Hey guys, title says it all really, I`m looking for a bridge pickup that would go well with a Full Shred neck for shred stuff (Satch, Becker, etc.) and metal in general. My rig is a Roland Cube 60 running into a Boss ME-50 and the guitar I`ll be putting the pickups in is my Jackson JS32 DKA-M.

Bear in mind, I haven`t actually installed a FSN in my guitar yet but judging by reviews and it`s specs on paper, it seems to have the exact tone I`m looking for in a neck pup, tight lows, decent mids and highs and is clear and articulate under lots of gain. It is also supposed to sound great coil tapped which is an added bonus for me as I like some versatility.

Anyways, I`ve heard about many people using the likes of an Invader in the bridge with the FSN but I feel that the output would be a bit too high for my tastes as I like to have a somewhat useable clean tone as well. I`m looking for a high output pup thats not overly hot ie. a Dimebucker with fairly tight lows, decent mids and bright but not harsh highs, basically a pickup that will cut through a mix well. So does anyone have any suggestions for a bridge pup that would go well with the Full Shred neck? Thanks
If you aren't against using active electronics, the EMG 81 kicks ass
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...-Zappa
I`m fairly settled on the FSN so I don`t think I`ll be mixing both actives and passives together any time soon.
Haven`t looked at many Dimarzios to be honest, do you have any experience with this pickup or know what it sounds like?
Could look at a Seymour Duncan JB, those are pretty good for metal though personally I haven't used one
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
I'm going to be that guy and say that you probably need a new amp. The Cube 60 is a good practice amp, but it isn't going to compare to a decent tube amp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm going to be that guy and say that you probably need a new amp. The Cube 60 is a good practice amp, but it isn't going to compare to a decent tube amp.

This x1000. Pickups are for fine tuning your tone, but the amp will get you closer to what you want. Anyways if you want some good shred pickups i personally recommend the duncan distortion since it's a tight pickup with good output, the jb if you want less tightness but more warmth, also worth checking out is the duncan perpetual burn. It's the new Jason Becker sig pup and should work for all those artists you listed just fine.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Haha I was expecting that response to pop up soon enough I`m actually fairly happy with the sounds I can get with the Cube 60 and the ME-50 together. I think the thing that really makes my tone is the compressor on the ME-50, I turn the sustain knob just enough to activate the compressor then I turn the level knob up almost the full way. This creates a cool, very sensitive tone that sounds similar to a tube amp. Anyways, I just find the pups in my Jackson sound a bit flat and lifeless, especially the neck pup.
its cliche for a reason.

Its just a fact that the vast majority of your tone is coming from your amp. You could put amazing pickups in your guitar, but the amp is the real bottleneck here, not the pickups. And I know this because I own a Cube 60. It has nothing on my 6505. The only thing the Cube does better are cleans.

I've heard amazing tones from guitars that are considered to have crap pickups and the amp is the reason they sound so great. Fancy pickups are never a bad thing, but the amount of difference they make is overrated when you look at the bigger picture.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 19, 2015,
Quote by JFinn
Haha I was expecting that response to pop up soon enough I`m actually fairly happy with the sounds I can get with the Cube 60 and the ME-50 together. I think the thing that really makes my tone is the compressor on the ME-50, I turn the sustain knob just enough to activate the compressor then I turn the level knob up almost the full way. This creates a cool, very sensitive tone that sounds similar to a tube amp. Anyways, I just find the pups in my Jackson sound a bit flat and lifeless, especially the neck pup.

Wait.

I missed something along the way. Did you try the Jackson -- as is -- with several other amps? With an EQ pedal?

Usually pickups are the last thing on the tone tour; a final tweak or refinement after you've got a great guitar for playability and a great amp and great pedals.

And you never pick pickups by reviews and youtoobz. Leastways, I don't. Shoot, I had people extolling the virtues of Invaders right and left back when. So at some point I bought a really nice custom-built V that had a pair of these tucked into it (not by the builder). They were so bad I began to doubt the quality of the ears on the people who'd recommended them (turns out most of them hadn't actually played Invaders, ever, but had *heard* from someone else that...). I ripped them out and put in a pair of Tom Andersons and that V lit up as if it were grateful. You'll toss away a lot of money relying on Interboobz consensus.

What happens when you get a really great amp and it reveals just how crappy those brand new replacement pickups really are?
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 19, 2015,
Hey all, thanks for the suggestions so far \m/ I know upgrading pups has nothing on a decent tube amp but I`m fairly happy with my tone and EQ settings on my other guitars, two sss strats, however those settings don`t translate very well to the Jackson, the distortion is ok but the cleans sound flat and just dead sounding in general.
ltdguy27, I`ve actually just been looking at the Duncan Distortion to go with the FSN, seems the closest thing so far. How do you think they would go together, tone and output wise? What`s your experience with the Duncan Distortion?
I can't speak for the FSN since i've only played the bridge version and that was for a limited time. I like to pair the distortion with a '59 in the neck to give me variety with the hot ceramic bridge for high gain settings and the '59 for cleans/ vintage tones. It's just another combo worth checking out.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Won't Duncan give you a time swap if you don't like your new pickup? If they still do this make sure you buy from a licensed dealer.

I love my Distortion I dropped in my Kelly. Use it for thrash.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .