'cause that's what my father's doing with his mother, and I'd say the thing would start going much better if he chilled the **** out.

But in general, d'ya think it's right to demand or to expect that people act rationally, logically and following common sense?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you have to demand something like that from someone, they are probably not capable of doing so.
people use the word rational in gross ways

usually includes "can't you just be rational??!" in a stupid tone where what is being asked is not rationality but the complete disregard of emotions which is often very irrational.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Feb 18, 2015,
It's quite irrational to expect rationality from an irrational, rationalizing species...

Of course I also note that a person can be acting in accordance with rationality internally (their actions and reasons for said actions are in alignment) and still be nuttier than a fruitcake...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 18, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
But in general, d'ya think it's right to demand or to expect that people act rationally, logically and following common sense?

Yes I do. Too bad everyone has their own idea of rational, logic, and sense.

Quote by Wormholes
If you have to demand something like that from someone, they are probably not capable of doing so.

Unfortunately, I have agree with you.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by UltimateGuizar
I'm very rational although some people mistake me for being condescending.
That means I talk down to people.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by Fat Lard
goodness that's br00tal
---
Rationality is a relative concept. Telling someone "to think rationally" requires both person's rationality to be similar enough so that the rational progression of one person can influence the rational progression of the other. Sometimes, this rational progression correction will have to start so far back in the progression chain that both people are brought to simple, basic beliefs.

In case of some people, some do not even know how to constructively argue, or are too fed up with some sort of blindness (usually emotion, can be other things), so there is just no point in attempting rational argumentation with someone like that. At that point, you must be firm enough in your own progression that you can eliminate the need for the thought of the other person into the argument and make the decision on your own.

Any person worth rationalizing with (or debating with if you'd rather that term), would not have to be reminded "to be rational."
---
tl;dr no you can't do anything
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 18, 2015,
Human beings are inherently irrational.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Everyone is rational. People will often rationalise their irrational and harmful decisions with awful logic.

The problem is that one persons idea of rational is not the same as someone elses.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Wormholes
If you have to demand something like that from someone, they are probably just not going to do that.
It's not even that they may lack capacity. People generally react negatively to demands and the notion that they aren't acting rationally in the first place, and are probably going to be less likely to cooperate.
no, but sometimes you might be left to it
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Fat Lard
I was thinking this very same thing, good call.

The question from the get-go is framed in a 'rational' = negative light; OP's title uses ['questioning' is it right? ]"demand".

Propognda uses similar tactics in 'steering' the answer to the way they had previously inclined.

But, there has been no evidence that contradicts that OP's father should be killed. (Or just stay out of it, since you're young n dumb and should have NO opinion in your father's mom-son relationship).

wtf are u on about lol
banned
assholes are quite rational

how else would your body remove waste?

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by DamienEx1021
Yes I do. Too bad everyone has their own idea of rational, logic, and sense.

Unfortunately, I have agree with you.

lol this guy
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I try to act rationally but if I get upset I often act on my emotions instead of thinking things through. It takes an awful lot to get me upset or angry though so I'm usually fine.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Humans are shit at being logical and rational. In comparison to other species, humans are shit in general.
Free Ali
Quote by bradulator
We are apes with thumbs.

er....all apes have thumbs.

You can expect other people to behave rationally, but it'll mostly just drive you bonkers. Most humans are ultimately self-serving. Which, I imagine, can probably be rationalized.
Dude, I play bass. I don't get paid for anything past the 4th fret.
We have both reason and emotion. Its stupid to rely on one and reject the other. Where is the balance point? Like hell I know.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by chrismendiola
Humans are shit at being logical and rational. In comparison to other species, humans are shit in general.
This is the dumbest view of humanity for so many reasons.
Quote by seanlang01
This is the dumbest view of humanity for so many reasons.

oh alright thanx 4 sharing
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Feb 18, 2015,
You just have to be rational about your emotions.

Are you angry your team lost in the World Cup/Super Bowl? It's okay to be a little angry and shout a little bit. It's rational to do so because you let go some steam and don't resent it, which may **** up your day and other's, and you can use it as a bonding experience with friends, etc.
But did your team lose and you went outside and started ****ing the neighbour's dog? Yeah, you might be a little irrational.

Being rational just means applying reason and logic to a certain context.
People often paint rationality in a negative light because they think this context excludes human feelings, emotions, and other traits or aspects we deem positive (morality, etc). But that is false, because that just means you chose the context wrongly. You need to include all of those into the context too, as well as other "rational" things (dealing with money, business, consequences to actions, bla etc bla).

Just....like....be a human being

EDIT: "Demand" is a strong word, but you should expect rationality.