Hi,
Sorry for another distortion pedal thread

I'm looking for a classic crunchy vintage rock tone. kind of inbetween overdrive and distortion. My budget is £80 (90 dollars) I've been looking at the Rat as it can also do Fuzz instead of buying another pedal. Just wondered if theirs Anyother pedals to consider?
Note: I've already got a bad monkey.
Thanks!
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
I made a thread with the exact same name a couple weeks ago and I ended up with an MI Audio Crunch Box. I highly suggest you check out the Crunch Box (or Super Crunch Box if you can afford it), it cleans up almost as well as a typical overdrive, it nails Angus Young crunch by the time the gain is halfway up and it'll turn even single coils and a low gain amp into a monster. And its very quiet. I haven't owned too many distortion pedals but I really dig the Crunch Box way better than the Rat.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Guitar137335

I'm looking for a classic crunchy vintage rock tone. kind of inbetween overdrive and distortion.

While this is probably out of your budget, you should wander over to the Wampler Pedals site and go through the vids and sound files for the Pinnacle (Plus) and the Plextortion and the Plexidrive. Maybe check out the Brent Mason pedal and whatever Brad Paisley is using these days.

The Pinnacle *really* nails a lot of what you're looking for, IMHO. See if you agree.
The Boss DS-1 does ok, not great, and you can find some mods online, I did mine to get it to work more like a overdrive and it's not bad...my favorite, can't get it in your price range I Don't think, is the Ibanez SD9 distortion. Mine is working flaky, that's why I switched to the Boss, which is my back up.

I had a Rat a while back, the original one, sold it because I Found it had too much treble. Wish I had kept it now, found out later I could have done a bit of tinkering and it can be modded...great pedal except for too much treble.

For your price range, sorry but I don't know of anything really good. Te Ibanez I have was running about $150 US last time I checked and the Marshall Bluesbreaker I use 90% of the time is around $200 right now on ebay. It does a great job, probably would do just what you want, low gain settings get just a good clean boost and high gain settings get almost into distortion pedal territory..If you have to stay in that price range, I'm not sure what a Rat costs these days, I got mine under $10 at a yard sale, and the Boss DS-1 can be found pretty cheap and modded without a lot of trouble. It's decent, but won't match the Ibanez SD9 I've had for 30 years. You might also be able to find the Maxon SD9 clone, that' the company that originally made the Ibanez version, I screwed up and passed a chance at one before I moved out of Louisiana a couple of years ago, now I'm kicking myself, could have gotten it new for $100.

My best advice, save up a little more for one of the better ones. I don't know of anything I would really want that I can find in your price range...unless I got lucky at a flea market or yard sale...you might check pawn shops, and the yard sales, resale shops and flea markets I scour every chance I get...local auctions, if you can find any, turn up gems now and then too. I watched a Hammond M3 organ go out the door for $90 one night. I missed it, could have sold the thing in no time for $1500, if I wanted to sit on it for a couple of months, $2000 or more...Just happened to wander into a local auction one night...

I've found things like that in yard sales, 2 of my guitars and a couple of pedals came from yard sales, Artley Flute 8 bucks at a Goodwill store, Schaller volume pedal 5 bucks at some resale shop or other...missed a Fender bass that needed a little work for 10 bucks...Look around, never pass up a flea market, yard sale or resale shop...Check craigslist too, usually prices are a bit high but sometimes you get lucky.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Thanks for all the replies guys. Btw I'm in Europe so I'll order it on Thomann.de and I can't mod yet! I could up my budget to 100 Dollars. Also what about the MXR Distortion Plus or Boss Os2?
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Feb 19, 2015,
the distortion + is pretty vintagey-sounding, and sort of between od and distortion i guess, but it's very much a one-trick pony i'd have said. more modern distortion pedals probably have it beat for versatility etc. I wouldn't get it considering it's your only pedal and considering your budget is quite low, I'd aim for something more likely to definitely do what you want.

soul food might be worth a look if it's not too low gain

rat's a good call

hardwire valve distortion might be worth a try
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Save up a bit. My suggestion is the Wampler Cranked Overdrive/Cranked AC. Crunch box would be good too if you don't want to spend the extra. The Cranked OD has a spiffy EQ section.

By the way, what amp do you have? You could get the tones "conventionally" with a overdrive/boost of sorts.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 19, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
the distortion + is pretty vintagey-sounding, and sort of between od and distortion i guess, but it's very much a one-trick pony i'd have said. more modern distortion pedals probably have it beat for versatility etc. I wouldn't get it considering it's your only pedal and considering your budget is quite low, I'd aim for something more likely to definitely do what you want.

soul food might be worth a look if it's not too low gain

rat's a good call

hardwire valve distortion might be worth a try

i dare you to post in a thread without mentioning the soul food lololol
mojostompboxes.com
Thanks for the replies. Am using a Mesa mini recifier. I can get Mordern tones out of it but you can't switch between vintage and Mordern I could go to 120 dollars if that helps.
I've already got a tube screamer type pedal.
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Feb 20, 2015,
Without skyrocketing your budget, get an extremely tight breakup on the Mesa (I'm sure it can do that) and try boosting it with a middy overdrive and crank the mids on the amp as well. I suggest the Crunch Box for thtat.
Quote by greeny23
i dare you to post in a thread without mentioning the soul food lololol

I know, right? the irony is I don't actually use it all that much, the main thing i use it for is the buffer in it. You'd think I was a total fanboy of the pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?