I heard the 9 string has 2 bass strings and the other strings are just like a 7 string. Is this true? And does an 8 string have any bass strings?
A 7 string has 7 strings, an 8 string has 8, and a 9 string has 9.
The only difference is that a 9 string can be tuned lower than an 8, an 8 can be tuned lower than a 7, and a 7 can be tuned lower than a 6.
Of course you have alternate tunings and stuff, but that's the most basic difference.
They also have different necks from each other.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by mantonnewtonsqu
What's the difference between a 7 string, 8 string and 9 string?

One string. Each. Respectively.

Quote by mantonnewtonsqu
I heard the 9 string has 2 bass strings and the other strings are just like a 7 string. Is this true? And does an 8 string have any bass strings?

The string gauges on a standard 9-string (30" scale) are: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .074 .090

The string gauges on a standard 8-string (27-28" scale) are: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .074

And because you'll probably ask, string gauges on a standard 10-string (30" scale) are: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .074 .090, .110

Standard bass strings (4-string) are .045, .065, .085, .105

Truth is, when you get into extended range guitars, there are a lot of different options, and some folks have the bottom of the 7-string a standard E with a higher string (a?) above the high E, and so on.
Quote by mantonnewtonsqu

well not quite accurate but not totally wrong either. the extra strings can be used to deliver lower notes depending on tuning. for the sake of discussion will stick with standard tuning to illustrate what i'm saying

6 - string (regular guitar) EADGBE

7 - string BEABGBE

8 - string GBEADGBE

9 - string AGBEADGBE

so yesif tuned this way the extra strings produce lower ntes that can dip into the bass range. as mentioned there are other tunings which wil produce different results.
Quote by monwobobbo
well not quite accurate but not totally wrong either. the extra strings can be used to deliver lower notes depending on tuning. for the sake of discussion will stick with standard tuning to illustrate what i'm saying

6 - string (regular guitar) EADGBE

7 - string BEABGBE

8 - string GBEADGBE

9 - string AGBEADGBE

so yesif tuned this way the extra strings produce lower ntes that can dip into the bass range. as mentioned there are other tunings which wil produce different results.

The standard low on an 8 is F# and the standard low on a 9 is C#...
Quote by Masoo2
The standard low on an 8 is F# and the standard low on a 9 is C#...

for what tuning? my example is in straight up old fashioned standard E tuning. whether that is actually used or not i don't know i just uded it as an example.
Just extra strings, for lower notes. I don't get why the concept of the extended range guitar is so hard to understand for so many people. There's nothing to it that can't be inferred with extremely simple reasoning, by anyone with the slightest degree of understanding of how a guitar works.

Also, monwobobbo, typical standard tuning for an ERG beyond 7 strings continues going down by perfect 4ths with each extra string, so as to avoid having a second hitch in the pattern, like the major 3rd between the high G and B strings. That's why "standard" tuning for an 8 or 9 string, the way they ship from manufacturers, is a low F# and C#, rather than another G and D. Of course, there's nothing wrong with tuning them that way, if you'd prefer to have the same intervals of the high strings repeat on the extra low ones. And ERGs are great for experimenting with wild tunings, as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
for what tuning? my example is in straight up old fashioned standard E tuning. whether that is actually used or not i don't know i just uded it as an example.

F# and C# are standard F# and C# tuning. Basically what you get if you extended the standard E tuning downwards.

E to A is a perfect fourth,

G to B is a major third. In contrast, F# to B is also a perfect fourth.

A to G is a minor seventh. In contrast, C# to F# is also a perfect fourth.

Quote by the_bi99man
And ERGs are great for experimenting with wild tunings, as well.

I use it to avoid downtuning.

It's a pain in the butt to play pedal point riffs like in almost every metal song.

@TS Bass strings...That's an option. But not necessarily. D'addario has 8-string sets.

Traditional gauge on the eighth string ranges from 0.74 to 0.80. A common bass gauge is 45-100.

I believe the guitar strings are created differently, so you'll end up with a little bit more bass if you use bass strings.
Last edited by triface at Feb 19, 2015,
Quote by The_Pyramidion
Unless you're playing jazz, the extra strings are completely unnecessary.

Please don't be THAT guy...
Quote by The_Pyramidion

Yeah, lets start putting arbitrary limitations on what is "necessary" to create music. Kindly **** off, Mr. Laughably Closed-Minded.
Quote by The_Pyramidion

To some extent I have to agree. Most metal bands use the extra strings just for the djentz and br00t4lz.

But you also have people like Animals as Leaders and Scale the Summit pushing the boundaries of what it really means to play an ERG. It may not be music for everyone, especially the former, but it doesn't disprove the fact that they're using ERGs in ways that not many bands thought of.

I say give it some time.
Bass strings sound quite different from guitar strings, so you should try and find thick guitar strings instead of going the easy way.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I think they differ in number of strings. Don't remember which one had the most though.
Quote by triface
To some extent I have to agree. Most metal bands use the extra strings just for the djentz and br00t4lz.

So? How exactly does that render anything invalid?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

And anyway, isn't that all that AaL and StS use the extra strings for?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by triface

But you also have people like Animals as Leaders and Scale the Summit pushing the boundaries of what it really means to play an ERG. It may not be music for everyone, especially the former, but it doesn't disprove the fact that they're using ERGs in ways that not many bands thought of.

I say give it some time.

it has to start somewhere. wasn't that long ago that 7 string guitars were considered frivalous and maybe just to play "jazz" or some weird foreign music. guys like steve vai started to use them and then metal bands like Korn. before you know it they were pretty common and accepted.
Quote by theogonia777
And anyway, isn't that all that AaL and StS use the extra strings for?

Don't know enough about StS but AaL definitely use a lot of the low range for the clean chord work as well as the djenty low end.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

It doesn't. That's why I say I agree to an extent, in that it's a little superfluous the way they are used, but it still has its place.