I'm about to run into some free time, and I've been kicking around the idea of making my own pedals as a hobby. I currently don't use any pedals or effects so I don't know if that matters.

Anyways, my question is; who puts out the best 'kit'. I've seen Build Your Own Clone on here a few times, are they the best? I've seen other guys too though, PuzzleSounds, DIY Kit Mods has an ad on PG I think.

So how about? You guys have any experience with these or other manufacturers?
I've biult several BYOC pedals, no problem. My mate, a qualified electronics engineer and amp technician, likes General Guitar Gadgets. I just had a quick look, they are a lot cheaper than BYOC, but the instructions don't seem quite so user friendly. Also, there is no user forum that I can find, which BYOC has.
I've seen some on ebay in Greece or Israel but didn't look too much into it, you can also convert most classic pedals like the rangemaster pedal which was popular in the 70s to an onboard guitar distortion if you got the space for a 9v. But of course you've got to be really sure how to plan it out on a breadboard or printed circuit.
Quote by Tony Done
I've biult several BYOC pedals, no problem. My mate, a qualified electronics engineer and amp technician, likes General Guitar Gadgets. I just had a quick look, they are a lot cheaper than BYOC, but the instructions don't seem quite so user friendly. Also, there is no user forum that I can find, which BYOC has.

Yeah BYOC is a bit pricey, but that's okay. I haven't heard of General Guitar Gadgets. Does your friend prefer them over BYOC? Like..are the parts superior in any way?

Also with BYOC, did you buy one of their kits? Soldering station an all? Or did you already have those tools?
^^^^ Being in the trade, he is very confident about his builds, and just wanted the best value for money in terms of parts. - He also knows enough to do his own modding if there are parts of the circuit he doesn't like. Us more ignorant mortals might want a bit more support than he needs.

I daydream had the soldering station, as I do a lot of messing about with guitar circuits. - An inexpensive 40w with variable temperature and a tinned iron bit. Small enough for PCB circuits, big enough to solder earth wires onto most tone and volume pots. I have bigger ones for heavier jobs.
^I'm sorry, your last paragraph kindof threw me off. Are you saying you already had some soldering equipment? I'm leaning heavily to BYOC, I just don't know if I should get the whole beginners kit or buy the tools separately.
Here's a very good site with a forum inhabited by some great techs, look in the "Guitar Effects" section. I haven't done much looking around in that section, I mostly keep an eye on the guitar tech one, but these are some very knowledgeable folks, many of them professional electronics techs and amp/effects builders for years.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/forum.php

They also have forums oriented around pickup building, amp building, amp repair and so forth.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I've heard lots of good things about BYOC, but I personally like General Guitar Gadgets. I've always just bought the PCBs, though, and not the kits because I prefer to get the components and enclosures from my supplier. I don't buy from them anymore because I would rather design my own PCB that's customized to fit my layouts and modifications, but I've always had good results and would recommend them (still nothing against BYOC, this is just my personal preference). As far as instructions go, all you really need is the diagram on the site that shows where to wire everything.

Something else I would recommend, since you're just starting, is to get a soldering iron kit (like this one: Elenco learn to solder kit ) so that you get some practice learning to solder before you try building a pedal. Doing that may save you some grief later on... at least it did for me .

What kind of pedal are you thinking about building?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks you guys for all your advice an help. I'm definitely going to grab the amerikit to get the hang of soldering; I'm probably just going to end up buying one of the BYOC kits so that way I know I have everything for 'that' pedal. What pedal I want is still yet to be determined lol. I'll probably just pick out a fuzz pedal, I've read that those are pretty simple enough.
theres also the option of modkitsdiy.com

they are just about as pricey as BYOC and have some decent instructions which you can view before buying.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Yeah, I've seen Mod Kits advertised on premier guitars website. I still think BYOC is a good deal considering the 'starter' package.

I feel like I'll go with them first an try the others out as I get better. Again, thank you guys for your insight an help.