Not sure if this is the right section. Mods, feel free to move it.

Anyway, I need to get some relatively cheap studio monitors. My budget is about $150 (I can go to $200 but I'm not going above that at all). I have no idea what brands are good or what to look for in the monitors. Can someone help me out?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
MAudio AV-40s Surprisingly useful monitors at a modest cost. They are very boundary dependent so experiment with placement to get the most natural response.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Depends.

What do you wanna do with them?
Mix music, mix motion picture audio, play guitar with amp sims, casually listen to stuff... ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've been asking about this stuff too on other forums (no offense GG&A), and asking about gathering gear for a home studio, and I was told that monitors when mixing music, are something that you shouldn't really skimp out on.

However, if you want to have them as more-or-less compact PA speakers to play guitar through, then you could probably get away with less expensive monitors.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I've been asking about this stuff too on other forums (no offense GG&A), and asking about gathering gear for a home studio, and I was told that monitors when mixing music, are something that you shouldn't really skimp out on.

However, if you want to have them as more-or-less compact PA speakers to play guitar through, then you could probably get away with less expensive monitors.

None taken. GG&A is the wrong forum, anyway.

*Moved to Recordings*

But yes, monitors are definitely not something to skimp on.

With a budget of $150-200, I'd definitely be looking used. Nothing in that price range new is even remotely worth buying and you'd honestly probably be better off just getting a good pair of headphones if you can't afford more money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Imho, for mixing purposes you shouldn't bother with anything less than like $300 per speaker. For your price range, some nice Audio-Technica or AKG headphones are a better option.
I want them for mixing an electronic album. However, I don't plan on mixing tons of stuff with them, eventually we'll get a professional to do that kind of stuff. But for a demo, you guys still recommend spending much more? If I go to pawn shops or ebay to get used, what brands/models should I be looking at?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Honestly, I'd still probably go for a good set of headphones. You won't get the full picture using them, but you can always reference on a stereo for any fine tweaking. KRK Rokits might do you well enough for EDM, but I still wouldn't really recommend them, as they're really just more expensive desktop speakers...

FWIW, Adorama has Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros on sale right now for $120 after rebate, which is a crazy good deal. These are headphones you'll honestly never have to upgrade from:

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT990P250.html?adver=new&emailprice=t&sterm=QcLQedV-hS6e0e5x85VsiV4KUkV3Z3SyQ2KQTg0&kbid=62905

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
As other people have said you don't want to be cheap with the monitors. You need a decent set and also a decent pair of headphones wouldn't hurt either.

KRK Rokits are always good but you'd need at least $300 for a new pair. Find them used maybe?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/krk-rokit-powered-5-generation-3

I bought these last time they were half price at GC. They are decent for the price I'd say. I use them for another reference with my mixes and if I'm recording on-site and don't feel like dragging my Rokits
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-elevate-3-studio-monitors
Quote by anthsband
KRK Rokits are never good
FTFY

Seriously, krk rp's have the least accurate frequency response among all speakers marketed as studio monitors, they are muddy and they have a dip in the mids.

They sound flattering, and they're not what you want to use for mixing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.