Hey guys, new to the forum here. So the thing is, one of my relatives in San Francisco is coming to India to visit me and my family. And I am in desperate need of an acoustic guitar. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and play everything from metal and rock songs to finger picking and chords on my acoustic. The old one I have(some nameless brand) is really banged up, so I'm looking to upgrade. My budget is around $300. Stretching it even a little is gonna be really difficult(broke student here), but ill do it(50-100$ max) if it'll make a huge difference. I am based right now in a suburb in Mumbai, no music stores anywhere nearby where i can try out good guitars. So this is perhaps the only opportunity ill have to buy a decent guitar. My relative will leave in a couple of days. So I have to make this decision quick! I'll be relying on reviews and you guys entirely! Please help me figure this out! here are by requirements...

- Below $300
- Cutaway
- Electronics not needed

The models I've looked at so far are the fg730s and the seagull s6 original(out of budget), but both do not have cutaways under my budget(or maybe i haven't found them). Any help from you guys will be much appreciated!
Get a Yamaha - you won't find one without electronics with a cutaway though.

I would suggest abandoning the cutaway requirement for your budget.

Yamaha makes the most consistent guitars in your price range.
I agree going for Yamaha.

If you'll go used and like a bit smaller bodied acoustic, the APX series is my favourite and budget friendly too, I think they're even budget-friendly enough to buy as new?
It does have electronics.. but that's not a bad thing, is it?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Feb 19, 2015,
Reverb66 Ive been thinking the same thing. Maybe for my budget ill have to compromise on the cutaway. But it wont be too bad i guess. Plus the 730s has extremely positive reviews everywhere!

Sakke I wont be able to judge the quality and condition of the guitar, so i dont think buying used is a good idea.
Quote by kaustubhaj33
Reverb66 Ive been thinking the same thing. Maybe for my budget ill have to compromise on the cutaway. But it wont be too bad i guess. Plus the 730s has extremely positive reviews everywhere!

Sakke I wont be able to judge the quality and condition of the guitar, so i dont think buying used is a good idea.
The APX series of Yamaha isn't a particularly good idea anyway. At least IMHO. They're all laminate, and the thin profile doesn't have the depth of sound, even when compared to a decent full body all laminate guitar.

In the price range you're shopping, electronics and cutaway are generally regarded as the same option package.

The Yamaha FG-700 is the most recommended starter guitar here. It's cutaway sister, is the FGX-700, but with cut, also includes electronics. You get an onboard tuner with the FGX (IIRC). That saves at least ten bucks, and the aggravation of ordering it separately.

The FGX would place you dead on budget, the FG-720, w/electronics, a bit above it. Both are excellent guitars, even for a more advanced player on a budget.

Should you ever decide to sell your guitar, the electric models should be a bit easier to unload.

Although I rarely plug in, I don't buy anything without electronics. I'm in nearly the same price boat as you, although I might max out at about $700.00 for something I really like. But then, I'm out of school a long, long, time, and I can always use, "it's part of my bucket list", as an excuse. I like the look of a cutaway acoustics.

To further excuse the electronics, there's the age old adage as it relates to a 300HP motor, in a car used to pickup the groceries. "The power's there if I need it"!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 19, 2015,
I'm trying to think of a cutaway guitar that doesn't have electronics and I'm drawing a blank. They seem to come together as a package although I'm not sure why. I'd have to agree with crank, FGX 700 would be on the very short list of best guitars in the $300 range. I'd be tempted to stretch the budget a little for the rosewood back and sides model though(730?). I also agree that you wouldn't want a thin bodied, all laminate unless you were playing mostly plugged in.