I've been using a PODHD500x for a little while mostly with headphones and was wondering since it has a balanced and unbalanced outputs if I could use these to output to a pair of studio monitors and still get a live like tone. I'm fairly new to amp modeling. Thanks.

If this will work what monitors would you recommend?
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Last edited by EntropicDiscord at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók

Those will work. Just remember that those monitors have very small speakers. You can also go on Craigslist and buy an old school stereo system cheap. That may sound weird but there is really not a big difference between a powered monitor like those and a stereo when it comes to reproducing the sound of a guitar with modeling.
I'm using a Pod with a pair of KRK Rokit 8's.

The size of the low frequency speaker in these has more to do with the overall volume than with the quality of the output -- the Rokit 5's with their 5" speakers will reproduce lower bass than most guitar amps

In fact, you might look around for a good pair of used Gen 2 Rokit 8's. These are the previous generation of Rokit 8's (the Gen 3's are less than a year old) and sound pretty much identical to the newer models. A minty pair of Gen 2 Rokit 8's should cost you about the same as a new set of Rokit 5's. They sold the Gen 2's at around $125 each when they were clearing inventory.
Quote by fly135
Those will work. Just remember that those monitors have very small speakers. You can also go on Craigslist and buy an old school stereo system cheap. That may sound weird but there is really not a big difference between a powered monitor like those and a stereo when it comes to reproducing the sound of a guitar with modeling.

Monitors will keep sound closest to the "studio", HiFi system will alter your sound.
I agree with the above comment. There is a major difference between speakers designed for home stereos and studio monitors as well as stereo amps. Both are designed to reproduce music that is already mixed and limited (compressed/limited) so they do not have the same resistance to peak signals that will blow stereo speakers and amps. A 100 watt stereo amp is not designed the same as an guitar amp or a power amp for PA use. Those amps are designed to survive spikes of feedback and occasional audio power surges. Home stereos will fry (or hopefully just blow a fuse). Same for home stereo speakers. There is a difference in design and construction (as well as cost).
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
And as we all know Rock and Rollers have shunned stereo systems for studio monitors for decades. Stereo systems are only for listening to Polka.

In all seriousness there is nothing that alters your sound more than a multifx. We aren't talking about mixing your next big hit.
Quote by t1mman
Monitors will keep sound closest to the "studio", HiFi system will alter your sound.
A pair of KRK rp's will alter the sound more than whatever hi-fi system.

Yeah TS, studio monitors would work.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Rickholly74
A 100 watt stereo amp is not designed the same as an guitar amp or a power amp for PA use. Those amps are designed to survive spikes of feedback and occasional audio power surges. Home stereos will fry (or hopefully just blow a fuse). Same for home stereo speakers. There is a difference in design and construction (as well as cost).
The is a bit of truth in what you say, but I am not suggesting he use a stereo as a PA in a gig, nor am I saying that a stereo is better than a PA. I have 3 different stereos that I play my guitar through. None of them have suffered any damage of the kind you described. My advice is meant to be appropriate for someone playing in their home at reasonable levels, who wants an economical alternative that works pretty well. I.E the kind of levels you can expect the monitors he linked to perform well at.

If you want to blast a hole through the wall then get a guitar amp or a real PA.
would a subwoofer be necessary?
Quote by Charles Ives

Quote by Béla Bartók