having permit
~6 months later~
Take driving test
Tada license
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, I paid $10 for a learners permit, my dad took me driving for a couple weeks, and then the test (which if it cost anything, wasn't higher than $20) was to parallel park and drive around a parking lot. Boom, license

Like I said, we are not allowed to do that here. We don't have learner's permits. So all the learning takes place in lessons that cost 30-50 euros per hour. Once you are "done" with those you get the exam which costs 250 euros. But most people need 2 or 3 takes cause the examiners are bitches.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by angusfan16
Read a book to get permit
Take test to get permit
Practice driving with parent/guardian while having permit
~6 months later~
Take driving test
Tada license

There is the problem. We don't have that step. There is no such permit.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I forgot to ask if you were elderly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV0k79Lc7c8

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Neo Evil11
Lessons cost 30-50 euros per hour. Exam costs 250.

jfc that's cray

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Like I said, we are not allowed to do that here. We don't have learner's permits. So all the learning takes place in lessons that cost 30-50 euros per hour. Once you are "done" with those you get the exam which costs 250 euros. But most people need 2 or 3 takes cause the examiners are bitches.

No wonder you guys are so into bicycles.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Actually, Neo, I fully support that. At least 50% of the drivers in the DC metro area do not deserve to drive. They should just stick to riding tricycles.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^ from which side? >.>

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I've been driving for 6 or 7 years now and have still never learned that ability, you're likely to never pick it up tbh. I just hug the drivers side everywhere I go since I can tell perfectly well how close I am to the line.

Yeah this, except only 5 years. I'm trying to correct that though. Same with the back of the car when parking.
Quote by Neo Evil11
letting someone drive who doesn't have a license is a gross violation of the law and if caught you get a hefty fine.

lol I wouldn't have guessed you were so innocent

I learned how to drive when I was 14 going down one of the worst roads in this state
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
lol I wouldn't have guessed you were so innocent

I learned how to drive when I was 14 going down one of the worst roads in this state

Different cultures innit
Page 1 of 4