Which is the best flamenco guitar tuition dvd available? I'm a noob to it but i have a classical guitar. will that be enough to play flamenco on or do i need a specific guitar?
I have absolutely no clue on the DVD.

However, guitars designed for percussive Flamenco, do have a tap plate or, "golpeador", on the top to prevent damage.

I suppose, (although this is just a guess), if you do want to practice percussive style, the lamest, laminate topped, cheapest beginners guitar you could find, might be your best option. Plus, I'd even put a tap plate on that.
Quote by Captaincranky
I have absolutely no clue on the DVD.

However, guitars designed for percussive Flamenco, do have a tap plate or, "golpeador", on the top to prevent damage.

I suppose, (although this is just a guess), if you do want to practice percussive style, the lamest, laminate topped, cheapest beginners guitar you could find, might be your best option. Plus, I'd even put a tap plate on that.

thats what i wa considering ! im not exactly flush with money.
I would suggest to head over to YouTube and check out Rodrigo y Gabriella. Last time I searched for them, there was quite a bit of footage, concerts, songs, and whatnot.

Depends how you take them. Watching them could be inspiration, or it could be frustration.

At very least, it might pound some Flamenco rhythms into your subconscious.
I can wholeheartedly recommend Gerhard Graf-Martinez books and DVDs, a classical guitar generally does the trick. Though the tone and feel of one is somewhat different, you'll manage for now.

A piece of advice would indeed be to stick a golpeador on it though, because you'll smack through the top before you know it, a simple see-through bit of plastic about half a millimeter's thick generally works. But be sure to cut it larger than you assume you'll need at first, as one tends to be sloppy and miss the golpeador altogether when learning.

Aside from that, Gabriella herself has admitted that while she borrowed some techniques, their music has no relation at all with Flamenco. If you've any more questions, assuming this subject is still relevant to begin with, feel free to ask.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
You'll be fine on a regular classical. Rodrigo Y Gabriela are amazing, especially Gabriela, who's rhythm approach is incredible, but they are not flamenco proper - more of a metal infused version of that ( as mentioned above).

The absolute king of flamenco guitar is Paco Delucia - he's in a class of his own and is probably the most technically proficient guitarist in history.

You should start with some basic classical guitar instruction - getting a teacher for at least a few lessons is really a good idea. Bad habits come easy in fingerstyle guitar and you could easily waste a lot of time developing bad habits.
Juan Martin's Instructional DVD and Booklet, hands down.
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Solo-Flamenco-Guitar-Martin/dp/0786664584

Also, it's not necessary to have a flamenco guitar - a classical guitar will suffice. The only drawback realistically when playing flamenco on a classical guitar is less punch and slightly less clarity when playing ultra-fast stuff, which, if you're a beginner, you shouldn't need to worry about. Good luck
Last edited by NobarKing at May 16, 2015,