I had to replace the strings on my three week old acoustic guitar because they were dirty and tarnished from the sweat on my hands. Since Elixir strings are popular and supposedly last long, I decided to buy a set. After I put them on my guitar, oh boy, it is 10x harder to play. The strings are soooo slippery. It's so bad that I feel like throwing them out now (which means throwing out the $15 I spent on them) and replacing them with cheaper uncoated strings.

Anyone else have this same issue with Elixir strings?
I keep them on my acoustic since i rarely change them and play it much less than my electric. But i do hate them on my electrics, they are indeed to slipery to me. Just change them if you dont like them, there is no point in forcing yourself to play them.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
"Too slippery?"

Are you guys out of your Vulcan Minds?
I'm a real fan of slippery. Stainless frets that make bends effortless, strings that allow you to move up and down the fretboard with ease? What, exactly is the downside of slippery?

I've got Elixirs on all the guitars that are unlikely to be played frequently. No issues whatsoever. They're too expensive for the busy guitars.
Then again, I change strings on the most-used guitars pretty frequently, so cheap strings rule for those.
Quote by dspellman
"Too slippery?"

I'm a real fan of slippery. Stainless frets that make bends effortless, strings that allow you to move up and down the fretboard with ease? What, exactly is the downside of slippery?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dspellman
"Too slippery?"

The downside is right there in front of you in the form of the word "too," which implies a problematic surplus.
Some people have problems with grip for bending or hammer-ons or just like a more tactile string, especially for fingerstyle. It's not crazy. It's probably more common with people who are just starting, where calluses haven't developed yet and barre chords might slip out from under the fingers.

On the other hand I don't think it matters if other people have or have not had this same issue - if you can't stand the strings, $15 is not the end of the world and now you know not to buy them again.
Quote by Roc8995
The downside is right there in front of you in the form of the word "too," which implies a problematic surplus.
Some people have problems with grip for bending or hammer-ons or just like a more tactile string, especially for fingerstyle. It's not crazy. It's probably more common with people who are just starting, where calluses haven't developed yet and barre chords might slip out from under the fingers.

On the other hand I don't think it matters if other people have or have not had this same issue - if you can't stand the strings, $15 is not the end of the world and now you know not to buy them again.

Correct. I've been learning for a few months and just started getting the hang of switching chords. Now I'm back to square one because my fingers keep slipping when forming chords now. It's crazy!!
Quote by Roc8995

I understand the concept, I'm just having a hard time imagining the reality...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I know Elixr acoustic strings are pretty unpopular but I haven't found another set that I like as much.

Never had a problem of strings too slippery
I just never liked how they sounded, the coating never bothered me.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I love elixirs. Use them on all my guitars. You notice a nice change when you put a fresh set on; but for the most part, they maintain their tone and playability seemingly forever. They definitely have a sleekness to them. I wouldnt call it a surplus, but i guess that is matter of opinion. they make my playing feel effortless
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I don't use my Strat a lot and it's case-kept most of the time so I randomly decided to put a set of Elixirs on it. They've been on there for months and they still feel brand new but the "slipperiness" has gone away over time. I'm sure yours will too. Wouldn't hurt to stick with them a little longer or go ahead and change them.
i used them for a while, the polyweb version. i liked the tone, but they would break so often and lose the tone too quickly. so i switched to martin phos bronze(purple or green pack) and i must say i like them much better. its the only type of strings i will buy for my acoustic for almost the last 5 years.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Feb 19, 2015,
I used to use the nanoweb ones and didn't think they were worth the money. I felt like I needed to replace them just as often as normal strings.

I liked the acoustic ones a lot, though. They seemed to make a pretty big difference, but again not at the price point.

Cheap(er) strings FTW.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I didn't have any problems playing them but they did feel awkward and I wasn't a fan of the dull sound. I would probably try a different set if they were cheaper but given they cost 3x more than EB Regular Slinkies, which I'm quite content with, I'm too frugal to bother.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by JBailey23
I don't use my Strat a lot and it's case-kept most of the time so I randomly decided to put a set of Elixirs on it. They've been on there for months and they still feel brand new but the "slipperiness" has gone away over time. I'm sure yours will too. Wouldn't hurt to stick with them a little longer or go ahead and change them.

I guess I could give it a little time to see how they break in. I'd hate to just throw them out because like I said, I paid $15 for them and obviously, they're not returnable now. But if that slipperiness doesn't do away, I may just have to ditch them because at my beginner stage, I need to make playability easier, not more difficult. I'll wait a few weeks and see how it goes, but I won't wait longer than that.
Quote by the_white_bunny
i used them for a while, the polyweb version. i liked the tone, but they would break so often and lose the tone too quickly. so i switched to martin phos bronze(purple or green pack) and i must say i like them much better. its the only type of strings i will buy for my acoustic for almost the last 5 years.

I've never broken an Elixir, honestly.

I've got Elixirs (no idea whether polyweb, nanoweb or nanu-nanu) on my "Kumbaya-at-the-beach" cheap Yamaha acoustic dread that sits out all the time and that gets used as a paddle on the really bad rapids. The Taylor 814ce gets bronzewounds (though I think it came with a set of Elixirs back when).
Quote by Roc8995

Some people have problems with grip

Uh yeah, I had a grip on the issue from the get-go.

Friend of mine is learning and had that issue with a brand new (electric) guitar. I dug up an old clunker that had green (slightly corroded) frets and...uh...texture on the unwound strings and he was happy as a clam until he developed a bit of personal traction.
Quote by dspellman
Uh yeah, I had a grip on the issue from the get-go.

Friend of mine is learning and had that issue with a brand new (electric) guitar. I dug up an old clunker that had green (slightly corroded) frets and...uh...texture on the unwound strings and he was happy as a clam until he developed a bit of personal traction.

Well, you asked "What, exactly is the downside of slippery?" as if you didn't understand why I was having a hard time.
Quote by dspellman
The Taylor 814ce gets bronzewounds (though I think it came with a set of Elixirs back when).

they do come with taylors.
but like i said i find (oddly enough) that the martin brand phos bronze strings do my taylor the most justice tonally.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I changed my Elixir strings with D'Addario non-coated ones the day after I started this thread because I got so fed up with the slipperiness. It has been only two weeks since I put on the fresh set of D'Addario's and they're already starting to sound really dead. The problem is, I have very sweaty hands, so they mess up the steel strings quickly. Luckily, I still saved the Elixir's as I'm afraid I'll have to put them back on and just force myself to get used to those strings. My sweaty hands seem to ruin non-coated strings very easily and quickly, so I'm going to have to learn to play with coated ones. I don't want to be changing strings every two weeks.