I bought an epiphone aj-220sce and i'm looking for an upgrade. I've heard that martin makes great guitars so I made a research and found these two guitars:

martin dx1kae - $550 dollars
martin GPCPA5K - $800 dollars

i've read specifications on both guitars and both are made from the same wood, they are pretty much identical but the gpcpa5k is more expensive, why ?

which one would you recommend me to buy ?
One of the major differences I noticed right away was the cutaway on the GPCPA5K. I assume that is partially the reason for the price increase.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Quote by NougatOfficial
One of the major differences I noticed right away was the cutaway on the GPCPA5K. I assume that is partially the reason for the price increase.

So which one would you buy? I've heard some people don't like cutaways
I would probably go with the cutaway but that's only because the acoustic I have now doesn't have one.

I can't think of a reason as to why people don't like cutaways. Maybe they believe it will effect the sound or volume of the guitar? Either way I think you just have to ask yourself how often you use that area on the fretboard. Do you play down there a lot with the guitar you currently have?
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Martin X guitars (any guitar with an X in the model) aren't made in the US. Other Martin guitars are made in the US. The overseas factory and the US factory have different standards by which they make the guitars and the reason that the GPCPA5K is made to a higher quality standard than the DX1KAE, and that guitars made in America tend to be more expensive.
Free Ali
Free Lard
the big question - what is it you don't like about your current guitar? knowing those things would make it possible to recommend guitars that don't have those issues.

personally i wouldn't buy either as i don't care for the tone in either case, possibly partly because of the HPL back and sides, but honestly these particular guitars don't entirely have the martin sound. there are martins i really love the sound of, but they are all solid, and for your price range other brands give better value and there are some that sound great. and different brands, bracing, sizes and woods mean different tones, so even within a single brand, there can be lots of variety.

if you want to go with a martin, try the 1 series or a used 16 series model. but martin, while they do make some wonderful guitars, is far from the only brand that has great guitars.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Feb 17, 2015,
Quote by racsolx5
So which one would you buy? I've heard some people don't like cutaways
FWIW, I have no idea why that would factor into your decision.