Hi all,

For the past year I've gone into singing, having done nothing of the sort previously (except for in the car ), mainly because my brother's band needed a singer/rythm guitar player. I think my singing is ok, but have reached a point now where I don't know how to improve it any further. Any tips on techniques/excercises that could take my singing up a notch?

If you want to have a listen, the band is called Goodnight Irene, and the album Among these Perfect Souls. You'll find us on Spotify!

Or YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJPmGIomZ50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PToh1QqPy5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ZEnXXv7TY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxA_9pBQJkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a17CQOfezRg
Last edited by vidar.tornes at Feb 23, 2015,
Links are not working for me.
What style are your vocals?
Anyway, you can practice many things, for example:
- Extending your vocal range (highs and lows)
- Using different vocal regions (chest, head, falsetto)
- Learning new vocal techniques
- Expressing your emotions better
- Make sure every word you sing is understandable
Ah, links fixed!

Singing style is gurngy I suppose, in the Chris Cornell/Lane Stacey vein. Thanks for the general tips!
I'd always suggest just getting a teacher. Even if you just go to lessons for a month and record them you'll have a good starting point and can work on whatever they tell you for a while. Any of those things like Brett Manning's Singing Success have good scales to practice with. Singing along with stuff like that can feel really strange at first but it really does work.
I also find the tips here http://www.dummies.com/how-to/music-creative-arts/music/Singing.html good for people who have never had lessons.
Your voice seems quite good naturally though so I'd just concentrate on doing exercises regularly and strengthening what you have
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
The links still don't work for me. "Video is not available"

But yeah. Something like Brett Mannings Singing Success is pretty good. Singing scales can really help. Even if it's as little as having a daily vocal warmup routine that you run through every day and before any performances will help you a lot.

There are of course many exercises developed to improve specific areas of the voice (tone, technique, range, diction, bridges, vibrato, pitch control, breath control, runs & licks etc). Finding weak areas of your voice and knowing what to practice to get the most improvement is where a teacher is invaluable.

The singing courses like Singing Success provide a full programme to really develop your voice from the ground up. They are a distant second to a real singing teacher as they can't give you the feedback that a teacher can give you. Even courses that offer software that (with a microphone) will give you feedback on your singing are not all that much better as though they can tell you that you might be doing something wrong they can't tell you what specifically you are doing wrong and what you need to do to do it better.

Books websites and youtube are great resources to be used in conjunction with the above two methods. You can find some excellent tips, exercises, and advice that may not be covered by your teacher or in the particular course you have. But on their own they are fairly incomplete. However, you might find some breathing exercises and/or daily warmup routines and scales free online that you can get started with while you look for a good teacher or research and save up for the course you want.
Si
The two courses I used to develop my voice were Brett Mannings Singing Success, which is absolutely perfect. Even without having someone watch you and listen, he explains things so well you literally cant get it wrong. The training exercises just kinda force you to do things correctly.

The other course is the Relative Pitch Ear Training Supercourse. While this doesn't really teach you to sing, it will massively improve your listening skills, the ability to create melodies in your head, identifying intervals, and total mastery of your ears.

Music can ONLY be perceived by our ears. We can't taste or see or touch music. Training your ear is the #1 most important skill for musicians and yet it is often completely neglected. Especially by guitar players lol I have no idea why.. Probably because it is embarassing to sing? Or perhaps they believe that learning to 'sing' will not affect their guitar playing. It does. For all you guitar players reading this - wouldn't you like to be able to think up a melody in your mind and then immediately play it on the guitar?

Anyway, I love it. My voice sounds freaking awesome. I sing like all day every day nonstop and my musical creativity has exploded exponentially since I started practicing ear training several years ago.

Go for it dude, all you need is those 2 courses and you're set.
Did you get through the whole of the Relative Pitch course? I've seen a lot of people that have got the course but never made it all the way through. It's pretty massive isn't it?
Si
Thanks for advice guys, I'll certainly have a closer look at the Singing Success course.

And if anyone can't open the links, I've discovered they are only on Youtube Music Key, which is not yet available in all countries... Sorry about that!
- Find a very good vocal teacher. Sit down with him or her first and make sure that they will be able to meet your needs. Before finding mine I requested a consultation first to make sure she would be the right fit before spending money. I've had some bad vocal teachers in the past whom clearly did not care so much about technique and getting me the best sound. Just a few sessions so that you know what to do better can help.

- Practice the exercise that your teacher gives you. Mine recorded my warm ups every 6 weeks that I could practice with between lessons. It definitely made a difference.

- Record yourself. Many people hate this (I do too) but it is necessary for growth and improvement.
I'm not a big fan of singing success, it's way to easy to utilze the exercises improperly and you wont develop a strong voice. If you want to sing pop and are okay with having to rely on a mic for power go ahead.

Bel canto technique is the better technique. Its been used by some of the most impressive vocalists out there.

Here's a good workout for your voice.

Best way to learn to sing is with proper training.

A good exercise is to sing on an "ah" with a scale. Keep the mouth open wide, breathe and keep all the pressure at the diaphragm, which means your stomach and lower back will expand when you breathe in. When you rise in your range with the "ah" you should modify it to an "uh" slightly, you should feel the sound resonate from your face as you use more "head voice" in the range. Further up the scale you should then modify "uh" to "oo" like "pOOl" in pool or cool. Then back down the scale the vowel modification reverses so "oo" to "uh" then back to ah. The modifications shift your vocal tract, the modification shouldn't be too obvious, its still an "ah" but just shifted slightly and becomes more oo obvious the higher up you go.

Keeping the mouth wide open will train your voice apparatus to use only the muscles required for singing. Any tension or strain means your not either breathing properly or modifying the vowel.

To get the correct felling of support repeat a "ha ha ha" deliberate fake laugh staccato. You should feel your diaphragm engage with each "ha". Thats the kind of of lower abdomen expansion you want with your onset your singing, more so if you want to belt/power.

Now, before doing these exercises you should dedicate 10-15 minutes to warming up. The go to warm up are hums, and lip rolls. These should be done gentle with no pressure, their use is to open up your voice and get rid of tension and build up your range. Start lightly and throughout your voice work out add in more intensity, if you start out light and right and build upon that you have a much free'r voice when you want to rock out.