I currently have a '92 Made in Korea Squier Strat with two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge position guitar which is nice but I'm wondering if simply a new amp would be better then buying a whole new guitar.

Just curious for opinions on whether you feel the guitar is more important or the amp/rig is more important? Of course each goes hand-in-hand however I am wondering myself if I should spend the extra money I have on getting a new amp (upgrading from my 1x10 practice combo) or a new guitar. I've been looking at JCM (mainly 600 and 900 versions) 2x12 combos and Fender MIM Strat's.
Amp first if you like the guitar ok, if the neck feels good you could always replace a pup or two, replacing the bridge pup can make a HUGE difference.
How is your intonation on the MIK? A guitar with garbage intonation will never sound good (unless that's your thing, but no).

New amp if the MIK is okay, although you might want to look into replacing both soon. What amp is it? If you're looking for suggestions on what to get as well, fill the rest of this out for us to help you better.

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?
Definitely amp, it sounds like you dig the guitar.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you're pretty happy with the guitar, then I suggest going ahead and getting a new amp. The amp actually has a lot more to do with getting good tone, unless the guitar is a pile of rubbish and won't stay in tune/won't intonate, has a super-high action, etc.

The difference between even a low-priced tube amp driving a 12" speaker is really quite huge compared to a small, 10" solid state practice amp. Everyone has to start somewhere, but most cheap practice amps are really uninspiring.

Tell us what genres/bands you'd like to sound like and we may be able to suggest an even better amp for you (not that there's anything wrong with the options you listed).
My bad I kinda threw all the original post all together with a lot of questions and not a lot of info. I had a feeling in my situation the amp/cab may have more impact on a better tone and overall sound. I am on a budget but have a little extra tax return money that I can spend.

My early 90's MIK Strat has low action, strings have spot on alignment with the pickups and fret board, looks cool (black body, aged white pick guard and pup covers, aged and worn along the sides maple neck). I do have a SD humbucker I could stick in the bridge position if I need a little extra harshness but the stock pickup does have some nice dirt to it. Guess perhaps I am getting caught up in the thinking of a gear snob in that it must have a Fender logo on it and not Squier. I have heard soem swear that these MIK Squier Strat's can compete well with MIM Fenders and beat most Affinity series Squier's out as well.

Amp wise, i've been looking at Marshall JCM 600 and 900 2x12 combos and also the Peavey Valve King 2x12 combo. However as far as separate cab and amp as many would say is most times better I've been eye'ing again a Peavey Valve King 100, Orange Micro Terror (lol but seriously am) or a Marshall Valvestate head and cab or 2x12 combo. Really the possibilities are endless sure however those are just the few I've been eyeing. Basically would like to get the whole rig as far as amp and speakers for $500 or under.
Last edited by klejst at Feb 18, 2015,
What do you want to play?
Also, what SD pickup is it?

If you dig the guitar, there's no point in replacing it.
If you'll be playing metal(By metal I mean death/thrash and all that stuff) the Valvestate for sure.
If you'll be playing metal(Megadeth/Metallica stuff) the JCM900 plus a boost, like a Digitech
Bad Monkey. That amp is supposedly solid state, so if you're okay with that, it's great.
If you want versatility the Valveking+boost.
The cleans on it are nice, but the gain lacks for metal. The built in boost is rubbish.
I don't know too much about the JCM600.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Feb 18, 2015,
Honestly I have 2 squiers, one affinity strat i've modded with a humbucker and a Jim Root Tele, both are very good with a little modifications/a good set up, I'd go for a new amp if I were you man
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I'd go amp here as well. What will you be using the amp for - upgraded home practice amp, gigging, recording, etc?

Basically answer Will's questions above and you'll get some good feedback.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Yep get an amp, but I'd stay away from the JCM600 because they have a bad issue with overheating. The JCM600 was later renamed JTM60. I'm not a big JCM900 (DR) fan but you could do a whole lot worse than it that is for sure.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yep get an amp, but I'd stay away from the JCM600 because they have a bad issue with overheating. The JCM600 was later renamed JTM60. I'm not a big JCM900 (DR) fan but you could do a whole lot worse than it that is for sure.

Do all the 900's(The sl-x and the other one) have solid state stuff in them?(Sorry for the threadjack BTW).
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Do all the 900's(The sl-x and the other one) have solid state stuff in them?(Sorry for the threadjack BTW).

I used to think the SLX was all tube (MKIII and DR are hybrids) but Cathbard told me it has something in the volume section that is SS, but all the gain comes from the tubes in the SL-X, the MKII and DR have diodes in the signal path.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would go for an amp. I have a Korean Squier, the one in my avatar, it's my favorite guitar. All stock except for the cheapo pots that gave up 10 years ago. I'll never let it go, and I've played a dozen American strats that I didn't like as well.

Can't say much about what amp, I'm a dedicated tube guy but have never owned a Marshall, I'm a Fender/Peavey fan. My biggest issue with Marshall is I can't see paying for their name...or at least that was the way it wound up years ago, I would find Fender and Peavey amps for half what Marshalls cost so I never got into Marshalls. The Peavey Classic 50 and Classic 30 are both very good, almost any tube amp Fender made will suit me, I've also played others I liked pretty well...Mesa, Traynor, Randall, Orange, Vox...I'm just not that picky about the amp, I can plug my guitar into basically any tube amp with my Marshall Bluesbreaker Overdrive pedal and sound like me. I have a 1973 Super Reverb and a mid 1980's Peavey MX, run them through an A/B switch and you can barely tell the difference...Super Reverb is a 45 watt all tube amp with no master volume, MX is a 130 watt two channel solid state preamp into tube power amp plugged into a Kustom 2x12 cab made in 1967. Totally different, tweak the knobs a little and I can get them sounding so close you can't tell which one I'm playing.

The amp doesn't make as much difference as a lot of people think, with a couple of pedals you can get just about any tube amp to give you the sound you want. I've seen metal guys playing 1970's Fender amps. Get the right pedals and you'd never know it. Wish I could remember the model, one metal band I saw at a benefit show had a lead player running a 1975 or so Fender head through a Marshall cabinet, best sounding rig all day. I've played my MX with two metal bands at auditions, it's the cleanest amp I've ever had...just plugged in a good distortion pedal and they both wanted to hire me as lead guitar player...I declined both times, metal is just not my thing...but it was fun jamming...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Feb 18, 2015,
Quote by klejst
I currently have a '92 Made in Korea Squier Strat with two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge position guitar which is nice but I'm wondering if simply a new amp would be better then buying a whole new guitar.

The guitar is your interface to the music, and you need a guitar that will give you as good as it gets. It doesn't need to be expensive or fancy, but it should be a guitar whose action can be set as low as you need (for example) and that allows you to expand your playing ability. When you get to that point, a "better" guitar is more different than truly better.

If you've reached that point with your guitar, you can begin to add in refinements to the sound portion of things, and that's where a different amp comes in.
Quote by Fryderyczek

All 900's have a SS, op-amp driven Master Volume section. The SL/X doesn't have any diode clipping, the other two do. The Dual Reverb has more shit going on with op-amps and diodes than some SS amps.

Edit: They all have SS FX loops too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 18, 2015,
Thanks for the replies and for understanding what I was basically getting at, I rush typed that before I headed out yesterday. My Korean Strat sounds great to me and does have the custom functionality options if need be as time goes. Like I said for only paying $100 for the guitar I think I did really well. I suppose sometimes I too get caught up in the brand names and do not put enough emphases on the tone and play ability of gear.

I've been considering now an older Peavey amp or combo of some sorts or truly the Orange Micro Terror pair with some cheap (in price) 4x12 cab of some sorts. I found a Marshall MG412B for $100 used. Too much gear out there.
Last edited by klejst at Feb 19, 2015,
Quote by klejst
Thanks for the replies and for understanding what I was basically getting at, I rush typed that before I headed out yesterday. My Korean Strat sounds great to me and does have the custom functionality options if need be as time goes. Like I said for only paying $100 for the guitar I think I did really well. I suppose sometimes I too get caught up in the brand names and do not put enough emphases on the tone and play ability of gear.

I've been considering now an older Peavey amp or combo of some sorts or truly the Orange Micro Terror pair with some cheap (in price) 4x12 cab of some sorts. I found a Marshall MG412B for $100 used. Too much gear out there.

The mg cab is shit.
The micro terror is decent but won't be too good for gigs.
I'd get a Dark Terror or a Tiny Terror with some 2x12 cab and be done with it.
Fly on, fly on