I got some advice in the Electric Guitar section about just some general advice, but figured I'd move the follow-up to the gear section to speak specifically on an amp.

About me - just starting out, zero playing experience and have a Squier Strat that is being set up in the shop right now. Looking for a good amp to start playing. Would like something that has a decent sound, but I know I'm now going to be good enough initially to really tell the difference. The big piece - definitely want one with a headphone out.

Music style - going to be playing a bit of everything, but not looking for a metal sound - more into cleaner jazz/blues, rock (Pink Floyd), Eric Clapton/SRV, etc.

Budget - would like to stay around $100-$150 to start out, but flexible.

Considerations initially - Blackstar or Fender Mustang I v2. Found them locally for $99 and $119. Any feedback on those or other options?

(In Louisville, KY)
Peavey Vypyrs or Roland Cubes will give you a lot of good sounds. You'll just want to avoid MGs and probably that Fender Mustang.

If you can't do any better, a Line6 Spider IV wouldn't be the worst thing.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
The budget doesn't give us much to work on, but if that's all you have... In that price range, the Fender will be a decent option - considering the genres you want to play. You might also want to look at the Roland Cube series. I believe most of them also have headphone jacks.
+1 for the biggest Peavey Vyper you can afford. I'd guess Louisville would have a pretty healthy used gear market, check Craigslist if you haven't already. You can get a lot more bang for your buck going used.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Budget can be adjusted. Just starting out I just dont want a crazy amp I won't know what to do with. Not looking to perform or blow out the neighbors, just a good one to learn and play with. So if adding another $50-$100 and helps a lot that I can work with. (Total budget maybe around $250ish?)
The suggestion to go used is a good one. You can certainly afford a lot more amp going used, than buying brand new.

Let me give you my philosophy on buying more amp, guitar, or whatever than you need. You're just starting out and you're afraid to buy something that's going to be, possibly, too good, or more than you need right now. If you stick with this and keep playing, you're going to outgrow the cheap starter amp. At that point, you'll have to start looking at buying something to upgrade it. The starter amp won't be worth much, so selling it won't yield much of a return. My suggestion is to buy as much amp as you can afford. Trust me, you will grow into it. If you decide to quit playing, or decide to upgrade that amp, it will tend to hold its value a bit better, so you'll get more out of it.
I agree with Steven, get an amp that will last a while rather than an inexpensive beginner practice amp. Nothing wrong with those, I've had a few and have a 74 Fender Champ I love right now, but I knew what I was getting into when I got all of my cheap practice amps. First one I got I had been playing over 20 years, and had been playing gigs for a good while on stage ready amps...I already knew what to expect. I got rid of them all eventually, the Champ is the only one that will stay with me for frickin ever...

Look around at pawn shops, craigslist, I've found amps at yard sales even. Try for around 20 watts and at least 10" speaker, it can always be played at low volume for bedroom use. I use my Fender Super Reverb (45 watts) as a bedroom practice amp a lot. It's in the practice room now, so I Just use the Champ at home, but I've used it hundreds of times at bedroom volume levels. Just looking at our local craigslist I see a half dozen decent amps, and a couple of gig capable tube amps.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Nice original post c:

I'll push a VOX Valvetronix (VT 20+), for those Floyd cleans and classic rock emulation. Very nice sounds on that amp for the price. It's very easy to dial in those kinds of tones (usually just one knob).

Peavey Vypyrs and Roland Cubes are good as well, although I think your best bet would be the VT. I know the Vypyr just by reputation, but I'm not familiar with it completely. The Cubes seem to have metal as their forte.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 19, 2015,
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Vox AC4 combo be suitable for what TS wants to play?
1/4 - 4 watts, all tube. I don't own one but it's on my radar.

As for the Mustang, I do own one (Mustang 1 V1) and, IMO, the cleans are a a lot better than the Peavey Vypyrs. It's the opposite for high gain though, it's decent with a fair amount of tweaking but it lacks something that I can't really name.

Also, +1 on all the "go used" posts.
^Not so much. The VOX sound, yes somewhat. But I doubt TS has any pedals to compensate for the AC4's lack of parameters. It's also fairly expensive for what it is compared to practice modeling amps...
Quote by Will Lane
^Not so much. The VOX sound, yes somewhat. But I doubt TS has any pedals to compensate for the AC4's lack of parameters. It's also fairly expensive for what it is compared to practice modeling amps...

Yup . . . no pedals

Looking around here locally, kind of thinking maybe the Roland Cube, still maybe the Fender Mustang, or seeing what I can grab from Peavy or Vox VT20+. Part of my problem though is sound wise, I don't really know how the amp relates and changes the sound through. (Like I said, complete noob). So I guess the more options I have to at least be able to walk out of the first amp and say "I want an amp that does XXX better" and then go from there. Just from what I'm seeing, I can see the Cube or the Fender doing that (not sure about the others - haven't fully researched them). But that would probably be the best first amp, something that maybe doesn't do it all great, but does a bit of modeling that I can see how it affects sound.
And just found used

VOX VT50
Peavey Bandit 112
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Champion 40
Line 6 Spider IV 15 . . . any opinions?
Quote by Shaolindelt
And just found used

VOX VT50
Peavey Bandit 112
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Champion 40
Line 6 Spider IV 15 . . . any opinions?

no to the spider. the bandit is better than the rage, but i wouldn't go with either. i am not familiar with the fender, but the VT is a decent modeling amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Roland Cube has some pretty good tones for a variety of music. If you can stretch to $250 find a used Fender SuperChamp XD. This is a grab-and-go keeper with really good tone and small gig possibilities. It doesn't go metal but is a really good classic rock/Blues amp that is small and cheap.

This one is not too far away and a good price. http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/4890515306.html

Or this:
https://louisville.craigslist.org/msd/4870161418.html

This little guy is tiny but a damn fine practice amp that can run on batteries:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msd/4880320966.html

No Spiders please.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 20, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Roland Cube has some pretty good tones for a variety of music. If you can stretch to $250 find a used Fender SuperChamp XD. This is a grab-and-go keeper with really good tone and small gig possibilities. It doesn't go metal but is a really good classic rock/Blues amp that is small and cheap.

No Spiders please.

i totally agree. if you don't need metal, the SCXD's are pretty neat. and a keeper not a throwaway. i haven't played one for a while, but i remember liking it, and i just youtubed it and i think it would be a good way to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Awesome advice guys - thanks! I'm going to reach out to some of the Craigslist guys and see if the gear is still out there and see what I can dig up.
The Bandit is a really nice amp because it has no digital modeling effects, so you get a 100% analog sound. The built-in attentuator is a nice feature as well. However, without any modeling, you're limited to the sounds in the amp.

Vox VT50 will be a better choice if you want to achieve a lot of different sounds and still get good tone.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
If you're into modern metal, I wouldn't recommend the VT. If you're into older metal, the VT will be perfect for you, they're sweet starter amps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Again - kind of going classic rock, blues, cleaner sounds (SRV, Clapton, Floyd) . . . so looks like the VT is doable.
Quote by Shaolindelt
Again - kind of going classic rock, blues, cleaner sounds (SRV, Clapton, Floyd) . . . so looks like the VT is doable.

Oh, then hell yeah! The VT is your amp. You mentioned metal in your op so I immediately thought Vyper. But if you're playing mid-gain stuff the VT is great. I've owned a few of 'em and still have a VT30. They take a bit of getting used to but once you start figuring out how to dial it in, it'll pull some shockingly sweet tone. Its my personal favorite modeler and the tone I usually like to use would probably be described as classic rock tone.

Alternatively, if you can find an Epi Valve Jr, its a dirt cheap, super simple lil tube amp. Throw a Boss SD1 in front and you've got yourself a classic rock tone machine! Though theres no headphones jack.
Quote by lucky1978
Oh, then hell yeah! The VT is your amp. You mentioned metal in your op so I immediately thought Vyper. But if you're playing mid-gain stuff the VT is great. I've owned a few of 'em and still have a VT30. They take a bit of getting used to but once you start figuring out how to dial it in, it'll pull some shockingly sweet tone. Its my personal favorite modeler and the tone I usually like to use would probably be described as classic rock tone.

Alternatively, if you can find an Epi Valve Jr, its a dirt cheap, super simple lil tube amp. Throw a Boss SD1 in front and you've got yourself a classic rock tone machine! Though theres no headphones jack.

Sweet. I'll see what I can get. And yeah the OP I said "
Music style - going to be playing a bit of everything, but not looking for a metal sound - more into cleaner jazz/blues, rock (Pink Floyd), Eric Clapton/SRV, etc.

Might not have been super clear but NOT looking for a metal sound.