hello!
guys, I can't find a used Peavy Vypyr Tube you suggested me
so can you suggest me an alternative?
remember, I want to play death metal, black metal (very distorted and heavy stuff) and have as many effects as possible to experiment
thanks!
one of the higher wattage roland cubes?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd buy an amp with good distortion and a Line 6 Pod or a a Boss GT-100.
For the BOSS as cathbard about it, as for the line 6, it has both amp and effects. You would only need a powered speaker and use the POD's distortion for your sound.
Buying the POD itself would save you a shitton of money.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Feb 20, 2015,
You do know there's a difference between death and black metal sound? If you want "true" Darkthrone/Burzum-style black metal sound, get the cheapest amp you can find, turn the highs to 11 and the rest to zero, and record it with a cassette recorder. Maybe put a distortion in front of it and crank that up too if you want something more elaborate.

Anecdote: for Burzum's iconic Filosofem, Varg asked the studio guy for the worst mic he had, and so the vocals were recorded with a cheap PC headset. And loads of distortion.

It may well be that for those sounds, the better the amp, the worse.
Quote by Dave_Mc
one of the higher wattage roland cubes?

why not lower wattage?
I have limited budget plus I don't need high wattage, as I will only play at home
Quote by Will Lane
Cubes can work for practice/small gigs. Very nice distortion qualities.

you mean the roland cubes?
^ yeah he does

^^ because the lower wattage ones (excepting the microcube) don't have as many amp models etc. I think the 30/40 watt (depending on age) is where they start getting all the amp models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what you mean by amp models? it's like the differect effects it can produce?

maybe then it would be wise to go for the micro cube?
ampeg vh140c. should nail both.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I wouldn't pick it for death metal, but for black metal a Randall Diavlo will suit you just fine. That's what I play black metal on. I imagine with a boost you could get in DM territory though.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by romeozdistress
ampeg vh140c. should nail both.

is this a standalone amp or a head that needs other equipment?
OK what's your budget and location again?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by guitaror
50-100 pounds UK

Ouch...that IS brutal.

I guess look at what is in that budget. Stay away from Line 6 Spider range...or maybe not...I'm thinking that on the "extreme" setting and a distortion pedal in front might get you early Burzum/Mayhem sounds as it sound like a**. Look at the budget range and see what you can get.
Only thing I can suggest is maybe look at some used Marshall Valvestate amps like VS8100 or its combo variation, then enhance with pedals. Maybe one of the small Blackstar amps, the 5 watters.
I'd try to find a Peavey Vypyr 30 combo. Your budget is very light though, you do realize that, right?

I just acquired a Vypyr 30 head, which I run through my 412 cab. Any of the high-gain models could be used for death or black metal -- there is plenty of gain there. As for the tone, I know you could find something on that amp for either genre. Black metal can be anything from super-trebly, harsh, shit-tone -- all the way to rich, harmonically complex distorted tones. It just depends on what you need. I play black metal but I opt for a richer, thicker tone myself. It's my riffs and playing that make it sound dark and grim, lol.

Death metal is a little harder to achieve, tone-wise -- because it needs to have more low-end yet still be tight enough for complex riffing. The Vypyr's Rectifier, Diezel, and 6505 models would all sound good for that.
Quote by guitaror
(a) what you mean by amp models? it's like the differect effects it can produce?

(b) maybe then it would be wise to go for the micro cube?

(a) yeah it "models" classic amps' tones, like fenders, marshalls, mesas etc. which is pretty handy for getting a range of different tones (and also the main tones you want).

(b) possibly. it's kind of a judgement call. it won't sound as good as the bigger ones, but it's nice and small, and portable so can be run on batteries- so might be useful later on down the line even if you get a bigger amp later.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ive been looking at getting a crate gx65 to play around on. need something cheap for my mancave.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
crate gx65 is the way to go?

is CRATE GX-15R any good?
I find it cheap on ebay
Quote by guitaror
crate gx65 is the way to go?

is CRATE GX-15R any good?
I find it cheap on ebay

there's a reason it's cheap. in short no.
id get the crate gx65 if you can find it. better than any of those probably. 3 channels. id def stay away from the vox. can you find a vypyr 30? i just scored one for under $100. 12 inch speaker is preferable.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't know whether this is possible for you, but if it were me I would save up for a few months and buy a 'proper' amp and maybe a decent dirtbox. You are literally wasting your money if you buy any of that stuff. You can get a used Peavey Valveking in the UK for around 150 quid; I know because that's how much I paid for mine. Be patient.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I don't know whether this is possible for you, but if it were me I would save up for a few months and buy a 'proper' amp and maybe a decent dirtbox. You are literally wasting your money if you buy any of that stuff. You can get a used Peavey Valveking in the UK for around 150 quid; I know because that's how much I paid for mine. Be patient.

ok maybe get the vypyr 30 ?
Quote by guitaror
ok maybe get the vypyr 30 ?

Yeah that would definitely be better for you in the long run. It'll be worth it even if you have to wait.
yeah id grab the vypyr 30 if possible. the high treble krank model seems like itd be ideal for black metal.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A